Acceleration Issues.

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Acceleration Issues.

First I'd like to say hello to everyone, Im Very glad I've found this site. The people here seem to enjoy their Oldsmobiles just as much as I do so its always nice to see others who think similar to you.

Although I do enjoy my 86 Cutlass Supreme, its been giving some real bad kicks over the last few months, and I've never been able to find anyone who may know what the problem would be. Ill explain some situations that may accure while driving the car. The "bucking" ( Ill call it bucking, but it almost feels like when you drive thru big puddles on the road and it slows your car down in very short quick spurts, Not a great decrease in speed, but just enough to notice some jerking around ). I may notice this bucking while either driving up steep hills and most often while Im accelerating on a strait road. Most times it happens around the 70-80 Kmph zone and the 115-120 kmph zone.

I know the 307 In the car shouldnt put out that much power, but I do believe it shouldnt buck at those speeds. It is a carburated engine and it has around 240km's on it.

The car has never been winter driven and my framerails ( luckly ) werent bitten by the rust bug wich so many other oldsmobiles had been in that year. I plan to do a total engine repair/rebuild this winter as a will have my own garage to work on it this year, hopfully I will be able to get further info on the car as the months go by.

Another cool tidbit I learned about my car the last month or so is that it was in the Alberta Expo event, used as a rental car or something along those lines. GM sold the cars for the event then after the event was over GM bought the cars back for a lesser ammount of money. The result? a small GM expo sticker in my rear driverside window.

Just thought that was some cool info I wanted to share on here for the first time.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to provide enough information for anyone to possibly diagnose the problem. I would be VERY greatfull if someone could give me a nudge in the right direction as to what may be the problem with this car.
Old October 19th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Past Administrator

Well, welcome to our site, I hope you enjoy it. I would recommend that you check/replaced the fuel filter first, if that doesn't fix it perhaps a closer look at the carburetor would help. Since you plan a rebuild on the car perhaps doing the carb should be one of the items you do. A leaky baseplate gasket would allow too much air into the fuel/air mixture especially on low vacumm situations like acceleration. I am not sure about the ignition system in your car but you probably have an HEI distributor but can still adjust the timing, you might check the timing as it may be too retarded, this could cause the problem you describe (maybe). I hope this helps and let us know what turns up, ok?
Old October 19th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Hello and welcome!

I agree with Dan (especially on the fuel filter and timing) and would just like to add changing plugs, rotor, cap, and plug wires. Basically, a good tune up is the place to start!

C.J.
Old October 19th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the info guys! Itll be put to good use.

Im thinking of making a online journal of all the work I do on the car. Ill have before, after and during pictures for the viewers, and part descriptions on what I used and what I didnt use and why.

This will be the first time the engine has been taken appart since I've owned it so its probally going to turnout to be more of a suprize to me then Im expecting, but Ill take everything as it comes.

The reconstruction date should be sometime around the first of November. My (small) garage is still getting the final touches put on it, and I still need to find a winter junker to drive while I work on my main everyday driver the Olds.

I'll surely keep you guys posted on my progress but the good stuff shouldnt start for a few more weeks.

I've still yet to get any desks and work tables bought/built yet. Im also thinking of buying a engine crane and the motor lifts that rotate 360' for easy access. Anyone know if they're worth the money or if its best to just set the engine on a block of somekind and work on it while its stationary?

Thanks again guys! look forward to hearing from you.
Old October 20th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Past Administrator

You can buy an engine hoist (cherry picker) which has a manually operated hydraulic cylinder to lift the engine out of the car, they aren't cheap and are quite heavy but the only way to do it safely imho. You can also buy an engine stand to work on it, the engine bolts to the stand where the tranny/bell housing usually would by adjustable arms. Again, the only way to go. If you get yourself a work bench get/build one that is very sturdy and preferably with a steel top to it, they last longer and are more durable. I built one out of 4X4's (legs and top frame) and 1X12 boards (top) and wish now I would have plated the top with some sheet steel, my bench vise is also working loose because of the board top. Good luck!
Old October 20th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I bought a used engine stand for less than $30. I rent a cherry picker if I need it. I couldn't see investing in one and have it sit around. My work bench is a kitchen counter base ($20 closeout at Home Depot) with a top made from an old solid core flat door from a salvage place ($10). 8 years later, it's still in good shape.

C.J.