307 won't run

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2022, 06:04 AM

307 won't run

Hey I'm 21 and just bought a 1984 Delta 88 coupe I've replaced timing chain distributor (with the help of my dad but he's busy alot and can't help until the weekends) and carb swapped it to electric fuel pump I've de computerized it in hopes of trying to get it to run bc the windows been down and nothing working on the inside but headlight switch which just turns on the headlight and radio car tunes over got it to run for like 3 secs off gas I poured in the carb when I first got it but haven't got it to run since

Now Egr is unblocked and open wouldn't fit with the Edelbrock 1406 carb so that's open and I have a firm pressure regulator that's not on idk if that could be a problem
Old June 8th, 2022, 07:59 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Ah straight to the Edelbrock carb, did you change to a vacuum advance distributor? You need to make or buy a block plate for the EGR. Otherwise there will be an exhaust leak blow. Either you didn't hook something back up or you have a possible blown fuseable link. Check your battery cables and grounds as well. Good luck.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; June 8th, 2022 at 08:02 AM.
Old June 8th, 2022, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Did you also change the distributor to a non-cc HEI? First see if you have spark, next find #1 TDC and go over your firing order to ensure that you have spark at the proper time. Then with the engine off, operate the throttle linkage while looking down into the carb and ensure you have 2 strong streams of fuel spraying in there. Did you use a spreadbore to squarebore adapter when you installed the Edelbrock carb?
Old June 8th, 2022, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Ah straight to the Edelbrock carb, did you change to a vacuum advance distributor? You need to make or buy a block plate for the EGR. Otherwise there will be an exhaust leak blow. Either you didn't hook something back up or you have a possible blown fuseable link. Check your battery cables and grounds as well. Good luck.
I've changed to vacuum distrutor and sorry for replying late still trying to figure out how to use this site took me a week to make this post and are you talking about the orange battery wire that goes to the distributor I've changed and made sure it was getting power to all sparkplugs
Old June 8th, 2022, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Did you also change the distributor to a non-cc HEI? First see if you have spark, next find #1 TDC and go over your firing order to ensure that you have spark at the proper time. Then with the engine off, operate the throttle linkage while looking down into the carb and ensure you have 2 strong streams of fuel spraying in there. Did you use a spreadbore to squarebore adapter when you installed the Edelbrock carb?
Yes I used the adapter and motor was at tdc when we did the timing chain and sprockets
Also I switch out the quad bc I suspect my computer is shot I could get the check engine light to come on and I've switched out the idiot lights but it still didnt cone on when I jumped the a and b port on the thing under steering wheel
Old June 8th, 2022, 08:56 AM
Administrator

If you changed the carb and the distributor, you do not need to jumper the plug at the column. Just time the distributor and adjust the carb as you would a non-cc engine.
Old June 8th, 2022, 08:58 AM

Thanks for all your help I can't wait to get her running got her after a drunk lady hit my on the freeway in my 79 elcomino I 350 swapped

Now that where the carb comes in I took that carb off my elco and ik the quad is a better carb but I just couldn't figure out what was wrong and as I stated I also think my computer is shot

But y'all are saying it should still run without that Egr block off plate I'm not going to drive it just wanna get the motor running before I go to the interior
Old June 8th, 2022, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If you changed the carb and the distributor, you do not need to jumper the plug at the column. Just time the distributor and adjust the carb as you would a non-cc engine.
See there's the prob I don't know how to well ik how like ik the screws sticking out is for adjustment but idk how and I thought I had to get the car running first
Old June 8th, 2022, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Yes, you need to get the engine running first to adjust the idle A/F mixture screws.
Old June 8th, 2022, 05:55 PM

The EGR attachment point on the intake manifold needs to either have a non-leaking EGR valve bolted in place OR be plated/blocked closed in a way that the two ports are isolated with a gasket or sealant. If the ports aren't separated and blocked there will be a massive vacuum leak.
Old June 8th, 2022, 07:57 PM

Early CCC engines don't like other carbs.
Old June 8th, 2022, 08:17 PM
72Cutlass S

Originally Posted by 66SportCoupe
Early CCC engines don't like other carbs.
if the carb and distributer are swapped to non computer controlled, they don't care. Engines are just air pumps.
Old June 9th, 2022, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by gs72
if the carb and distributer are swapped to non computer controlled, they don't care. Engines are just air pumps.
Yes that is true but you can not keep amy portion of the CCC setup.
Old June 9th, 2022, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by 66SportCoupe
Yes that is true but you can not keep amy portion of the CCC setup.
I've completely removed the ccc system just need to find an Egr block off plate bc I measured compression yesterday but it wasn't really trying to build any compression only got it up to 35 or 40 lbs
Old June 9th, 2022, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
The EGR attachment point on the intake manifold needs to either have a non-leaking EGR valve bolted in place OR be plated/blocked closed in a way that the two ports are isolated with a gasket or sealant. If the ports aren't separated and blocked there will be a massive vacuum leak.

Ok got it do in order for it to run I do need the Egr blocked off thank you so much that was my main question to see if it would run without bc I was starting to think the motor was bad and was going to start on my 350 or bbc swap sooner than I thought
Old June 10th, 2022, 10:53 PM

Ok I've got the Egr on but still getting backlash through the carb thanks for all the help Im trying to keep the car original and restore it back to like if it was on the showroom floor I believe it's loaded with options except a moonroof