Engine assembly question

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:55 PM

Engine assembly question

Ok all, my shop manual calls to use "gasket goo" on the head bolts on my 1961 394. What is everyone else using, I am thinking maybe permatex aviation #3. What do you all think?
Old May 25th, 2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by SavedbyHim
Ok all, my shop manual calls to use "gasket goo" on the head bolts on my 1961 394. What is everyone else using, I am thinking maybe permatex aviation #3. What do you all think?
On page 8-7 of the 1961 Oldsmobile Service Manual (Second Edition) it says to use P.O.B. No. 3 gasket sealer on both sides of the head gasket and C.P. No. 9 sealer to the head bolts. (Similarly, it says to use the C.P. No. 9 on the intake manifold bolts.) Tighten head bolts with rocker shaft in place. Use the tightening sequence. The large bolts get 50-60 ft-lbs. on the first pass. The small ones get 14-22 ft-lbs. On the second pass the large ones get 60-80 ft-lbs.; the small ones still get 14-22 ft-lbs.
Old May 25th, 2013, 04:35 PM

Hey ozzie, I have the first edition manual, and it says, on page 8-7, to put "perfect seal gasket paste" on head gasket, and gasket goo on head bolts. My question is, what should I use as I dont have a clue what gasket goo is, and I do not know of the stuff your book mentions, soooo, how about aviation #3 or #2.
Old May 25th, 2013, 04:54 PM

On my rebuilds I don't use any sealer on the head gaskets,the gasket paste is for the steel shim style and the felpro type don't require it.I use permatex thread sealer on all bolts as some are into the cooling gallery and others are in the oil passages. I have done several 394s in the past 30 years and the only problem I have had is with the felpro split neopreme rear main lip seal.On monday I have to pull the engine out of my 63 98 convertible and replace the seal again,this time I'm going to use the new rope style.
Steve
Old May 25th, 2013, 05:22 PM

Hey oldskeeper, thanks, I am rebuilding my 394, my question is which permatex thread sealer, there are several. Good to know about the rope style seal. Also, what oil do ya run.
Old May 25th, 2013, 05:28 PM

i don't use sealer either
Old May 26th, 2013, 08:40 AM

Exclamation Check your surfaces carefully

Originally Posted by SavedbyHim
Hey ozzie, I have the first edition manual, and it says, on page 8-7, to put "perfect seal gasket paste" on head gasket, and gasket goo on head bolts. My question is, what should I use as I dont have a clue what gasket goo is, and I do not know of the stuff your book mentions, soooo, how about aviation #3 or #2.
As has been mentioned, I usually don't put much (if anything) on my head gaskets. A lot of "goo" has a tendency to migrate into coolant passages and the cylinder. Be sure to do a thorough check of the surfaces. If the block and the heads are "straight" and without pitting or scrapes of any kind you probably don't need any "goo" on the gasket. Be sure to check around coolant passages. Highly acidic coolants can cause pitting. (This is usually worse on aluminum parts.) If you want something, you could use a light spray sealant. Also, as has been mentioned, any bolts going into a coolant or oil passage probably should have something on them. I would use a non-hardening sealant which can tolerate the fluids involved and the operating temperatures.
Old May 26th, 2013, 09:57 AM

I have used Permatex high tack spray on both sides with no problems I agree with Ozzie to not use much just a light spray on each side let it tack up and your good. jmo.
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:16 PM

Hey all, thanks for your input, but if you read my original post, I am not wanting to know about head gaskets, as I was not going to use sealer on them, but the head bolts. I have found that several people are using permatex, either # 2 or 3, that is mostly what I would like answered, which is better, on head BOLTS.
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:34 PM

Sorry! I should have read more clearly, I use the Permatex Aviation number 3 at least that is what I have used in the past and works well. The bottle says it stands up to water,gas, oil and withstands pressures of 5000psi. Approved for all aviation!! Including Oldsmobile Rockets!!
Old May 26th, 2013, 03:33 PM

Thanks 442rocketdave, that is what I will use. Say, what oil do you guys run in these things.
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:17 PM

Since the zinc has been removed and other things, the oil I use is racing oil and I am only paying 5.95 qt for it and it has zinc and the other additives, but of course its not for street use, racing only hehe anyway you have to use some kind of additive if your using the regular oils including synthetic, Comp Cams makes a great break in oil! Valvoline seems to be easy to obtain and reasonable.
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

most advance auto parts stores carry the lucas oil zddp additive it runs about 13.99 for a 16 oz. bottle. I have used it for years. It can be used as a break in additive when added along with the full oil capacitiy of your oil system and used under normal driving to top of your system . so if you system calls for 5 qts it's 5 plus the additive for the break in then under normal circumstances its 4.5 qts plus the half qt. of lucas.
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:51 PM

Have you guys heard of classic car motor oil here http://www.classiccarmotoroil.com/index.html
It sounds interesting?