General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

T5 transmission in 1962 F85

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2017, 07:10 PM

Post T5 transmission in 1962 F85

So, Maxine the Blue Max has been my test bed of sorts for all manner of things, great and small. The first trans swap was from the factory POS to a wonderfully D&D adapted 700r4. That was a satisfying move. Beloved by all, including Maxine. But not satisfying enough for some.... Thank you to my wife for the accusations of shifting inadequacy. "Real muscle cars need to be rowed through the gears." Living life in that twilight zone between the opioid effect of roaring rpm's and "holy s--t! Is that smoke from us?!" So I divine it necessary to make what's finished, unfinished again. One might think it easy to exchange a t5 for a 700r4. That's wrong. As I've previously let on, this car has an LS. No t5's came behind LS engines. That translates into more $$. I really miss finished. To make matters more interesting, how many 62's came with a manual? Like, none... or a bunch... and they're all hidden from me so I cannot utilize factory clutch pedal hardware. Luckily I have a band saw, a welder, and zero desire (or sense) to listen to the sage advice of my friends down at the hot rod shop who tell me I should've left well enough, alone. But hell, I figure I've never fabbed pedals and mounts before. How hard can it be? Well let me start by saying a big "thank you" to those folks who decide that floors and transition panels and firewalls should NOT be flat and at right angles and are best curved and contorted into surfaces that no three points could maintain stability on! That's ok. I like to think there are more of us who succeed because we don't really know it can't be done that way than there are those that know so much that it can't be done that way. So, enough of my yammering. I've posted a few pics here of my almost-finished product. I also like to think that via blind luck, I've done it the way it oughta be done.

Used brake pedal as template

Clutch pedal mockup

Clutch pedal/hyd. master cyl mockup on makeshift stand

Pedal/master cyl support bracket

Drilled/tapped head of original pivot, threaded clutch pivot into it

Test fitting clutch support bracket
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:31 AM

Super cool build and nice fab work on the clutch pedal. Its just something about a stick car. you should put a Hurst shifter in it if applicable. Thanks for those pictures,it helps so much. Many people online have been paring the LSx with a T5. But seeing it in an application just like mine while also seeing what gots to be done to "Get ur dun" is 2-cool!!!
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Nice fab work, though frankly, factory clutch pedals for the 61-63 cars really aren't that hard to find. I plan to use a HTOB on mine, but the limited space on the engine side of the firewall drove me to us a pull-style clutch master cylinder mounted under the dash.
Old March 7th, 2017, 10:38 AM

Thank you for the compliment, Joe. I have searched far and wide for factory setups to no avail. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong corners or am too late to the party. HTOB? I'm unfamiliar with this. As far as the underhood space, or lack there of, any suggestions as to a dual reservoir master for brakes? Perhaps a boosted option? I'm fast running out of space inside.
Old March 7th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Spr396
Thank you for the compliment, Joe. I have searched far and wide for factory setups to no avail. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong corners or am too late to the party. HTOB? I'm unfamiliar with this. As far as the underhood space, or lack there of, any suggestions as to a dual reservoir master for brakes? Perhaps a boosted option? I'm fast running out of space inside.
HTOB = Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing

The dual circuit M/C typically used on these cars is the Mustang/Fairmont unit that has the ports facing the engine, away from that brace that runs from the firewall to the inner fender. A-1 CARDONE P/N 101763

You won't be able to mount a conventional brake booster. The factory power brake booster was a bellows style unit that mounted under the dash and connected to the pedal. Frankly, I doubt a 2700 lb car needs power brakes.

Old March 7th, 2017, 11:02 AM

Hahaha that's fresh! Thank you Joe. I USED a HTOB and it never occurred to me the acronym was HTOB! Thank you for the brake info. You're right. It's no pressing issue(pun intended). The car is plenty light. I've got 4-wheel disk brakes and it's certainly light years ahead of the drums. I guess I am a habitual meddler.
Old March 16th, 2017, 06:49 PM

If you can and have time can you post pictures of your front suspension and how u mounted your engine. Thanks.
Ronnie
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:52 AM
car nut farmer

Great looking fab work.
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:59 PM

Pics coming

Thanks for the compliments. Thanks for the interest in my work. I really am kind of making things up as I go in so many areas. With a sawzall, welder and a basic understanding of things, it's easy to create something kickass.... Or crash and burn. I'm gonna keep the trash pile to myself. Pics of success will be forthcoming.

Charlie
Old January 30th, 2018, 05:31 PM

SPR396 - how did you put disc brakes on your F85? Did you have to upgrade to 14"-15" wheels?
Old January 31st, 2018, 06:45 AM

How’d I do the brakes?

Originally Posted by brownmb5
SPR396 - how did you put disc brakes on your F85? Did you have to upgrade to 14"-15" wheels?
upgrading to the LS necessitated a whole new front end. I removed all the factory suspension and steering components and left the unit-body structure intact. I contacted Streetrod Engineering and provided them some measurements they asked for and they put a kit together (mustang II based) with a custom cross member, tubular a-arms, rack&pinion, and disk brakes for a heckuvalot less than the more mainstream frontends you see in magazines. And it was all CAD designed and extremely well executed. It rides/handles/looks great. So the short answer is, “Yes, I went to 15’s”
Old February 2nd, 2018, 02:16 PM

Very nice fab work. Any pics of the whole car.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 04:39 PM

NOT taking away from this build, it shows a lot of good well thought out work, and i like it.....heres another option that is very very hot right now as far as transmission swaps..

I think this would be a good swap for an F85...they are dirt cheap easy to get...i bought a 30k trans for $125 from the biggest yard in KC..they had a dozen, i just chose the lowest miles

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/colo...tml#post461509

adapter
https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/...x15/kit-gmax15

Last edited by marxjunk; February 2nd, 2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old February 4th, 2018, 06:21 AM

I like the "we succeed because we don't know it can't be done". Cut and weld on!
Dennis