How to Convert 69-72 Buckets to 68's

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2018, 08:29 AM

How to Convert 69-72 Buckets to 68's

I have a set of 69 seats in my 68 that I recovered in a 68 pattern back when I restored my car. At some point in the next year or so I'm going to replace the foam (I should have done it when I recovered the seats but everything was on a budget then). I was thinking of changing them to the correct side release to make them functionally appear to be 68 seats. I know I need to replace the seat backs but I don't don't what needs to be changed internally to make the latch mechanism work. I know I might need to find a set of donor 68 seats but at about $500 for a set I'd rather not. I'm pretty sure the button itself is available but is everything else available too?
Old February 24th, 2018, 08:43 AM

Just a thought... I've got some seatbacks from the Strato Bench seats full sized cars used. It looks to me like there's one bracket that's different from the bucket seat backs. I think if that was modified to be correct for 1967-68 buckets you could bolt on the seat back with all the correct internals for the 1968's. I've not taken the time yet to experiment with it, but if you wanted to explore that possibility I could send you some pictures. John
Old February 24th, 2018, 02:26 PM

Here's some pictures of a seat back that came off a 1968 Cadillac Strato Bench seat. I pulled the chrome release button years ago, but all the rest of the release mechanism is there. This one also has the frame for the 66-68 head rests. I've also taken pictures of the portion of bracket I think would need replaced. Its got a great big rivet holding it on, so it wouldn't be easy but maybe better to cut and weld on the correct arm. Let me know if you'd like to see any close-up photos of any areas. I would think this to be much cheaper than buying bucket seat cores, and these seats were used on full sized GM cars in 1967-68. I should have a pair of these available, but since your on the far side of the country you might be able to find a set of these closer and save on shipping $$ John

Old February 24th, 2018, 03:12 PM

Thanks John,

Since I don't even know how my release mechanisms currently work yet it's hard for me to visualize how I'm going to do this. (my car is in offsite storage so I can't even look). I appreciate the pics because it starts me on the road to figuring it out.
Old February 26th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Ben

You aren't going to be able to modify the 69-72 upper seat frame to take the 68 latch mechanism short of cutting an original apart and welding it in. Its significantly different to allow the side release mechanism.

It WOULD be easy enough to take the strato bench upper cushion frame that john has and modify it for use on regular bucket seat frame though....

That funky inside hinge thats unique to the strato bench is spot welded in place to the frame, those could be drilled out- and the inside latch from a donor 69-72 seat could be welded back on... then Bingo- 67/68 seats.

An alternative if that is getting a little too technical is to just epoxy a side release buton and bezel onto a 68 seat back, and remove the 69-72 latch mechanism from your seat.

Visually it would appear to be a 68 seat, but the back would not lock.

I am actually doing exactly this on my own 68 seats. I have the 68 plastic backs & lock buttons & bezels- but i need to purchase spray dye to make them match my gold vinyl before i can do it, so its on the back burner for now.
Old February 26th, 2018, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
You aren't going to be able to modify the 69-72 upper seat frame to take the 68 latch mechanism short of cutting an original apart and welding it in. Its significantly different to allow the side release mechanism.

It WOULD be easy enough to take the strato bench upper cushion frame that john has and modify it for use on regular bucket seat frame though....

That funky inside hinge thats unique to the strato bench is spot welded in place to the frame, those could be drilled out- and the inside latch from a donor 69-72 seat could be welded back on... then Bingo- 67/68 seats.

An alternative if that is getting a little too technical is to just epoxy a side release buton and bezel onto a 68 seat back, and remove the 69-72 latch mechanism from your seat.

Visually it would appear to be a 68 seat, but the back would not lock.

I am actually doing exactly this on my own 68 seats. I have the 68 plastic backs & lock buttons & bezels- but i need to purchase spray dye to make them match my gold vinyl before i can do it, so its on the back burner for now.
Ben,

I appreciate the response. I know you're in the business and you pretty much told me what I was afraid of hearing, that there isn't any easy way to do it. I was hoping it was a minor change in design to move the button and the 69 could be easily modified to make it a 68. Probably the easiest and cheapest way to change it would be to get a set of 67-68 seats and swap everything over including the headrests. Especially since I'm putting new foam in anyway. I can probably re-sell the bare 69-72 seats when I'm done.