'69 350 Intake interchangeability

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2009, 06:26 AM

'69 350 Intake interchangeability

So it seems that most everyone, but not all, change out the stock iron intake for an aluminum aftermarket. I want to try changing out my stock 2V to a stock 4 barrel setup. Not only for the originality, but also to save some $$ versus going aftermarket. But the prices I've seen to rebuild a quadrajet (which I also will have to buy) may make me rethink this direction. I read in the tech section about a 68 "J" intake and that it should problaby be avoided mainly because of the divorced choke, which I don't really understand either. But what year stock intake will fit on the 69 without any issues? Any opinions on this course of action are welcome also. Thanks for the help, Rob
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by HouTXCutlass
So it seems that most everyone, but not all, change out the stock iron intake for an aluminum aftermarket. I want to try changing out my stock 2V to a stock 4 barrel setup. Not only for the originality, but also to save some $$ versus going aftermarket. But the prices I've seen to rebuild a quadrajet (which I also will have to buy) may make me rethink this direction. I read in the tech section about a 68 "J" intake and that it should problaby be avoided mainly because of the divorced choke, which I don't really understand either. But what year stock intake will fit on the 69 without any issues? Any opinions on this course of action are welcome also. Thanks for the help, Rob
The "divorced" choke used a bimetallic spring bolted to the manifold with a rod that actuated the choke plate. This design was used for 1966-1969. The 70-up carbs used the integral choke, with the black circular plastic cover on the passenger side of the carb. You can put an integral choke carb on a divorced choke intake, but not the other way around. You can also easily convert an integral choke to an electric choke, which makes retrofit even easier.

Last edited by joe_padavano; October 20th, 2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Old July 23rd, 2010, 02:04 PM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

I know this is an old thread, but

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The "divorced" choke used a bimetallic spring bolted to the manifold with a rod that actuated the choke plate. This design was used for 1966-1969. The 70-up carbs used the integral choke, with the black circular plastic cover on the passenger side of the carb. You can put an integral choke carb on a divorced choke intake, but not the other way around. You can also easily convert an integral choke to an electric choke, which makes retrofit even easier.
I know this is an old thread, but it makes a great ice breaker. Can I use an typical electric choke kit on a 7028251/7029251 or '68/'69 divorced choke carb so I can use it on an aftermarket intake without the bimetallic spring bolted to the manifold. I feel I have been runing around in circles trying to get a definite answer. Thanks.

Adam
Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by arodenhiser
I know this is an old thread, but it makes a great ice breaker. Can I use an typical electric choke kit on a 7028251/7029251 or '68/'69 divorced choke carb so I can use it on an aftermarket intake without the bimetallic spring bolted to the manifold. I feel I have been runing around in circles trying to get a definite answer. Thanks.

Adam
Well, not exactly. The electric choke kits for Q-jets assume you are converting a carb with an integral hot air choke and so only provide the electric choke coil. The choke housing is not there on the divorced choke carbs. There is an electric conversion kit for the divorced choke carbs, but this assumes that you have a divorced choke manifold since the electric choke on these kits bolts to the manifold, not the carb, and uses a similar linkage rod to the original design.

IF your carb has the vacuum port and mounting bolt holes machined for the choke housing (and some divorced choke carbs do) you can get the choke housing from another Qjet and bolt it to your divorced carb body. THEN you can install the electric choke coil.
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Joe

Do you have any recommendations for a brand and where to get a Divorced to electric choke conversion kit?

Jon