355 Olds build cost and parts list

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
No they are in good shape machine shop checked em. My whole rotating assembly is good to go. They are .030 forged speed pro's. The engine didn't run very long if you followed that post it wiped a lobe out. I'm pretty sure I also mentioned the pistons being good.

You said that you are sending the engine to the machine shop for boring and honing with a tq plate that is why I asked about the new pistons.

It's good to see that you are doing your own work

Last edited by Bernhard; August 1st, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old August 1st, 2012, 04:42 PM

Just an FYI for everyone, torque plates are not for boring AND honing. They are for honing only. They are never to be used for locating a boring bar for the boring process, ever.

Last edited by cutlassefi; August 1st, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old August 1st, 2012, 04:52 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Good to know. Haven't really ever had an engine machine so this is a learning curve for me going from junk build to paying someone to machine it. So little stuff like that helps out.
Old August 1st, 2012, 04:53 PM

I think my record player is broken...I keep hearing the same chorus over and over, surely there has to be a new verse to this song
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:16 PM

Yeah yeah lol. This is why we need a bull$h1t section on the forum. It gets to a point like this in a thread then you can just take it there lol.
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:02 PM

Yeah yeah lol. This is why we need a bull$h1t section on the forum. It gets to a point like this in a thread then you can just take it there lol.

Yeah, and you already have a thread devoted to this subject, so why not go there??
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:43 PM

Good to know. Haven't really ever had an engine machine so this is a learning curve for me going from junk build to paying someone to machine it. So little stuff like that helps out.
You say it's already .030 over correct?

If so unless it was done with a torque plate in the first place you may not be able to rehone it with one. In other words if it wasn't done with one before, chances are you won't be able to use one now. By the time you bolt it on it'll pull the cylinders approx .002 out of round, maybe more. By the time you hone that out you may end up with too much piston to wall clearance.
Have your guy run a dial bore in it the way it is now. If it's fairly round then it probably means it wasn't done with one in the first place. That means you're out of luck.

My advice to you is if this is your keeper build and you want to do it right, scrap that block, just use the insides. Then get another block and have it machined correctly.

Just my opinion.
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:47 PM

The block was scraped from the getgo it had some pitting that was too deep to hone I had a spare block and I'm using that. I'm kicking my self in the @ss right now because it turns out the previous balance was way off it would have been beter to use one of my spare cranks that neede little to no grinding. Dídnt know untill I picked my stuff up but oh well is what it is I'm still happy with how my budget is staying some what in place.
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:05 PM

As I've mentioned before, slow down. You seem to have a plan to start with but don't take the time to consider all your options when something throws you a curve as it progresses.

Just the impression I get.
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:10 PM

If that was directed towards me my current build is undergoing all the proper steps. I built my junk build 350 knowing well that it would not last long. I invested all my money on the heads and valve train since i had a tight budget all that carries over to my next build. Im actually re rebuiilding someone's failed build i picked up at a swap meet for 500 dolllars. was .030 already just got the rotating assy. back sending out the block next and it is getting torque plate for boring and honing.
As usual you didn't mention it was another block and not the one that was included in the $500.00 core.

For once do you think you could put everything in one post?

I've really tried to help, but you don't learn do you.
Best of luck in this fragmented build as well.

Last edited by cutlassefi; August 1st, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:13 PM

It was mentioned I'm my thread for this build. Since everyone was talking about my build I would assume people took a look and saw what I had going on. Not beimg a smart @ss but I did put that on my thread. I have been updating it as soon as I get parts back or stuff comes up.
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:20 PM

From now on if anyone has input or anything on one of my builds I have threads up post there. I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression. I do take advice but when I feel someone is out to make me look bad or what I feel is an attack I will say something. We all have diffrent view, budgets, ideas, and ways of doing things. Let this thread die.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:20 AM

My 355 with a ton of used parts cost me 3800 to build.
Farmed out machine work and built myself.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jharken
My 355 with a ton of used parts cost me 3800 to build.
Farmed out machine work and built myself.
Are you saying you saved money or you wish you had spent the extra $700 for all new parts?
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Are you saying you saved money or you wish you had spent the extra $700 for all new parts?
(Saved money)

Would cost more for sure.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:49 PM

I believe the OP spent $4500 on his and he used all new parts...I think I would opt for the latter because $700 saved isn't worth the time and risk it takes to get old parts.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
I believe the OP spent $4500 on his and he used all new parts...I think I would opt for the latter because $700 saved isn't worth the time and risk it takes to get old parts.
I used old parts like my rpm manifold and headers and some head work that was already done the build before.
Old March 15th, 2014, 07:04 AM

Sorry for the resurrection but...

I know this is an old thread, but it seems unresolved to me, so even though everybody has moved along, and while it's fresh in my head, I need to make a few observations...

CaptJim, I read through your link defining what constitutes a 'proper rebuild'. That document makes no mention of machining anything. By that definition, if you machine/regrind a crankshaft, bore cylinders, mill heads, etc., then it is not a 'rebuild' because those parts are no longer at original factory spec. To be a true and proper rebuild by that definition, the crankshaft would have to be either still at factory specs or be replaced with a new crank at exact original specs. Cylinders maybe could be bored and sleeved to the original diameter, but could not be left .030" overbored, because that is not factory spec. That definition was very clear that if any item was not at factory spec, it needs to be replaced with a new part at factory dimensions... so with all due respect (and I am very sincere about that), by your own definition, you did not do a 'rebuild', even though you did a great build. The title of the thread '355 Olds Build...' is absolutely correct. Semantics are really tricky, and a little dangerous.

Copper, I respect what you are doing wholeheartedly, but you have said a dozen times how you 'rebuilt' two engines for much less money ($2500 and $3500), and your success rate was 50%. To me that means that while CaptJim spent $4500 on a performance build with new parts, you spent $6000 and have one engine left. So you each ended up with one viable engine, but Jim spent $1500 less than you did on your budget/scrounge builds. This isn't intended to disparage your efforts at all, but realistically, it could be easily argued that some better/new parts might have left you with two good engines instead of one. In your case, I would consider that $1500 the cost of education and experience, so it was money well-spent and really, quite a good bargain. Now, please do put some of your energy into making sure your posts are more readable and clear. It will help everybody, including yourself.

MDchanic and Cutlassefi, if you guys were in Washington, Obamacare would still be something that makes sense rather than what it ended up being.

JP
Old March 15th, 2014, 07:14 AM

Actually I'm out 500 on one build because the whole top end is sitting on my current set up and I sold stuff off of it. And the other build is currently kicking alive in my dads car so I have 2 engines 1 died and I'm down 500 bucks. That was not including my current 355. I'm not down nearly what you think. So I'm down 500 between 3 engines actually which still cost me under 7k for all of them. My current 355 was a swap meet build but it had nice re usable forged pistons I had it all balanced and machined etc etc. I'm still way ahead of the ball. When I start loosing money I'll change my ways trust me. You need to do more researc before saying I'm down X amount of dollars . My first engine ran in the 2500 range complete carb and all. Then the 350 with the rrp top end they did for me ran me over 3 I think it was in the 3300 range. Then my current build the short block ran me close to 2k then add the 1600 for the top end that's 3600. I also see it as cost of learning. My current under construction build is by far the cheapest but I scored really good parts and I'm paying attention to the littles detail. I love doint this stuff so being able to do it my self and learning from my mistakes is something I'm willing to do to be self reliable . This current build will be #4 i

Last edited by coppercutlass; March 15th, 2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old March 15th, 2014, 07:48 AM
major noob

I must be doing good then ive only invested about 300 and im almost ready to put back together although im doing all work myself and not going all out on performance parts and stuff. gives me a good idea for what im looking at later on in life if there are still any shops around by then who know what the heck a carburetor and such are ahha
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Leadfoot
I know this is an old thread, but it seems unresolved to me, so even though everybody has moved along, and while it's fresh in my head, I need to make a few observations...

CaptJim, I read through your link defining what constitutes a 'proper rebuild'. That document makes no mention of machining anything. By that definition, if you machine/regrind a crankshaft, bore cylinders, mill heads, etc., then it is not a 'rebuild' because those parts are no longer at original factory spec. To be a true and proper rebuild by that definition, the crankshaft would have to be either still at factory specs or be replaced with a new crank at exact original specs. Cylinders maybe could be bored and sleeved to the original diameter, but could not be left .030" overbored, because that is not factory spec. That definition was very clear that if any item was not at factory spec, it needs to be replaced with a new part at factory dimensions... so with all due respect (and I am very sincere about that), by your own definition, you did not do a 'rebuild', even though you did a great build. The title of the thread '355 Olds Build...' is absolutely correct. Semantics are really tricky, and a little dangerous.
I disagree, by factory specs I mean cylinder taper, piston clearance, bearing clearances, crank thrust, etc. I did NOT state "ORIGINAL specs" By using the term "rebuild" it is clear the machine work is done on parts that require it (crank, block, rods) while parts that wear and are designed to be replaced (bearings, rings, pistons, cam, chain, etc) are replaced. These are not semantics, do some research on what the industry standards are for a "rebuilt" engine, not an "original" engine.
Old March 15th, 2014, 11:43 AM

Copper, I respect what you are doing wholeheartedly, but you have said a dozen times how you 'rebuilt' two engines for much less money ($2500 and $3500), and your success rate was 50%. To me that means that while CaptJim spent $4500 on a performance build with new parts, you spent $6000 and have one engine left. So you each ended up with one viable engine, but Jim spent $1500 less than you did on your budget/scrounge builds. This isn't intended to disparage your efforts at all, but realistically, it could be easily argued that some better/new parts might have left you with two good engines instead of one. In your case, I would consider that $1500 the cost of education and experience, so it was money well-spent and really, quite a good bargain. Now, please do put some of your energy into making sure your posts are more readable and clear. It will help everybody, including yourself.
I agree with most of this; do it right, do it once. But I also understand that others guys feel differently, so there is no point in having that discussion again.
Old March 15th, 2014, 01:14 PM

Copper......... Now, please do put some of your energy into making sure your posts are more readable and clear. It will help everybody, including yourself.

This had been suggested repeatedly over the last couple of years. It is obvious that it is not going to change.
Old March 17th, 2014, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by captjim
I disagree, by factory specs I mean cylinder taper, piston clearance, bearing clearances, crank thrust, etc. I did NOT state "ORIGINAL specs" By using the term "rebuild" it is clear the machine work is done on parts that require it (crank, block, rods) while parts that wear and are designed to be replaced (bearings, rings, pistons, cam, chain, etc) are replaced. These are not semantics, do some research on what the industry standards are for a "rebuilt" engine, not an "original" engine.
I did the research you suggested, and then some. Maybe you need to do more research yourself. Here is your link to your definition of a rebuild. Maybe you need to re-read it: http://www.timscbx.com/Adobe%20folder/eng_rebuild.pdf

But you did start out talking about a build, not a rebuild... although you later switched to talking about rebuilds. That is a matter of semantics. You're not dealing with another idiot here, CaptJim. Don't even begin to argue with or try to denigrate me over the proper use of language. You have no clue. Maybe you can get one here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics

While I am on the subject of semantics, I am sure that is part of the confusion. There are differences between a build, a rebuild, or a build-up, and they are frequently confused or ignored. Decide what it is you're talking about and then either stick with it or make it clear when you decide to change the focus.
Old March 17th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Oh no.

No an argument about semantics that doesn't include me!

Please, stop now. Think of the children!

- Eric
Old March 17th, 2014, 06:31 AM

I did the research you suggested, and then some. Maybe you need to do more research yourself. Here is your link to your definition of a rebuild. Maybe you need to re-read it: http://www.timscbx.com/Adobe%20folder/eng_rebuild.pdf

But you did start out talking about a build, not a rebuild... although you later switched to talking about rebuilds. That is a matter of semantics. You're not dealing with another idiot here, CaptJim. Don't even begin to argue with or try to denigrate me over the proper use of language. You have no clue. Maybe you can get one here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics

While I am on the subject of semantics, I am sure that is part of the confusion. There are differences between a build, a rebuild, or a build-up, and they are frequently confused or ignored. Decide what it is you're talking about and then either stick with it or make it clear when you decide to change the focus.
It is quite clear that you are a troll and dredged this up for the sole purpose of arguing and not to really discuss the matter. So, (for once, LOL) I am not going to "bite".

If Mark, smitty, Zed, or any of the professional engine builders would like to chime in on what they consider the standards to be, (or if they agree, disagree, or have a comment regarding my original price list ) please feel free to do so. Otherwise, my position on the matter has been clearly stated.

Last edited by captjim; March 17th, 2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:18 AM

Hey Fellas, I really appreciate all the good info on this forum -> it's valuable guidance for amateur mechanics like me; however, you shouldn't need a degree in Early American Literature to post in the 'dadgum' Olds forum. Quality of content is more important than quality of syntax.

Please don't waste valuable forum space criticizing folks on grammar, and if you do, please use a private message. Sorry if I have offended anyone, but I'm trying to search for something, and the English grammar things are getting in the way (haha).
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:25 AM

I'm pretty sure I've said all I care to about it, other than thanks to captjim for the original post; it's enlightening and helpful.

I won't even address the definition of 'troll'.

For the sake of the children, I'm finished.
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:39 AM

Funny......I understood everything Jim has said and agree with him. So how come I can't post smilies? My puter or this site?
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:53 AM

Must be on your end. Nick.
Old March 17th, 2014, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by pmathews
Hey Fellas, I really appreciate all the good info on this forum -> it's valuable guidance for amateur mechanics like me; however, you shouldn't need a degree in Early American Literature to post in the 'dadgum' Olds forum. Quality of content is more important than quality of syntax.

Please don't waste valuable forum space criticizing folks on grammar, and if you do, please use a private message. Sorry if I have offended anyone, but I'm trying to search for something, and the English grammar things are getting in the way (haha).

I agree in principlal, no need to crtitisize every little mistake, I mis-type often. However, there are times, IMHO, when something needs to be said. Some of the younger fellas like to write in "chat" ( where r u at, go str8, etc) which really isn't appropriate in this kind of forum. Most of us point out that taking the time to write a post we can actually understand will generally result in more and better replies.
Old March 17th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by pmathews
... I'm trying to search for something, and the English grammar things are getting in the way (haha).
Actually, lack of standardized grammar, non-descriptive thread headings ("HHHHEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!," anyone?) and, especially, misspellings, interfere greatly with being able to find things by searching.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; March 17th, 2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old March 17th, 2014, 11:12 AM

I agree that proper spelling does help with searches, good point there (thanks). Also agree that too much non-standard English can be very distracting. My complaint is with the definition of the word 'rebuild'. Seriously (haha).
Old March 17th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by captjim
Some of the younger fellas like to write in "chat" ( where r u at, go str8, etc) which really isn't appropriate in this kind of forum. Most of us point out that taking the time to write a post we can actually understand will generally result in more and better replies.
Thank you.

- Eric
Old March 17th, 2014, 07:25 PM

Cost of Jasper Crate 455

Everybody is always talking about crate motors for pretty much any other manufacturer. I called Jasper today to ask about a rebuilt 1970 W30 455 engine. They do not have any core engines. If they did have a core, it would be $1200. I specifically said that I wanted the engine to match or exceed factory output levels. I believe it was 390 HP & 500 Ft/Lb torque. They would be using Hypereutectic pistons and multi layered metal head gaskets. Their warranty is nationwide 3 years or 100,000 miles, which ever comes first. List price on the four barrel high output long block is $3272. My cost would be $2772. It would take them 3-4 weeks to build my engine using my core. I think it's great that Jim took the time to price this stuff out for everybody. I realize this thread is a few years old. There's always going to be options and upgrades, but I like how Jim kept it to a basic "rebuild", without a bunch of high performance parts. Every body has their own way of doing things also. I would not re-use forty year old head bolts. I snapped one off on the last torque step flush to the block once, with the engine in the car. Man was that thing a bitch to drill out. That's just one example of where I would spend a couple of extra bucks for the ARP head bolts. I also realize that machine shops have different rates in different parts of the country. I will try to put together a similar list with current pricing from my machine shop.
Old March 18th, 2014, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass Freak
Their warranty is nationwide 3 years or 100,000 miles, which ever comes first.
It's probably one of those "It's obvious YOU did something wrong so we're not responsible for anything" type warrenties.

List price on the four barrel high output long block is $3272.
So what corners are being cut to get the price that low and still have them make a decent profit?
Old March 18th, 2014, 04:23 AM

We discussed this a little bit in this thread,
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...350-403-a.html

Jasper gets $3700 for a STOCK 403 with core, not sure how they can do a performance 455 for that. I am sure there is no head work. Also, with the 455 there are a LOT more choices for quality upgrades in pistons and rods, not the case for a 350. I can't see a well thought out 455/468 not coming in around $6,000, but I could surely be wrong.
Old March 18th, 2014, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass Freak
I realize this thread is a few years old. There's always going to be options and upgrades, but I like how Jim kept it to a basic "rebuild", without a bunch of high performance parts.

Is it a BUILD, REBUILD, or BUILD-UP?? LOL

I tried to keep it "middle of the road". Some think I spent more than neccessary, but I don't see where. Also, a mild cam costs the same as a hot cam, same for piston choice, so for the same cost you can have more performance. Of course, at some point you need more head work, better valve train, etc. Also, when I posted this, the Pro-Comps were not available. If I was to do a hot pump gas SBO today, I would bore 4.125 and use 400 SBC pistons and rods and mill the Pro comps. It would end up costing more (probably another grand) but would make more power with better and lighter internal parts.