Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

IB ad placement is getting worse

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:49 AM
Oldsdruid

IB ad placement is getting worse

The unwanted ads and keyword placement have been horrible for a while now, but this morning I've noticed it doing something else to force you to view an ad.

Every time I change a page, it goes thru at least three different spasms where it freezes IE while it scans, selects and places its keywords before finally highlighting "ads specifically tailored to fit your interests!". It often takes 2-3 minutes to load a page on this site as a result.

Today, after going thru its spasms and finally placing its blue words, it immediately scrolls the screen back to the top- I guess to make you view the banner ad at the top. An auction website I frequent does the same thing, so it's pretty obvious it's programmed to do it.

I will say this- it's not at all welcome. I told the manager at the local Bi-Lo grocery a few weeks back that I was tired of their damn IB popups on my car website, and to pass it on up the chain.

Keep in mind I cannot alter settings on my work computer, so no suggestions to install ad-blockers or use a different browser. IE is it.

I guess all I can do is register displeasure with the firms participating in these ad programs, letting them know in no uncertain terms that I won't buy anything that pops up an ad in the middle of my browsing. I'm in market for new kitchen appliances. They won't be GE simply because of that. I'm in full revolt mode with these ads.

Selling this website to Internet Brands was the worst thing that ever happened to it.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:10 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by rocketraider

I guess all I can do is register displeasure with the firms participating in these ad programs, letting them know in no uncertain terms that I won't buy anything that pops up an ad in the middle of my browsing. I'm in market for new kitchen appliances. They won't be GE simply because of that. I'm in full revolt mode with these ads.

Selling this website to Internet Brands was the worst thing that ever happened to it.
I agree buddy. We're basically just trying to paddle a canoe floating down a raging river. All I can do is keep flailing and hope I don't drown.
They haven't made things easy for anybody on here.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:16 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

Bummer you can't use a different web browser.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Agreed. I use Google Chrome and Adblocker Plus. Both are free and work perfectly. No pop ups of any kind and no ads at any time.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
Administrator

I use IE and have no real problems. I just use the standard popup blocker.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:57 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

He's referring to viewing the site on break at work. He cannot alter their company settings, so he's stuck in the cesspool of advertisements.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:11 PM

That's a bummer that you get so many pop-ups and ads. I view CO on the computer in the office as well. Luckily for me, this computer blocks pretty much everything. Sometiems it's annoying in that I can't see pictures folks post.

I don't understand why you're getting adds for kitchen improvements. Is it tied to your credit card or web browsing history? If so, maybe you could pay for your stuff with cash from now on. I don't understand how cookies and such work on computers. It is a scam that they flood people now-a-days though.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:34 PM

I understand what you mean and I wish I had any bit of control over it.
If it is that bad and you cannot change your browser or settings, I would have to abandon the site from work and visit only at home.
I see others struggle with various online sites and the stupid ads that pretty much take over and I get very frustrated just watching. If ad-block ever went away, I just might abandon the whole internet....
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:38 PM
MOTORHEAD

sorry you can not post
as you desire
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:53 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

I don't have hardly any issues on my phone. If you use a smartphone, the mobile version of the site really isn't that bad.
Old January 24th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Registered Luser

I don't have any issues on the home computer.....I have a real problem on the IPad......
Old January 25th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

I know that the IB tech team is working on this issue, so hopefully we'll have some relief soon.
Old January 25th, 2014, 03:59 PM

The iPad is brutal.
Old January 25th, 2014, 07:07 PM

using my galaxy note with the site has been HORRIBLE of late. The pop-ups completely block the screen and I have to close the page and reopen it and hope the pop-up does not come up again.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:12 AM

After the big crash on ROP, while the owners were undecided whether to bring it back, one of the Olds guys started Olds Rocket Performance forum. Yet, the ROP guys went back to the new ROP, and people on CO stay here. I watched a brief surge of interest in ORP, but it didn't last, unfortunately.
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Agreed. I use Google Chrome and Adblocker Plus. Both are free and work perfectly. No pop ups of any kind and no ads at any time.
Evidently my Chrome got updated and now I need to activate AdBlocker again?

Refresher course?

Thx

If I find out first I will post it here.
==================
upper RH corner

3 horizontal bars like this turned sideways: |||

which, somehow you are supposed to figure means "things to fiddle with"

SETTINGS
far left side menu EXTENSIONS

oh, it's missing

at the bottom, ADD MORE EXTENSIONS

search for "adb..." brings up list of bullshed, bullshed, and the third one is ADBLOCKER PLUS

load it
run it

Voila'

Last edited by Octania; March 21st, 2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old March 21st, 2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Evidently my Chrome got updated and now I need to activate AdBlocker again?

Refresher course?

Thx

If I find out first I will post it here.
==================
upper RH corner

3 horizontal bars like this turned sideways: |||

which, somehow you are supposed to figure means "things to fiddle with"

SETTINGS
far left side menu EXTENSIONS

oh, it's missing

at the bottom, ADD MORE EXTENSIONS

search for "adb..." brings up list of bullshed, bullshed, and the third one is ADBLOCKER PLUS

load it
run it

Voila'
well if you need any help just shoot me a pm..but the easiest way would be to uninstall the plugin and reinstall it.. chrome..aka google being the geniuses they are decided to let certain adds by adblocker.. they paid the guy that made it to LET stuff lip by.. if you pay for the full version or donate you will receive a different copy that blocks every thing..

if you need a step by step on uninstalling it and reinstalling it let me know..
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:15 PM

I use Ghostery on my computers. It shows what trackers and such are present and allows you to block the ones you want (or all of them) and you can turn the blocking on and off if you desire.

https://www.ghostery.com/