7A or Edelbrock heads

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2014, 09:24 AM

7A or Edelbrock heads

Hi everyone.
I am going to be rebuilding/modifying the Rocket 350 in my cutlass over the winter. I have come across some edelbrock heads for a good price but am not sure if I should use them or modify my factory 7A heads. I haven't finalized what im doing to the engine but im leaning towards, boring it .030 or so over, flat top pistons, new rods, cam, high flow oil pump and larger pan, hydraulic roller valve train and then getting the rotating group balanced. What is everyones experience with the head options? If i keep factory heads I will get larger valves put in but am I better just to go to the Edelbrock aluminum ones?
Old October 5th, 2014, 12:07 PM

With all of your plans for the build, the aluminum heads are the way to go. Get them milled to get some good compression. You're on your way to a very nice, strong build.
Old October 5th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What's the end goal for the car? Is it for street or show? Nothing really wrong with 7A heads - they have hardened intake and exhaust valve seats. Just they weigh more. If you're going to machine them anyway, why not keep them?
Old October 5th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I believe Edelebrock heads will flow a lot better than those 7a. I would definitely go with Edelbrocks.
Old October 5th, 2014, 01:32 PM

heads

Go with the Edelbrock heads.
Old October 5th, 2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
I believe Edelebrock heads will flow a lot better than those 7a. I would definitely go with Edelbrocks.
X2.
Better flow, better combustion chamber and a whole bunch lighter. This is a no brainer imo.
And new rods? What are you buying? Just an fyi there aren't any stock spec aftermarket rods for a sbo that are worth a crap.

Last edited by cutlassefi; October 5th, 2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old October 5th, 2014, 05:42 PM

Well the heads sold before I had a chance to get there. I'm going to look into the cost to machine the 7a's to accept larger valves similar to the Edelbrocks. If the price is approaching new Edelbrock price then I may go that route and not bother with the stockers. I'm not building a show car or a race car just want a good strong driver.
Just an fyi there aren't any stock spec aftermarket rods for a sbo that are worth a crap.
Cutlassefi, what is wrong with the stock spec aftermarket rods that are available?

Thanks.
Old October 5th, 2014, 06:45 PM

heads

Originally Posted by CanadianCutlass
Well the heads sold before I had a chance to get there. I'm going to look into the cost to machine the 7a's to accept larger valves similar to the Edelbrocks. If the price is approaching new Edelbrock price then I may go that route and not bother with the stockers. I'm not building a show car or a race car just want a good strong driver.

Cutlassefi, what is wrong with the stock spec aftermarket rods that are available?

Thanks.

You really did not expect those heads to still be there @ that price did you? They're on the shelf in my shop waiting to be picked up by the guy I bought them for.

Next time you see a set of Edelbrock heads with guide plates, upgraded springs, upsize rocker studs & a port matched Torker intake for $1000 Can ($900 US) you buy them & decide later what to do with them.

Sorry man but they were too good to pass up. That deal was done two days ago & he just delivered the heads to me this morning.

That aside you should still get Edelbrock heads. Good luck with your project.
Old October 5th, 2014, 06:51 PM

Unfortunately I am away until Wednesday and just saw them today. If I had seen them sooner and I was home I would have bought them.
Old October 5th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I would talk to John at rocket racing performance . He offers the pro comps as a cost effective alternative to the eldelbrocks . Of course they have their own heads but that's if you really wanna pound some pavement. He did a set of #6 heads for me and they ran a little over 1000 but he used quality parts and everything was replace springs retainers , the heads where milled the works for a set of worn out heads. The procomps are a good deal but with the sbo you might have issues with the fuel pump where you will need an electric one, you will need to port the intake to match the bbo sized runners , you will need to mill the heads since they have bbo sized chambers , All things you gotta think about and specially your plans budget and all those things to consider. They are a great deal and they could be something to invest in for not only your current build but for down the road.
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:03 PM

Rocket Racing Heads

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I would talk to John at rocket racing performance . He offers the pro comps as a cost effective alternative to the eldelbrocks . Of course they have their own heads but that's if you really wanna pound some pavement. He did a set of #6 heads for me and they ran a little over 1000 but he used quality parts and everything was replace springs retainers , the heads where milled the works for a set of worn out heads. The procomps are a good deal but with the sbo you might have issues with the fuel pump where you will need an electric one, you will need to port the intake to match the bbo sized runners , you will need to mill the heads since they have bbo sized chambers , All things you gotta think about and specially your plans budget and all those things to consider. They are a great deal and they could be something to invest in for not only your current build but for down the road.

Strangely these Edelbrocks were only available because they seller switched over to Rocket Racing heads & intake on his Olds powered TA.
Old October 6th, 2014, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianCutlass

Thanks.
Workmanship is poor.

Have you thought about going the stroker route? The main difference in that vs a stock setup is just the cost of grinding the crank. Rods and pistons can be cheaper than the stock Olds stuff. Just a thought.
And cutting a set of Procomps for the right compression is no big deal. I got a set from Bernard Mondello for "70cutty's" build. I'd do that again in a minute.
Yes you'll need to port match and the rest of the stuff, but you would have had to do that with the Edelbrocks as well.

Let us know which way you go. Thanks!!
Old October 6th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

It sucks that their are no decent drop in rods for us. Another option is buying a piston like Probe for the Olds 350 and an aftermarket large journal 6" sbc rod. The small end need enlarged to the Olds pin size and the crank needs a .025" cut I believe and journals widened for proper rod side clearance. Of course Mark's idea gives you more cubes and piston options but will probably cost a bit more for machine work. Smitty from M+J Proformance sells 330 steel cranks stroked and ready to go if they want ridiculous money to do it up here.