1972 Cutlass 350 Fuel Pump ID

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2022, 05:23 PM

1972 Cutlass 350 Fuel Pump ID

I'm sure this has been covered on here many times before and I apologize; but, I sure couldn't find anything that was definitive regarding the correct fuel pump for this car.
I have a:
1972 Cutlass Convertible
350 4BBL w/Air Conditioning
TH350
Vapor canister. Line runs from the carb to the canister and then to the standpipe/fuel tank so a One In, One Out on the pump. No return line

The problem I'm having is that the major parts houses (OPGI, Parts Place, Fusick etc) seem to be giving me conflicting info. For example, several say the 40713 pump is correct, yet fusick says it's for nonAC cars. Also, it seems that 40713 and 41566 are freely interchanged. I believe there are 3 One In/One Out pumps. One has the short height to the inlet, then med height and then the tall height. I do not have a USA made parts book but I did look it up on the Canadian Master Parts Catalogue 6470331 for all 71-72 350

I just don't want to put on a pump that works, I want to put on the correct pump that works

This site is the absolute best and I appreciate any input.
Old January 8th, 2022, 06:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Like motor mounts and heater valves, nearly ever aftermarket vendor gets Olds fuel pumps wrong.

From the factory parts book, the correct P/N is 6470331. That's a two-port pump. Airtex 41566 and Carter M6108 are aftermarket replacements. They won't look exactly the same, but they will fit and function correctly.

Old January 8th, 2022, 07:33 PM

Thank you Joe. Makes me feel like I'm not THAT crazy
Old January 9th, 2022, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by FlyBoy72
I'm sure this has been covered on here many times before and I apologize; but, I sure couldn't find anything that was definitive regarding the correct fuel pump for this car.
I have a:
1972 Cutlass Convertible
350 4BBL w/Air Conditioning
TH350
Vapor canister. Line runs from the carb to the canister and then to the standpipe/fuel tank so a One In, One Out on the pump. No return line

The problem I'm having is that the major parts houses (OPGI, Parts Place, Fusick etc) seem to be giving me conflicting info. For example, several say the 40713 pump is correct, yet fusick says it's for nonAC cars. Also, it seems that 40713 and 41566 are freely interchanged. I believe there are 3 One In/One Out pumps. One has the short height to the inlet, then med height and then the tall height. I do not have a USA made parts book but I did look it up on the Canadian Master Parts Catalogue 6470331 for all 71-72 350

I just don't want to put on a pump that works, I want to put on the correct pump that works

This site is the absolute best and I appreciate any input.
This is out of the 1971 Chassis Manual and may also be true for 1972, but the takeaway is that a 350 4 bbl with air conditioning did not come with a return line:

Old January 9th, 2022, 01:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by PatL
This is out of the 1971 Chassis Manual and may also be true for 1972, but the takeaway is that a 350 4 bbl with air conditioning did not come with a return line:
Correct, as shown in the parts book excerpt I provided above, where ALL 1972 350 motors use the same two-port pump.
Old January 9th, 2022, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Correct, as shown in the parts book excerpt I provided above, where ALL 1972 350 motors use the same two-port pump.
That is interesting; I can see how the parts suppliers get those mixed up. (mixed bag for 350 in 1971, no return at all in 1972 for 350) Curious on the change in 1972, I guess Olds did not see the vapor lock issues they thought they would get.

I found that parts number catalog here on the site recently, looks to be pretty handy. I have a John Deere tractor, and they have a website where you enter your serial number and all the diagrams and parts numbers come up and I have been able to cross reference some of the part numbers to alternative brands. John Deere is pretty proud of their green paint.
Old January 9th, 2022, 07:20 PM

That is interesting; I can see how the parts suppliers get those mixed up. (mixed bag for 350 in 1971, no return at all in 1972 for 350) Curious on the change in 1972, I guess Olds did not see the vapor lock issues they thought they would get.

I found that parts number catalog here on the site recently, looks to be pretty handy. I have a John Deere tractor, and they have a website where you enter your serial number and all the diagrams and parts numbers come up and I have been able to cross reference some of the part numbers to alternative brands. John Deere is pretty proud of their green paint.
All manufacturers are "proud" of their parts.
Old January 10th, 2022, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
All manufacturers are "proud" of their parts.
Your right, but John Deere makes GM look like Walmart...………..
Old January 10th, 2022, 08:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Your right, but John Deere makes GM look like Walmart...………..
Those of us with green tractors like to gripe about the price of JD parts, but time for a reality check. Very, VERY few companies maintain the parts inventory and distribution network that JD has (McMaster Carr is on of the few that come to mind). JD's parts network exists to keep farmers' equipment operational at all times. Having a key piece of equipment out of commission for weeks at a critical time will have far greater economic impact to the farmer than the cost of the parts. Here's an example. My JD tractor is a 1979 model. A few years ago, I needed a new cylinder head for it due to a crack (when my idiot farm help overheated the tractor). My local JD dealer had an NOS fully assembled head in my hands in three days - for a FORTY year old tractor! That level of inventory and distribution network comes with a very real cost.
Old January 10th, 2022, 08:57 AM

Those of us with green tractors like to gripe about the price of JD parts, but time for a reality check. Very, VERY few companies maintain the parts inventory and distribution network that JD has (McMaster Carr is on of the few that come to mind). JD's parts network exists to keep farmers' equipment operational at all times. Having a key piece of equipment out of commission for weeks at a critical time will have far greater economic impact to the farmer than the cost of the parts. Here's an example. My JD tractor is a 1979 model. A few years ago, I needed a new cylinder head for it due to a crack (when my idiot farm help overheated the tractor). My local JD dealer had an NOS fully assembled head in my hands in three days - for a FORTY year old tractor! That level of inventory and distribution network comes with a very real cost.
Excellent reply!!!
Old January 10th, 2022, 09:13 AM

I hear you Joe, but they are not maintaining that distribution like they used to, even pre pandemic. I have multiple pieces of John Deere equipment and what parts that used to be kept at the dealership or their warehouses continue to get reduced. My dealer is a pretty large with multiple locations (and I also benefited from their infield service 3 years ago) They are making more use of drop shipping from vendors, all taking time. Parts inventory consumes working capital, but the prices are supposed to justify that cost.
You are right, that distribution was what you paid for with the green paint, but they are drifting more from their business model. I have not looked at their 10K, but I suspect the brand marketing stuff (toys, tools and everything. else) is one of their top business units. Shareholder value strikes again...…..
Old January 10th, 2022, 10:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Shareholder value strikes again...…..
Yup. This is why GM is so strong in their market today...
Old January 10th, 2022, 10:21 AM

And if I may add something. If there wasn't a part available, the factory would reconfigure the machine that made the part. If it was running a different part, the set up was changed to make the part and run a few extra before re-setting up to what they had been making. They also had specially skilled people that were pulled off their job to re-babbit engine connecting rods for old "A" and "B" tractors and the dealer had the parts in 2-3 days.
Undoubtedly, things changed in 1981 when the last CEO was a decendent or married to a decendent of John Deere. Thats when the "outsourcing" and "trimming inventory" began by CEO Hans Boecher (bean counter) ?