General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Do I need a high output alternator?

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2018, 07:34 AM

Do I need a high output alternator?

My 67 Vista Cruiser has the original alternator. Since I bought the car I have added a/c, cruise control and an aftermarket radio (not real high power). A friend gave me a "Load Boss" 135 amp alternator, do I need this or will the stock alternator do the job? I am planning a long road trip next month, I just don't want any problems on the road. I also just bought a new 700cca battery.
Old August 9th, 2018, 07:50 AM

Most likely not. Those options could have been ordered on you car when new and it wouldn't struggled to keep up with the electrics at that time. It might be nice if you started adding some boom boxes spot lights and running a converter for your RV off of it other wise just enjoy the fact that you don't have to mess with it and go on your trip.

If you are having issues with your old one and you have the new alternator for no cost that's a different story.... Tedd
Old August 9th, 2018, 07:58 AM

I agree with Tedd. I installed a high output alternator in my Olds but I have a sub woofer and amp.
Old August 9th, 2018, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Most likely not. Those options could have been ordered on you car when new and it wouldn't struggled to keep up with the electrics at that time. It might be nice if you started adding some boom boxes spot lights and running a converter for your RV off of it other wise just enjoy the fact that you don't have to mess with it and go on your trip.

If you are having issues with your old one and you have the new alternator for no cost that's a different story.... Tedd
I am not having any trouble the system at all but I got this higher power alternator for free, it was used very little before my buddy switched to an LS and couldn't use it any more. I'm thinking If I happen to go to electric fans it may be required but I don't plan to do that in the near future.
Old August 9th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Just an Olds Guy

What is the output of the alternator you have in the VC now? Just an FYI, most cars with AC came with a 63 amp alternator so if you have less, I'd go with an upgrade. A 135 alt is overkill for your needs but it won't hurt as it will never really be under any load.
Old August 9th, 2018, 06:59 PM

I’d be curious what the rating is on your current alternator. Of you added all the options, and didn’t upgrade the charging system then you may be on borrowed time. I think 135 amps would be overkill, but you definitely won’t work it hard.

If electric fans are future upgrades, you will absolutely need more current. Whatever you use, make sure you upgrade the wiring.

My thoughts on upgrades is service on the road. When your 10 miles northeast of nowhere on a Sunday evening where will you find a alternator to replace your fancy aftermarket part? Look into a 94 amp GM alternator from a 307 Olds powered Cadillac, , I’m running a 120 amp CS series from a later car (can’t reme the original application). Not parts are stocked at AutoZone or Advance auto, and keep your original charging system warning light functional.
Old August 10th, 2018, 04:57 AM

One thing to think about changing to a different alternator is that you might have to modify the brackets a bit to make them fit. I had to enlarge the holes on my stock brackets when I went to a more modern alternator. The hardware on the new alternator was metric too.
Old August 10th, 2018, 06:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

To clarify a little, the original alternator in a non-A/C car with base equipment (ie, manual windows, etc) would have been 37 amps. An A/C car or one with lots of electric power options would have gotten a 55 amp or 63 amp alternator. You should at least upgrade to that. What I've done is to use either the 12SI from a 1986 Olds Custom Cruiser with 307 motor (available in either 78 amp or 94 amp) or the CS130 from a 1988 Custom Cruiser with 307 (105 amp). Both of these alternators bolt directly to your current brackets. The 12SI is visually closer to the original alternator if that matters to you. You can swap the pulley and fan from your original to the 12SI for even more camouflage. I've used both of these and both work fine. I currently have the CS130 in my 62 F-85. Either one will run you about $50-$75 at RockAuto, including core charge (since presumably you won't have a core to return).
Old August 10th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Wouldn't changing to a SI alternator require a change to the harness plug as well? Doesn't 67 use a DN type plug in for the alternator?
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
Wouldn't changing to a SI alternator require a change to the harness plug as well? Doesn't 67 use a DN type plug in for the alternator?
Changing to any internally regulated alternator requires wiring changes. I was only addressing fitment to the brackets. The wiring is easy.
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Noted. Curiosity compels me to ask: What year GM was the last DN regular production alternator?
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Noted. Curiosity compels me to ask: What year GM was the last DN regular production alternator?
Great trivia question!

1972 should have been the last year for Oldsmobile, but I don't know about the rest of GM.
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Aha! Your mission Mr. Padavano - should you decide to accept it - is to search out the answer to that teaser. This message will not self destruct in 5 seconds

I have a DN alternator in my 72, and it was close to end of model year production, so I'm curious. Maybe I'll look too.
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

I have a DN alternator in my 72, and it was close to end of model year production, so I'm curious. Maybe I'll look too.
An interesting factoid is that while Olds used the 10SI in the 1969-71 442s and Toros, for the 1972 model year they reverted to the 10DN across the board. The SI came back for the 1973 model year. Funny, the same thing happened to the inline six motor.
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I wonder if that could have something to do with 1972 being a model year that was supposed to introduce the Colonnade style body? It doesn't make sense to go backwards though in the electrical/mechanical department though. It would make more sense to standardize the electrical charging systems for the entire lineup rather than just a select couple models.