72 350 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Question 72 350 rebuild

Hello All,

I pulled my moter with the intent to re-seal and clean it up...now that its out i want to rebuild it....Anyone know of a good place to have work done in the seattle area? I hear of too many people on here talking about getting an olds guru type to do it so it's done right.....any recemendations would be appreciated

thanks
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:46 PM

I believe there's an active 442 club in the Puget Sound area, you might try to contact them and see what they suggest. A little further away, in Portland is a business called Supercars Unlimited. Greg, the owner has been playing with Oldsmobiles for decades and might be able to point you in the right direction for the Portland/Vancouver area. Greg's web site is supercarsunlimited.com and advertizes that Oldsmobile is all they do.
John
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Dead on, 2blu!

Puget Sound contact info is:
http://www.pugetsoundoldsclub.org/
Puget Sound Olds Club
PO Box 82042
Kenmore, WA 98028-0042
email: billiver@aol.com

Greg Rollin is a great guy and Supercars Unlimited is a first class operation.

I got a chance to rub elbows with Puget Sound folks and Greg at the 2005 and 2006 OCA Nationals. I wouldn't hesitate to contact/trust their recommendations. FWIW.

C.J.
Old January 15th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Grown Azz Kid

If I have the cam bearings pressed and the block hot tanked....is the rebuild pretty straight forward as for as the bottom end goes with a stock rebuild?

Or is it complex and need to be sent out?....or would I just have things to look out for if I choose to do the rebuild?

Thanks guys it is appreciated

John
Old January 15th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I rebuilt my first motor by myself when I was 17. 32 years later, it is still the only motor that I built by myself. It was a mostly stock build, pretty much went well and ran great when I was done, but over the years I learned what could have gone wrong/been bad. I'd never do it myself again. But that's me.

C.J.
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Grown Azz Kid

tex.....what motor do you have in your 71 convertible? my 72 convertible is all correct (except the color)and numbers matching. If the rebuild went well why would you notdo it again?....am I underlooking something but if you rebuild it step by stepper the factory manual and specs should go well....right?...or i hope so ......
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Oh...apologies for not being more specific. That first motor was a 289 F*ord from my old 66 Mustang (my second car).

The reasons I wouldn't do it today are mostly time and appreciation of limitations.

I work full time now (I is all growed up!) and can't spare the time. That's why my paint project is at one year and counting!

Appreciation of limitations includes the fact that my engine builder has been driving and racing Oldsmobiles since 1977...and I haven't! There are certainly differences between an Olds and a F*rd or Ch#vy...that's why I had to have the heads redone on my 71 Cutlass about 3 months after I bought it (6 months after the previous oewner had them done).

I've got a numbers matching 350/350 that I'm replacing with a well warmed-over 72 455 and built TH-350. Now I will certainly be there helping my bud drop the pistons and degree the cam, but it's because I want to help and learn...not do it myself.

C.J.
Old January 15th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Texas,

Thanks for the feedback. Any other suggestions? I think I am going to finish the teardown and stock rebuild. I have it out and have gone this far......unless I can find someone that will not cost me an arm and a leg to have a fairly stock rebuild. I would like to get more torque out of it but that all comes at a bigger price tag

what is the easiest wat to bump up the torqe and any reamendations on cam selection or any other upgrades why the motor is on the stand?

Thanks again
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:42 PM

Cam choice will have the most impact on the way your car runs...keep lift under .500 and duration under 225 degrees at .050 for an enjoyable ride with power options still functioning...Factory Olds cam 400165 is a sweet grind and Supercars sells them. Nearly everyone who has brought me an Olds and complained of poor perf. has had the timing chain replaced at some time and since very few Garages degree a cam, I find most are off as much as 6-degrees retarded!!! If you build this motor yourself, beg, borrow or steal the equip. to degree the cam...you will be glad you did.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
Grown Azz Kid

thanks for the comments it is appreciated....any further comments or advise will be welcomed....