The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

rotator cuff surgery

Old February 27th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Oldsdruid

rotator cuff surgery

Had my left one done Thursday. I'm at my aunt's now.

Surgeon found more damage than he had counted on looking at MRI but repaired it all. So I'll be down for a couple months while it heals. Never knew how much I used my left arm. I'm hilarious trying to dress myself.

I fell backwards last summer and that was when I really tore it (full tear with retraction) but the original OS and the one who ultimately repaired it both said I had previous damage. Thinking back over my work I know 25 yrs of wrangling those big powerplant valves contributed to it. So at almost 60 I don't intend to twist any more of them, and I will warn young bucks about it too.

Yes I do have some good painkillers, and also some anti-nausea pills. Good with the bad and all.

Thoughts and prayers appreciated.
Old February 27th, 2016, 11:17 AM

Thoughts and prayers headed your way. Do everything the doctor and physical therapist tell you! I know that can be annoying at times, but it will give you the best shot at fully recovering. If we'd only known back then how it would affect us now...

John
Old February 27th, 2016, 11:26 AM

Feel better and get well soon!!!

I am debating a surgical solution for torn labrums in both shoulders. Problem is they said I also have degenerative joints which complicates it to the point where I am just living with the pain hoping it will get better over time (wishful thinking)

Bill
Old February 27th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

Glenn,

Hope you get well soon. My right side is torn but I just can't be laid up for months without the use of my arm right now, so I've been living with it. Amazing how the body can work around something like that.
Old February 27th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Oldsdruid

I too delayed it for a while, till the surgeon pointed out my best case was a lifetime of bursitis pain and worst was complete shoulder replacement. So that got my attention. I figured RC at 59 was better than replacement after 65.

I've decided that after 2 90 day shutdowns including generator and burner replacements last year that nearly killed a lot of us, and no more bonuses paid for above and beyond work, I will no longer put off or delay necessary things to accommodate those fricking shutdowns.
Old February 27th, 2016, 06:29 PM
GM Enthusiast

Glenn,

Sorry to hear that you had to get that done, I hope that you're feeling better soon.

I had my right one done about 7 years ago, it was the most painful thing I ever had to do. Didn't want to take the narcotics, just Celebrex. Had my arm in a brace for over a month and ended up in PT for 6 months due to scar tissue build up in the joint. It was all worth it though since today it feels great, never bothers me even on bad weather days.

I pray that you get the same results.
Old February 27th, 2016, 06:32 PM

After 3 RC surgeries a torn bicep muscle plus a broken back that happened while on vacation and 34 years at a mid Missouri power plant, (fitter welder) I called it quits, I retired at 59 . I am now enjoying life with wife, kids and grandkids. Plus a 65 cutlass 330 4 speed. Life is too short. Best wishes on your recovery . Bassinguy
Old February 27th, 2016, 07:45 PM

Get well soon, Glenn. My mother-in-law had hers fixed right before Christmas, and she's feeling better than she had for the previous 6 months. Same deal, tripped and fell...

Take your time, and heal up the right way.
Old February 27th, 2016, 09:51 PM

Hey old friend i hipe you heal up soon. When my grand father retired he played so much golf he wore out both rotator cuffs. He had both done in his 70s and he played golf all the way until this year when he turned 90. Only spinal stenosis is keeping him off the course now. Just be vigilant with your physical therapy and you will be all good. I know i have shoulder surgery in my future. My left shoulder makes all kinda noise from years of baseball. Luckily base ball was the only thing i do lefty. Im right handed everything else.
Old February 27th, 2016, 09:58 PM
same but different

Best wishes Glenn. May it be temporary.
Old February 28th, 2016, 07:33 AM
Oldsdruid

Thanks fer encouragement! The OS came highly recommended and he's done thousands of them (usually 3-5 every Thursday) so I think I'll do fine if I stick with his plan. Plus one of my cousins is a DPT, so she'll beat on me if I don't follow the plan.

Start PT 3/8 so fingers crossed. PT hurt like hell last fall when we were trying to postpone surgery because (u guessed it) I was in the second of the 90-day shutdowns at that time. I was in bad pain that whole time and barely got so much as thanks for a job well done with zero tagout issues, and we executed over 600 tagout jobs. So- no more above and beyond. I'm not killing myself for the place any longer.

Just hope I'm healed up well enough by Nationals that I can pick up and examine swap meet parts! Anybody wanna be my official parts fetcher?