PST Tie Rod Assembly Question (68 Vista)

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2010, 06:54 PM

PST Tie Rod Assembly Question (68 Vista)

Hi all, I have a dumb question.

I am assembling the inner / outer tie rods with new adjusting sleeves and center link using kit from PST.

I realize tha the inner and outer tie-rods are different and one of each goes to the adjusting link. Problem is, I do not know which one is the inner and which is the outer once they are assembled. They look very similar. The only visible difference between the two sides are. Which side attaches to the center link and which side to the wheels?

1 of them:
- has a part number TRE-33RL
- Has a blue plastic protective sleeve on it (not meant to stay on after install)
- The rubber cover on the ball joint part is more dome shaped and has 6 small raised bumps all around it.

The other:
- Has a taller ruber cover, smooth all around.

Any guidance in telling which side is which would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:18 PM

are the grease zerks in different positions when you compare the tie rods?
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:43 AM

is one end longer than the other?
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70Post
are the grease zerks in different positions when you compare the tie rods?
DING, DING, DING. We have a winner. The inboard ends have the grease fitting opposite the threaded portion. The outboard ends have the grease fitting opposite the tapered stud.
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
DING, DING, DING. We have a winner. The inboard ends have the grease fitting opposite the threaded portion. The outboard ends have the grease fitting opposite the tapered stud.
Indeed, that is how the originals look (I have the whole assembly sitting on the floor).

However, on the new tie rods, the fittings are opposite the tapered stud for both inner and outer. Inner and outer are same length, main diff being the rubber boot types.

Not sure if having fittings in non-original position will pose a problem. Guess I need to call P-S-T in the morning.

Thanks.
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:07 PM

The grease zerks on yours are likely fine....I have seen this "normal" orientation of the zerks on even top brands like Moog.

Call them anyway but I almost guarantee you they will say "those are fine and will work" or they won't have a clue what you talking about.

You will need to check and see if the inner tie rods, with the zerks installed, interfere with the crossmember as the wheels are turned lock-to-lock.

I have a pair of new NAPA/Dana inner tie rods here..the inner tie rods are threaded WITH REVERSE THREADS on the threaded portion of the shaft.

The outers have regular threads (ie they tighten when you spin the tie rod clockwise).
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post

I have a pair of new NAPA/Dana inner tie rods here..the inner tie rods are threaded WITH REVERSE THREADS on the threaded portion of the shaft.

The outers have regular threads (ie they tighten when you spin the tie rod clockwise).
Aha! I think that is the answer as indeed the threads are as you describe.

I will not be doing anything with it before tomorrow so I will give them a call and confirm.

Thanks,

Mike
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:02 PM

Called P-S-T, indeed the thread direction is the key. Outer are clockwise with the rubber nibs on the boot.

I did ask about the zerk location. They tell me that "some Chevelle owners have run into a problem with interference on the cross-member". They suggest removing zerks after greasing and putting in a cap screw hat they will send me. Not ideal but I guess it should work.

Thanks again.