1986 307 Wiring mess

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM

1986 307 Wiring mess

I am still working on getting this 1986 olds built 307 with 7A intake running in my 1980 Cutlass Supreme. I have The ECM and Wiring Harness for both the computer and ingition sides of the car. The problem is that some of the wires have been cut so all I have is their colors. The wires tat have the electrical connecters still on them have been easy to mate to the correct sensors. Two of the cliped wires go to the O2 Sensor that would connect to the exaust. I want good gas mileage so any sensors that imporve that I really would like to not delete if possible but I have headers on the car so should I get the sensor installed in them and what kind of place would I go to for that kind of work? I live in St. Louis, MO if anyone is familiar with that area and could give me exact direction on who to consult..... Thanks Yall!!!!
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Take the computer out. It's an 80. My 80 didn't come with one. All you'll need is a non cc carb and dist from just about any other Olds v-8
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:58 AM

But the computer working with those sensors increases gas mileage right? this car is gonna be used heavily on the highway and will be making a lot of long trips!
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:26 AM

Either would will need all the sensors or none. The computer wants them all.
Or run without the puter if your state inspection allows. Any gas savings will be negligable, as long as the engine is tuned for with or without puter.
If you dump the puter, you will want to figure a way to lock the torque converter, if your tranny has a locker (prolly does). Vacuum-electric sensing devices are out there to control the lockup.
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

The computer won't help you much. Just grab an old distributor, and carb. You can still use the egr system. As long as your carb and distributor timing are setup for mileage per gallon, and not drag racing you will be fine.
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by HotBoy RuNNA
But the computer working with those sensors increases gas mileage right? this car is gonna be used heavily on the highway and will be making a lot of long trips!
Uh, no.

The CCC system runs great when it is properly adjusted. The adjustment process in the Chassis Service Manual must be followed EXACTLY. Any deviation from the process, any cracked or mis-connected vacuum line, any sensor not working at brand new conditions, and mileage plummets. Like he said, don't try to run it on the computer unless you really want to take the time to learn how to adjust it properly. Otherwise, you'll be getting 12-14 mpg. You can do better than that with a properly rebuilt Qjet or a 500 CFM E-brock.