About to start 324 rocket build, what sealants to use?

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2020, 08:30 AM

About to start 324 rocket build, what sealants to use?

I am about to start putting together my 324 rocket. I have the shop manual and it doesn't really make it clear to me regarding the sealants used for building the engine (probably because copper spray, RTV, and thread locker were called something else 64 years ago).

When installing the cylinder head should I use copper spray or something else on the gaskets?

Regarding the intake manifold the shop manual instructs to dip the bolts in C,P. NO.9 sealer (Nat, Machine Prod. Co). Is that just thread locker?

When putting the oil pump together I believe I should pack it with petroleum jelly to prime it; however, I may not attempt to start this engine for several months. Is there anything else I can use? I'm afraid the jelly wont hold for several months when the Florida heat comes back.

Thanks guys!
Art

Last edited by Ihatefiberglass; December 9th, 2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old December 9th, 2020, 10:19 PM
Phantom Phixer

Gasket manufacturing and sealant methods have changed greatly since the original Chassis Shop Manuals were written years ago .
So recommendations in them should sometimes be taken with a grain of salt .

Most modern gasket manufacturers recommend that head and manifold gaskets be installed dry , with no sealant applied .
Paper and cork gaskets should be held in place by coating one side of the gasket with a product such as Permatex " High Tack " . (brush or spray )
Silicone sealer should be used on oil pan corners . White " Teflon " thread sealer ( brush on ) should be used on head and manifold bolt threads where the bolt holes extend into the water jacket .

The best way to prime the oil system is to remove the distributor and rig up a shaft on a reversible electric drill and spin the pump with the drill until you get oil pressure .
Then drop the distributor back in . And start the engine .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; December 10th, 2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old December 10th, 2020, 07:02 AM

What Charlie said above. Sometimes cork gaskets are shrunk so much (from sitting in a box for years) that they will need to be soaked in water awhile for the holes to match up but other than that do what you would so to a modern engine.....Tedd
Old December 11th, 2020, 05:41 PM

Thanks guys! I thought I'd ask the experts before I went and screwed something up.