Cleaning electrical connector

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2016, 07:06 PM

Cleaning electrical connector

I had a issue with my alternator over-charging the battery (16.5 volts), so I changed the Voltage Regulator, the reason I choose to replace it was because it had a some rust inside and on the terminals. I have installed a new Delco Remy VR and it is now charging the battery at about 14.5 volts, but it is making a buzzing noise and the Gen light is on at idle. Tomorrow I plan to check all the grounds and wiring, if they check good I will get the alternator checked, but I am wondering what is the best way to clean the terminals inside the connector, can it be taken apart or should I just go ahead and buy a new one. I am also wondering if the Gen light could be caused by a low idle. The car currently idles at about 850 rpm. Thanks for any help.

Old May 21st, 2016, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Your new VR may be bad also. Any electrical contact cleaner and soft wire brush will clean the connector contacts. They can be pushed out of the connector.
Old May 21st, 2016, 08:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You just insert a very small screwdriver into the visible slot in the end of each slot in the plastic connector and depress the little brass retaining finger of the spade terminal, and pull each one out.

Then, you can use the tool of your choice (I like a Dremel with little bitty wire wheels) to clean each one, re-bend the retaining fingers outward, and re-insert.

- Eric
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:26 AM

Thanks Eric X 2,
I will give it a try. Maybe this is my payback for saying I would not use the Wells PN VR715 voltage regulator because it was Chinese made. I am going to check all the wiring and alternator today, and may have to try the Wells VR.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

An illustration might help:

You'll likely need to bend the little tab back up before reinserting the terminal in the connector body.

There's another thing you should check - the connection of the thick red wire from the alternator on the threaded stud at the horn relay. I had a very similar problem years ago and it was due to corrosion at that terminal post, not the VR.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:57 AM

Joe,
Thanks, This will help. My plan today is to check all alternator and VR wiring today. My understanding is any bad ground or corroded wire/terminal could make it buzz.
My other concern was the Gen light, it is on at idle but does go out as soon as I give it a little gas, could a low idle be the cause of that? I think the car is idling around 850rpm now.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 05:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jharsh
Joe,
Thanks, This will help. My plan today is to check all alternator and VR wiring today. My understanding is any bad ground or corroded wire/terminal could make it buzz.
My other concern was the Gen light, it is on at idle but does go out as soon as I give it a little gas, could a low idle be the cause of that? I think the car is idling around 850rpm now.
Most likely is that voltage at idle is low due to the bad connections. That should be fixed by cleaning all the terminals also.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 06:53 AM

OK, I have posted this before and getting to photobucket to find the pic is a real pain, so you will have to search for the pic.

THE BEST way to fix dirty terminals is pull 'em, snip 'em, and install new ones with the PROPER tool with "B" dies. Expensive, but proper in every way.

Now, for a quick CLEANING of copper or brass... I tested the idea on old pennies and have used it since on various vehicle connectors... can be done at the vehicle, with terminals in their connector body.

Git you a cup of hot vinegar. Microwave it good and hot. Add table salt. Quite a bit. Stir.

Dunk your terminals in this.

It takes like TEN SECONDS.

Staying longer does not change much.

You now have bright clean brass.

With salty vinegar on it. So, Rince well with your neutralizing baking soda water mix. Dry off. Air blow dry. Spray contact cleaner if you wish. Spray grease if you wish. I prefer after drying an application of SILICONE GREASE to ward off future oxidation.

It is like MAGIC.
Ten seconds to bright clean brass in every nook and cranny.

If you have not tried it, go get some crusty connections or old pennies and test it.

Or watch the youtube videos.

Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:35 PM

Checked all the wiring today, to include removing all the terminals from the VR connector. The terminals did not look bad but the brown wire was really corroded.
I wanted to just change the terminals but I could not find them anywhere. I am not even sure where to look, the Auto Parts stores here certainly did not have them.
I ended up splicing in a new connector I picked up from Autozone. Took the alternator to have it tested and it checked out good.
After putting everything back together, the VR was still buzzing with the Gen light on at idle. The alternator was also putting out almost 16 volts at idle, Once RPM was above about 1000 Gen light would go out and Alternator would drop to 14.3 volts.
Went back the Autozone and picked up the Wells VR715 I said I would not use and everything is working great now. Gen light is out at idle and the Alternator is showing 13.9 volts at the Battery.

Eric and Joe, thanks for the help. The explanation and diagram was great. The terminals come right out once you know how to do it. What book did that come from, please don't say the CSM.
Octania, I wanted to try the Vinegar but the wire was to far gone, if it had just been the terminals I am sure it would have work.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 07:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jharsh
I wanted to just change the terminals but I could not find them anywhere. I am not even sure where to look, the Auto Parts stores here certainly did not have them.
They are Packard 56 series terminals and NAPA carries them under P/N NW 725147 for $0.99 each, as do many on-line sources.

Old May 30th, 2016, 03:23 PM

Give your connections a healthy shot of DeOxit.

Napa or Berkebile electric contact cleaner works well also.