350 Rocket Headers

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2015, 09:36 AM

350 Rocket Headers

I have a 1969 Cutlass S Holiday coupe, automatic on the column. I am looking for headers and I called OPGI and they said they don't make headers that fit a Cutlass S. I was wondering if anyone might know where to look so that I can get some headers that will fit. I really don't want to have to modify them.

Old August 25th, 2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Thybigwheel
I have a 1969 Cutlass S Holiday coupe, automatic on the column. I am looking for headers and I called OPGI and they said they don't make headers that fit a Cutlass S. I was wondering if anyone might know where to look so that I can get some headers that will fit. I really don't want to have to modify them.

That doesn't make sense to me. Call Dick Miller racing and talk to him. There should be many people that make these headers.
Old August 25th, 2015, 10:02 AM

That's crazy
Sounds like the age-old "headers don't fit a Supreme" MYTH

which is untrue, like many MYTHs

But a Supreme and S are not the same animal. Well, headers-wise they are.
Old August 25th, 2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
That's crazy
Sounds like the age-old "headers don't fit a Supreme" MYTH

which is untrue, like many MYTHs

But a Supreme and S are not the same animal. Well, headers-wise they are.
Yep, you are correct about the Supreme. Also, fits AC car or not. I cannot see how AC compressor could restrict headers, but maybe they do on some. Per Dick Miller, that is a bunch of crap. Gotta love that guy. Tells it like it is without any filtering at all.
Old August 25th, 2015, 10:06 AM

I Couldn't really see why a 350 in a 442 was mounted any differently than a 350 in an S. I'm not sure if I should just order the "442" headers and be done with it...
Old August 25th, 2015, 11:39 AM

The hooker headers should fit your 69 S Holiday Coupe.

https://www.holley.com/products/exha...arts/3901-1HKR
Old August 25th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Beer Connoisseur

It's a myth and stay away from OPGI. You can get the headers from Summit or Jegs a lot cheaper than OPGI.
Old August 25th, 2015, 12:57 PM

Would anyone be able to testify to the above linked, or similar headers fitting on a cutlass s column shift out of the box? (I'm going to call hooker after work) I don't want to get ceramic coated headers and then have to adjust the tubes. Then the ceramic would be worthless...
Old August 25th, 2015, 01:21 PM

There is NO DIFFERENCE in the chassis/engine dimensions underhood of any F85, Cutlass (S or Supreme, Holiday, coupe, 4 or 2 door), 442 in any given year other than small or big block. If headers fit one model they fit them all. Some may have clutch linkage, brake distribution valve or starter complications but the model makes no difference. Individual variables on a given car may require tweaking.

IMO buy Hookers & you will have no problems, don't even tell the vendor what model you're ordering for, just go by the correct part # for your engine, Comp or Super Comp, coated or not.
Old August 25th, 2015, 01:23 PM

I know they fit because I have them on my 68 and as bccan mentioned there is no difference. You may run into problems depending on the distribution valve's position, but it won't be that big of a deal.
Old August 25th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I've had Hooker ceramic coated headers on my 350 with AC and column shifter. Didn't have to move a thing. They fit like a glove.
Old August 25th, 2015, 01:26 PM

If ya read the fine print on that Hooker listing for the ceramic ones it says wont fit column shift standard trans or floor shift automatics or Cutlass supreme.... I can believe this is coming from Hooker. The only thing you should be clear about before purchase is the fitting with the column shift automatic trans as the linkage could be a problem there...
Old August 25th, 2015, 01:39 PM

I don't think there is any difference in the linkage between a column shift and floor shift automatic (from 69 up). The floor shift cars have the backdrive linkage from the steering column to the selector lever on the side of the transmission, just as the column shift cars do.
Old August 26th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Thybigwheel

The more important question is why do you want to pay the OPGI markup for something you can get from Summit or Jegs?
Old August 26th, 2015, 10:14 AM

[The more important question is why do you want to pay the OPGI markup for something you can get from Summit or Jegs?] Well, it could be similar to a comment from a couple twenty somethings that I ran into at a car show two weeks ago, "OPGI must be good, because Chip Foose uses them"!!!! Totally failing to grasp the sponsorship/product endorsement aspect of the show.
Old August 26th, 2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The more important question is why do you want to pay the OPGI markup for something you can get from Summit or Jegs?
True story.

Also, OPGI really has their marketing hand in every tv show that has been out in the last decade or so. That is the only reason why many people go to them.

I'll admit that their website is easy to navigate around, but when you're charing $50 for shipping for a $25 item I can see how they can afford a nice web team to make them so pretty.
Old August 26th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Didn't someone buy the ebay stainless headers and gave them a thumbs up for fitting and being cheap and looking great ? I wanna try a set of those my self. Would make my engine bay look a little better lol.
Old December 13th, 2015, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the information guys. My 72 is lowered about two inched using drop spindles in front and springs in the back.

We are using E-brock heads...what Hooker set/part number would you suggest?
Old December 14th, 2015, 05:32 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

You might want to consider Sanderson or Hedman shorty headers. You will need tight bends at the collectors, no doubt. Maybe guys with full length headers on similar year car's can chime in. I am betting road impact will be a problem with a 2" drop and full length headers.
Old December 14th, 2015, 11:26 AM

I have appx. A 2 inch drop. The morose trick Springs compress more and I cut one coil out. Not t mention I have a really skinny 26 in. Front runner tire. I have never hit the headers on the road. Fwiw my headers sit about 4 inches off the ground.
Old December 14th, 2015, 11:33 AM

Im attaching this pic what looks to be the frame is actually my headers. Im running a set of old black jacks dunno if they make em anymore but. You can get an idea how low they hang. There is a notch looking thingy hanging directly under the fender and door if you follow the fender to door gap or so it appears thats my header collector ring.