General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Floor pans

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2018, 07:18 AM

Floor pans

I just bought a 66 jetstar 88. Well I was wondering would floor pans out of Cutlass work to fix a 3 inch hole in floor pans. Also I tried looking for parts catolgs for olds 88, not having much look. Any recommendations? Or would some things from Cutlass catolg work?
Old February 28th, 2018, 02:46 PM

I don't know if Cutlass floor pans would work, but I would be surprised if they did right out of the box. Might be easier to fabricate needed patch panels from scratch.

You'll find that the full-size Oldsmobiles are not supported in the aftermarket the way Cutlasses are, and even Cutlass aren't supported the way Chevys and Fords are.

If you haven't been to their site, check out Fusick Automotive (www.fusick.com) as they're probably the oldest and best-know Olds parts supplier out there. They have a catalog specific to '61 to '75 full-size Oldsmobiles, and that will have parts for your car, but probably not everthing you might need. Mechanical parts (engine/drivetrain/suspension/brakes--but famously not brake drums) should also be relatively available at your local auto parts store or online at places like rockauto.com.

Body and trim parts (fenders, doors, bumpers, seats, etc.) are not reproduced. Fix what you have or find something from a junkyard or parts car.

Keep in mind that, for the three years of its existence (1964 through 1966), the Jetstar 88 (but not the Jetstar I, made in '64 and '65) was a hybrid between the full-size and A-body Oldsmobiles. If was a full-size Olds in dimensions and body parts, but it used the A-body brakes and engines. So your car, if it has its original engine, has a 330 V-8, the same base V-8 as offered in the Cutlass lines and not available in the Dynamic or Delta 88's of the same year. Those cars and the 98 came with the 425, which was offered in various flavors, but that engine was not offered in the Jetstar 88. I could go on, but I think you can get the point.

Good luck, and let's see some photos of this beast!

Last edited by jaunty75; February 28th, 2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old February 28th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Craigmanthie
I just bought a 66 jetstar 88. Well I was wondering would floor pans out of Cutlass work to fix a 3 inch hole in floor pans. Also I tried looking for parts catolgs for olds 88, not having much look. Any recommendations? Or would some things from Cutlass catolg work?
No body parts from a Cutlass fit. The Cutlass is an A-body, the Jetstar is a B-body. Different width, different wheelbase, different sheet metal. Impala pans may or may not be usable. The Impalas of that vintage used a completely different frame and suspension from Olds full size cars.
Old February 28th, 2018, 04:32 PM

if you just need to patch,you might get by with an impala partial pan. https://www.classicindustries.com/sh...ls/floor-pans/
Old March 1st, 2018, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
if you just need to patch,you might get by with an impala partial pan. https://www.classicindustries.com/sh...ls/floor-pans/
Thanks I look into maybe look into Impala, holes not very big. Maybe could just cut section out and weld see if they work.
Old March 1st, 2018, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I don't know if Cutlass floor pans would work, but I would be surprised if they did right out of the box. Might be easier to fabricate needed patch panels from scratch.

You'll find that the full-size Oldsmobiles are not supported in the aftermarket the way Cutlasses are, and even Cutlass aren't supported the way Chevys and Fords are.

If you haven't been to their site, check out Fusick Automotive (www.fusick.com) as they're probably the oldest and best-know Olds parts supplier out there. They have a catalog specific to '61 to '75 full-size Oldsmobiles, and that will have parts for your car, but probably not everthing you might need. Mechanical parts (engine/drivetrain/suspension/brakes--but famously not brake drums) should also be relatively available at your local auto parts store or online at places like rockauto.com.

Body and trim parts (fenders, doors, bumpers, seats, etc.) are not reproduced. Fix what you have or find something from a junkyard or parts car.

Keep in mind that, for the three years of its existence (1964 through 1966), the Jetstar 88 (but not the Jetstar I, made in '64 and '65) was a hybrid between the full-size and A-body Oldsmobiles. If was a full-size Olds in dimensions and body parts, but it used the A-body brakes and engines. So your car, if it has its original engine, has a 330 V-8, the same base V-8 as offered in the Cutlass lines and not available in the Dynamic or Delta 88's of the same year. Those cars and the 98 came with the 425, which was offered in various flavors, but that engine was not offered in the Jetstar 88. I could go on, but I think you can get the point.

Thanks for the help , yes I came across fusick last night and got catolg coming. Also ur so right, I been looking for many years for olds project car, just so happens I find one and find out from research it's a like both b body and a body lol, and jetstar 88 only made for 3 years, and the 330 olds rocket only made for 3 years. I have few pics of the old girl and for being 52 years old, she not too bad, no rust except surface rust, and hole in front floor, all trim is there, no dents of any kind and even has original glass. But unfortunately the olds 330 is gone. Orginal owner blew up the engine and previous owner his brother in-law, took the 330 out and junked it. Now if was me I would of saved moter to find another moter and swap parts. So I love to find another 330 to put in her, her name is Vikki btw lol, but having very tuff time finding a 330 for sale so idk, maybe try find a olds 350,403 or 455. There little easier to come by and find parts for.
Old March 1st, 2018, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75

​​​​​​ thanks, I probably see if make some patch panels, the holes are very big. Also I know what you mean I been looking for project olds for many years and I find one I love and buy it, come to find out parts for Jetstar 88 aren't easy to come by, and after doing research come to find out Jetstar 88 is both a body and b body, which only made for 3 years. Pics yes I post some, for being 52 years old tho, she in pretty good shape. There's no rust, except for front floor pans and surface rust, all the trim is the , even down to orginal Glass, but unfortunately the original 330 olds rocket is gone. Orginal owner blew it up and parked it, and guy I buy it from his brother in law. Pulled the moter and transmission and junked it, now if was me I would kept it, found a block and swap parts, or least keep good parts for another moter. I love to have 330 to go back in to her, but being only made those engine for 3 years, little hard to come by, unless want to pay fortune for them, and I can't find any close to me I in ND and cliset I found 330 is Kansas. So idk, probably just try find olds 350,403, or 455 to put back in her.

Old March 1st, 2018, 06:17 AM

Thanks for the help , yes I came across fusick last night and got catolg coming. Also ur so right, I been looking for many years for olds project car, just so happens I find one and find out from research it's a like both b body and a body lol, and jetstar 88 only made for 3 years, and the 330 olds rocket only made for 3 years. I have few pics of the old girl and for being 52 years old, she not too bad, no rust except surface rust, and hole in front floor, all trim is there, no dents of any kind and even has original glass. But unfortunately the olds 330 is gone. Orginal owner blew up the engine and previous owner his brother in-law, took the 330 out and junked it. Now if was me I would of saved moter to find another moter and swap parts. So I love to find another 330 to put in her, her name is Vikki btw lol, but having very tuff time finding a 330 for sale so idk, maybe try find a olds 350,403 or 455. There little easier to come by and find parts for.

Old March 1st, 2018, 07:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

just so happens I find one and find out from research it's a like both b body and a body lol, and jetstar 88 only made for 3 years, and the 330 olds rocket only made for 3 years.
I'm afraid you have some incorrect info there.

First, the J88 is a B-body, period. The only "A-body" parts in it are the 9.5" drum brakes and the differential. Everything else on the car is B-body, including all sheet metal, suspension, steering, etc, etc. The rear axle is unique in that it is an 8.2" like the A-body but with a unique housing. Due to width and suspension attach points this housing only fits the J88. Same for the axle shafts. The front spindles are similarly unique to the J88, since they are B-body spindles machined to accept the smaller A-body brakes and wheel bearings. The suspension arms, ball joints, bushings, steering linkage are all common with those in every other B-body car of that vintage.

Yes, it only appeared for three years (1964-66), but except for the brakes and rear axle, the car is the same as any other B-body of that vintage. In 1967, Olds basically renamed it the Delmont 88, which took over as the low-rent version of the Olds full size line, again with a 330 motor as the base equipment. If you want to talk about hard to get parts, try a 1964 J88, which has several one-year-only parts due to the B-body redesign for the 1965 model year.

The 330 motor was built from 1964 to 1967 model years. Except for the bore, it is identical to the Olds 350 motor. Be aware of differences in lifter bank angle (45 deg vs 37 deg) if you buy a cam. Also, the 1964-67 Olds motors used a different crank flange bolt pattern, so the flywheel/flexplate is different for early motors vs. 1968-up motors.
Old March 1st, 2018, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm afraid you have some incorrect info there.

First, the J88 is a B-body, period. The only "A-body" parts in it are the 9.5" drum brakes and the differential. Everything else on the car is B-body, including all sheet metal, suspension, steering, etc, etc. The rear axle is unique in that it is an 8.2" like the A-body but with a unique housing. Due to width and suspension attach points this housing only fits the J88. Same for the axle shafts. The front spindles are similarly unique to the J88, since they are B-body spindles machined to accept the smaller A-body brakes and wheel bearings. The suspension arms, ball joints, bushings, steering linkage are all common with those in every other B-body car of that vintage.

Yes, it only appeared for three years (1964-66), but except for the brakes and rear axle, the car is the same as any other B-body of that vintage. In 1967, Olds basically renamed it the Delmont 88, which took over as the low-rent version of the Olds full size line, again with a 330 motor as the base equipment. If you want to talk about hard to get parts, try a 1964 J88, which has several one-year-only parts due to the B-body redesign for the 1965 model year.

The 330 motor was built from 1964 to 1967 model years. Except for the bore, it is identical to the Olds 350 motor. Be aware of differences in lifter bank angle (45 deg vs 37 deg) if you buy a cam. Also, the 1964-67 Olds motors used a different crank flange bolt pattern, so the flywheel/flexplate is different for early motors vs. 1968-up motors.
thanks for all info and help, especially clearly up what body it actually is, so gives me better idea of what to look for when getting parts. Also the help on the difference of the 330 and 350, I didn't know that. But all this information and advice is greatly appreciated
Old March 1st, 2018, 10:15 AM

I've got a floorpan from a 1970 Delta 88. It wouldn't fit exactly into your car, but if you wanted me to cut patch panels from it that might work. This also has the gas pedal mount with two studs, I think its the same as yours if that area is rusted out.

I also have a 1966 330 engine I removed from a Cutlass. But if I were in your position I'd look for a 350 or better yet a 455 that you could source locally. I would also go with a TH350 or TH400 instead of the 2 speed that I believe your car came with. Let me know if you'd like to see photos of anything that you might be able to use. Below is the link to photos of the floorpan. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ew-photos.html
Old March 1st, 2018, 10:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I've got a floorpan from a 1970 Delta 88. It wouldn't fit exactly into your car,
Actually, the 1965-1970 B-body pans should all be pretty much the same.
Old March 1st, 2018, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I've got a floorpan from a 1970 Delta 88. It wouldn't fit exactly into your car, but if you wanted me to cut patch panels from it that might work. This also has the gas pedal mount with two studs, I think its the same as yours if that area is rusted out.

I also have a 1966 330 engine I removed from a Cutlass. But if I were in your position I'd look for a 350 or better yet a 455 that you could source locally. I would also go with a TH350 or TH400 instead of the 2 speed that I believe your car came with. Let me know if you'd like to see photos of anything that you might be able to use. Below is the link to photos of the floorpan. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ew-photos.html
Thanks for advice, I let you know on floor pans. The 330 would be great. I been looking locally for 350 or 455, but idk being in south east North Dakota, even Minnesota it's like there none around. I did find 403 out of 78 Delta, but don't know whole lot about 403. Do you?? Or anybody? Is 403 something to consider or stay away from? Everyone I contacted and post up looking for olds moter, only reponse I get is I have 307, well there must be alot of 307 laying around, and definitely don't want 307.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 05:33 AM

403 is actually a pretty good engine,i would take it over a 307 anyday.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 07:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

All small block Olds engines from the 260 to the 403 are externally identical. The 403 is a bolt in relacent for a 330. Again, you'll need the 68-up flexplate on the 403.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
All small block Olds engines from the 260 to the 403 are externally identical. The 403 is a bolt in relacent for a 330. Again, you'll need the 68-up flexplate on the 403.
Thanks
Old March 2nd, 2018, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
403 is actually a pretty good engine,i would take it over a 307 anyday.
Yeah if couldn't find 350 or 455, next would be 403. I wouldn't have 307 , but seems like that's what everyone has for sale lol, I even told someone no if I wanted a 307 I would of kept the one I had in my 82 Cutlass supreme