78 Cutlass Salon 260v8 Brackets and Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2022, 12:26 PM

78 Cutlass Salon 260v8 Brackets and Pulleys

Hello, I new to the forum. I have a 1978 Cutlass Salon 260 v8 engine, that came in pieces. Some of the parts were in the back seat and the rest are in the trunk which has a broken off key stuck in the
lock. I figured I would try and get it running first and then figure out how to gain access to the trunk. I do have a couple brackets that were in the back seat. I was told the power steering pump and remaining stuff for the carburetor are in the trunk. What I need help with is I have no idea where the brackets bolt up. I've been looking but can't seem to find a good diagram for the brackets and pulleys. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Working A/C

Dont know if this is the right alternator but this is what came with it.
Old December 7th, 2022, 12:59 PM

I was in the same boat as you but with a different motor. The best thing that helped me was 1) search this forum for pictures and posts and 2) go to the local library and order a 'Chassis Service Manual' for that year or close to it. It has all the diagrams, pictures and part numbers to explain. It was more convenient to me to have a book in my hands when doing the work than electronic version.

But here is an online version that might help, see Chapter 6:
1978 Chassis Service Manual
Old December 7th, 2022, 02:09 PM
G-Body Driver

If you want to gain access to the trunk the rear seat is really easy to remove. Just push the bottom cushion rearward to free it up and the just pull it out then there's 2 bolts holding the seat back down, remove those and then lift up vertically a couple inches and the seat back comes off. There's some insulation that'll you'll remove and then you can use a long rod to try to unlatch the trunk.

The power steering bracketry is kinda convoluted (at least on the 82+ 307), there's spacers and multiple pieces of bracketry. The Alt and AC is pretty straight forward.
https://www.chicagomusclecarparts.co...-v8-69-77-olds
Old December 7th, 2022, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by MO Olds 2022
I was in the same boat as you but with a different motor. The best thing that helped me was 1) search this forum for pictures and posts and 2) go to the local library and order a 'Chassis Service Manual' for that year or close to it. It has all the diagrams, pictures and part numbers to explain. It was more convenient to me to have a book in my hands when doing the work than electronic version.

But here is an online version that might help, see Chapter 6:
1978 Chassis Service Manual
Thanks so much, this is going to be a huge help for me...I can knock out a lot of birds with one stone! I think the brackets are going to be a pain but there was no way I would have been able to figure it out without this info, hopefully I'm not missing any parts.
Old December 7th, 2022, 05:17 PM

I got the lower rear seat out by following your instructions but the bolts that hold the seat/seatbelts are pretty rusty I was able to finally break them loose after letting them soak in PB blaster but I semi stripped them using a breaker bar, because my impact wrench stopped working. I will borrow a impact tommorrow and I plan on slowly tightening an loosen the bolts while spraying them with lube until they come off. Hopefully I will be in the trunk soon, thanks.
Old December 7th, 2022, 07:37 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Welcome. Pay close attention to the spacer positions in that diagram or everything will be **** eyed and not line up properly. Ah the days where a 37 amp alternator was enough.
Old December 19th, 2022, 05:28 PM

Good news, I finally got the back seat out and the trunk open. There's also bad news, the missing alternator brackets and breather hose that goes to the air cleaner housing were not in the trunk.. Any suggestions on where I can find replacements, I still don't know what the alternator bracket looks like, also haven't figured out how the A/C brackets go,, not to many pictures to be found online,,any suggestions?
Old December 19th, 2022, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 78Soapbar
Good news, I finally got the back seat out and the trunk open. There's also bad news, the missing alternator brackets and breather hose that goes to the air cleaner housing were not in the trunk.. Any suggestions on where I can find replacements, I still don't know what the alternator bracket looks like, also haven't figured out how the A/C brackets go,, not to many pictures to be found online,,any suggestions?
I've had luck on FB marketplace, craigslist and eBay. Most of what you need can come from a 307, 350 or 403 as well; expand your searching. Sometimes if someone is selling a motor I reach out and ask if they'd sell brackets separately especially if the motor looks like a rebuilder.

Oldsmobile 260 V8
Old December 19th, 2022, 06:47 PM

Here's a quick thread with a good A/C picture
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...es-fit-145602/
Old December 19th, 2022, 06:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

Get one of these, which will have the bracket diagrams and every other bit of information you need to put that car back together, get it running, and keep it maintained. This particular one is currently $10 on ebay with free shipping. Another is $6.25 with $6 shipping. There are many.

Old December 20th, 2022, 08:15 AM

Thanks, now that I know what shape the top bracket is. I looked on Ebay they have a 4 piece set on there, the top piece looks just like yours so I'm assuming the other pieces are correct . I'll look on Facebook and Craigslist as well and then buy which ever one is the most convenient based on price/shipping ect.
Old December 20th, 2022, 08:20 AM

My A/C compressor is longer than the one in the pictures, but I think I probably have all the pieces I'll need . Once I snag a Service manual off Ebay hopefully I can solve the installment jigsaw puzzle,lol Thanks again!
Old December 20th, 2022, 08:34 AM

If there is one thing I learned from this old car it's quit guessing and "Buy a damn Service Manual' ,that should have been the first thing I needed too do!
Thanks Joe for pointing out the obvious (dah). Looks like Ebay will be solving at least one if not all my problems for now I appreciate everyone's help.
Old December 20th, 2022, 11:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

The late 70s brackets differ from the early 70s versions. You can use either set as a complete set, just don't try to mix-and-match years. Be sure the pulleys and water pump length match the brackets you select.
Old November 15th, 2023, 04:52 PM

Hey guys, I finally got a little time and money to get my engine project going again. I found the missing upper alternator bracket, I need to find what size bolts and lengths for it. The front power steering pump bracket (458533) is the last thing I'll be looking for.
Any suggestion on were I can pick up the spacers for the power steering pump. Hopefully I should at least be able to get the engine started and running while I'm waiting on my remaning parts. Thanks
Old November 16th, 2023, 06:37 AM

In the illustration that Rogue Rider provided, #9 is available in the link to Chicago Muscle Parts, who also show the dimensions. The washer shown between #1 & #4 is the same as the washers used under the intake manifold bolts, and is necessary for the pullies to line up. Can't help with #8.
Old November 17th, 2023, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by maxi426
In the illustration that Rogue Rider provided, #9 is available in the link to Chicago Muscle Parts, who also show the dimensions. The washer shown between #1 & #4 is the same as the washers used under the intake manifold bolts, and is necessary for the pullies to line up. Can't help with #8.
Thanks, next I'm going to mock things up, take measurements and then order the A/C,P/S and Alt belts that I need. I will try and get it running while I wait for the parts to come in.