67 C/S 330 headers?

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2021, 02:01 PM

67 C/S 330 headers?

Has any one put headers on a 67 Cutlass Supreme 330 engine?
Old January 14th, 2021, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Previous conversations about headers for a 330, including the last time you asked.
330 header options - ClassicOldsmobile.com
330 engine Headers - ClassicOldsmobile.com
Old January 15th, 2021, 01:18 PM

followed the threads, thanks
Old January 20th, 2021, 07:25 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

As noted in the other threads, the Hooker 3902 big block headers will fit your combo but hang a bit lower. Don't know if those "offshore" Ebay headers are still available but may be worth a look. Also, there are some "shorty" style available now for your combo.
Old January 24th, 2021, 05:52 AM

Brian I had full length headers installed on a 67 Cutlass 330 CID 20 years ago.

They were a pain in the *** from begin to end, car sounded great though. Performance gain I couldn't say, never took her to the track. Seat of the pants didn't feel much different. Mondello had them, the Mondello where Lynn works. I personally dealt with Lynn. It took 3 sets shipped back and forth from California to New York till a set fit correctly. Not cheap, I believe around 450. Install was a PITA also. My car was stick, Z bar needed to be altered and the engine needed to be shimmed up. They still needed a bit of messaging... Cooked one starter after another till I got a starter heat shield. Plenty of hard starting in between. Car had all new suspension factory spec, still bottomed out. Always at the 3 bolt flanges, happened so often had them welded eventually. Pipes took some hits as well. Exhaust probably ended up costing me over 2000 in the end...

Now for the good news, the car sounded amazing. But it was loud. Couldn't order at a drive through without turning the car off. 2 1/2 inch custom pipes to Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers. Car was in very nice shape 2 door Turquoise exterior, black interior. Nice centerline wheel package, a looker. But nothing got attention like the exhaust. Only time in my life I was chased down to be told how amazing the car sounded. Would be asked to rev engine on highway when driving in stop and go traffic. Working guys would come out of a business to talk to me about exhaust sound. Another business man would ask me to do a burn out and accelerate away just to hear the engine open up. This was a regular occurrence, he would ask me every time he saw me. And I was met with the same enthusiastic yell and cheer. Etc etc etc

On the other hand I love a cool car but am not an attention hound. I'm one of those guys that intentionally doesn't line up with other cars at stops. So as to not have to engage in a car conversation. Not being rude, someone beeps me and gives me a thumbs up. I wave back and thank them, but I don't drive these cars for that. I drive them because I love them, I'm just like the fan that's giving the thumbs up. I'm just a fan myself, I see my car with those same loving eyes no more no less.

With that said I guess what I am getting at is, headers aren't worth it on a driver IMHO. I wanted the rolling thunder 20 years ago, now not so much today. Yes I want that potential 20 additional HP but I don't want the headaches or the serenade.... Dammit, I'm getting old...
Old January 25th, 2021, 04:42 PM

All rite, convinced stay stock manifold with dual exhaust.
Old January 29th, 2021, 06:05 AM

Sorry Brian I did not mean to so discourage you, just gave you my honest assessment. Like always there are 2 sides to a coin... Fun71 whos opinion I value very much essentially has an opposite take on this. Although his Cutlass is 3rd generation, he has headers on a daily driver and has little to no complaints to my knowledge.

If you do decide to stay manifolds and forgo the 20 HP potential gain from long tube headers. I would look for every other advantage possible. Maybe an X pipe and performance mufflers. Maybe even shorty headers ? I don't really believe in them but if long tubes are ruled out. Whatever benefit you may see from them would be welcome in addition to the other 2 moves...
Old January 29th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The Thornton shorties are supposed to fit, are they not? I can't remember if anyone has tried Sanderson shorties, they are almost as compact as manifolds, they may fit. I really hope Mark tests the new Sanderson shorties I sent him. We need to put this shorties are worth nothing over manifolds, one way or another to bed. Either it is true or in between full length headers and manifolds, which I believe. I believe Mark found 30 hp difference between Thornton manifolds which slightly better than awful stock manifolds and full length headers. A lot on a nearly stock application. I'm sure a 2.5" X pipe dual exhaust behind even manifolds is a good power gain especially over stock single exhaust with the horrible crossover.
Old April 28th, 2021, 09:23 AM

I tried to put headers on my 66 with a 330. I couldn't get anything to work. I think the closest I came was for an Olds 350. The passenger side went on like a breeze, but the left side hit the steering box. I gave up
Old April 28th, 2021, 09:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 64-67 frames are about 1.5" narrower than the 68-72 frames. That's why the 350 headers don't easily work. When these cars were closer to new, all the header manufacturers made headers for them. Now there is no sustainable market for that product and header manufacturers have discontinued those items.
Old April 29th, 2021, 04:48 PM

I put long tubes on my 330 in my 67 Cutlass -> I was able to find an old used set (BBO), and it seemed to make a difference since I am hearing that the new headers are problematic. They fit perfectly with the exception that I had to raise one motor mount about a half inch to make it work and the big block headers are about 1.5 inches lower, but I can still clear speed bumps with no issues. I don't know the brand (sorry), but if you can find an old used set, it might be worth a try. They sound freaking AWESOME!