1971 #7 Head Valve Spring Pad & Rotator Question

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2016, 07:32 PM

1971 #7 Head Valve Spring Pad & Rotator Question

Have a set of #7 heads that I am having rebuilt with the W-31 springs and valves. As per what I've read, some #7 heads have stepped valve spring pads - that is, the exhaust pad is lower that the intake pad to accomodate the valve rotator. According to what I have researched, only the 7 head in 1971 had only the exhaust valves get rotators - hence the need for the lowered pad.

However, my machinist swears up and down that the lowered pad on these heads is on the INTAKE valves, and says the set came to him with the rotaters on the intakes. (I did not notice when I got the heads) Has anyone else ever seen this? I assume as long as the valve and spring heights are in spec it does not matter which valve gets the rotator, but not having them on the exhaust defeats the main purpose for them. My machinist is mostly worried about coil bind and excessive seat pressure from using the W-31 spring with the damper on the intake with the rotators. Anyone have experience with this?
Old May 18th, 2016, 04:50 AM

Find another machinist, he's an idiot, really.
What's it matter, just buy the right spring for the application. If you're not using the rotator then just use a spring seat cup to take up some of the distance, simple.

Find another machinist.