Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

What's up with the PNC ads?

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2010, 04:25 PM

What's up with the PNC ads?

The PNC ads (blue rectangles) which pop up at the top of the page whenever I move to a new forum are infuriating. They lock up my screen and prevent the forum from ever appearing -- leaving me staring at nothing but their ad (which I'm sure is their intent). None of the other advertisers cause this problem.

The only way I've found to get around this is to hit the back button, then the forum link again, then the back button, then the forum link one more time (third time's the charm, I guess), after which the list of threads for the new forum appears. Given the slow refresh times on this site, it takes about a minute for me to switch forums.

Does anyone else have a problem with this? Any suggestions on a better way to get around it?

If that's just the way it works for everyone, then I suggest the owner of this site eliminate the PNC ads. They can't possibly be worth the money. I'm considering not frequenting this site anymore, because I've got better ways to spend my time than clicking the same buttons over and over. The ads certainly aren't serving their intended purpose, as I'd never chose to do business with a company which intentionally sets out to annoy me.
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Land Yacht Captain

I've experienced this as well with a number of advertisers on the Google Ads. They cause an Explorer error that forces it to shut down.
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:30 PM

Have not had this problem, just the annoying Bing pop-ups when you move over anything in the text that has their highlight/icon.
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:27 AM

You must mean the ones that follow you as you scroll down, covering the page. I kill the page and start over (yep, waste of time.) I dislike the bingers but at least scrolling down makes them disappear.

Best prevention is to watch where your mouse is going (or disable java for this site).
Keep your mouse off the main text and you are somewhat safe. The green underlined stuff triggers these things.

Java can play havoc with many machines (regardless of version), meaning all machines in my experience. Flash is worse IMO, so i keep it disabled unless I really need it.

The only useful related ads on this site that I have seen would be the tirerack ones at the top...
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Tony

I was just trying to change my avat picture and a verizon link kept blocking me from doing is pissed me off to say the least. Cant this be stopped?
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:06 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I wonder how many people actually purchase anything from these absolutely positively annoying popups? I wont just because of the annoyance! Lawyer adds are next! yeay! Cuz everyone needs one.
Old January 29th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Tony

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
You must mean the ones that follow you as you scroll down, covering the page. I kill the page and start over (yep, waste of time.) I dislike the bingers but at least scrolling down makes them disappear.

Best prevention is to watch where your mouse is going (or disable java for this site).
Keep your mouse off the main text and you are somewhat safe. The green underlined stuff triggers these things.

Java can play havoc with many machines (regardless of version), meaning all machines in my experience. Flash is worse IMO, so i keep it disabled unless I really need it.

The only useful related ads on this site that I have seen would be the tirerack ones at the top...
the wife disabled flash and it worked
Old January 29th, 2014, 12:09 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Firefox with adblocker plus cures that problem and it's free
Old January 29th, 2014, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
X 2 and it works on chrome also.....Tedd
Old January 29th, 2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
X 2 and it works on chrome also.....Tedd
X 3 Adblocker Plus and Chrome browser = ZERO ads and no annoying blue text landmines! So far ABP has blocked 8 ads this session (there's a little counter up next to the address bar ).
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:05 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by archeryshooter
the wife disabled flash and it worked

yeah when my wife had flash enabled nothing was getting done (wellnot nothing but...) but now that she disabled flash I just head out to the garage
Old January 29th, 2014, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
X again!
I installed both of the above in 2012 or before when this site would no longer work with IE6. I was using Intermute with EI which killed most ads.
Firefox and Adblock were two God-sends that saved the internet for me!
No ads at all. If you install Adblock nowdays, you have to remove a checkmark in a box in setup that allows "non-intrusive ads" like text ads.
I'm lovin it!
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:13 PM
XCELERATIONRULES!

Cant even post from my phone.
Ad pops up every 10 seconds ruining each post.
some hacker writing the program needs a new job.
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:23 PM

Any help ideas for apple products
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mark - Another guy on this site who will remain nameless, although he has a PINK Delta 88 vert, and his name rhymes with MDchanic, tells me that Apple products aren't affected by this kind of pop up. He must have an advanced model.

Adblock Plus can be downloaded for apple products too.
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I dunno whom you're talking about, Allan, but my Mac is never afflicted by these demons.

I use Chrome (usually) with AdBlockPlus, but also Safari, Firefox, and Opera sometimes, and never have a problem with any of them.

Perhaps Mark is using that copy of Explorer 5.2.3 that was on that AOL CD he found in the disk drive?

- Eric
Old February 28th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Arrrghhh, busted by the man hisself!! Yup, I knew you'd find this and chime in. It was too much fun. Ya mean Apple still uses IE??
Old March 1st, 2014, 05:15 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ya mean Apple still uses IE??
No, I mean that's the latest version of Explorer for Mac OS X that I'm aware of, and it's a version from 2003.

Updating to the latest browser versions is always a good first step toward blocking out unwanted junk, no matter what platform one is using.

- Eric
Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:06 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

I know that the tech team of our parent company is working on this issue, so hopefully we'll have some relief soon. In the mean time, Adblocker Plus and Chrome or Firefox browser = ZERO ads.
Old June 6th, 2014, 09:52 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by Omicron
I know that the tech team of our parent company is working on this issue, so hopefully we'll have some relief soon. In the mean time, Adblocker Plus and Chrome or Firefox browser = ZERO ads.
Still getting these annoying PNC ads when the mouse hovers or glides over the blue underlined words! This is as annoying as an exwife! Was fine for a year now back right back to it! Any new suggestions? TX!
Old June 6th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Wish I had a better answer for you. Maybe a user who's got a better solution can chime in.
Old June 7th, 2014, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Still getting these annoying PNC ads when the mouse hovers or glides over the blue underlined words! This is as annoying as an exwife! Was fine for a year now back right back to it! Any new suggestions? TX!
Firefox with adblock is all I can recommend, because it works.
I surf in peace.
Old June 7th, 2014, 08:29 AM

x2.
Old June 7th, 2014, 10:31 AM

If you or someone who uses your computer has had a problem and had to disable it to down load a file or do a fix something may have caused you to loose Add Blocker, you may need to re install it ....From the keys of Tedd Thompson who knows almost nothing about computer programs... Disclaimer...Tedd