General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

425 engine/rear end swap/ update on me

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2017, 05:22 PM

425 engine/rear end swap/ update on me

Hey guys haven't been on the Forum in a long time mostly because I sold my two Oldsmobiles but I just wanted to say hi and update you guys.
Well I ended up selling those two cutlasses the 63 s and purchasing me 65 Skylark with some money to save. I was going to put a 472 Cadillac in there but I ended up buying a junk engine for 350 bucks, my fault. There's some time passed and I was cruising the internet for another cheap deal or engine and I came across 1955 Packard Clipper custom for 350 bucks. So I purchased it I took it to my mom's home it came complete with the engine transmission and Body & Trim just missing the radiator. I heard these Transmissions aren't any good but the Packard engine is, but nothing bolts up to it but a Ford Toploader transmission. Any input on homemaking a trans adapter for a th400. I'm considering Oldsmobile engine and transmission for the clipper and my top choice would be a 425. What transmission went with the 425, and has anybody ever put a stick shift behind one?
​​​​​​ Now here goes a technical question. Along the internet I hear from other people how strong the Oldsmobile rear end is. When looking to do a rear end swap how do I get started. What important measurements do I need to take. Is there a chart online just how there is a chart on engine size and dimensions on rear ends?
Old October 20th, 2017, 09:08 PM

Not to hijack your thread, but are you the one that bought a 1966 442 that was red with red interior. Mondello built 455, bench seat four speed car? The car came from Texas originally. If so please contact me.
Old October 20th, 2017, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by edzolz
Not to hijack your thread, but are you the one that bought a 1966 442 that was red with red interior. Mondello built 455, bench seat four speed car? The car came from Texas originally. If so please contact me.
Not me sorry
Old October 21st, 2017, 08:10 AM

Ttt
Old October 22nd, 2017, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by RocketRonnie
Ttt
ttt
Old October 31st, 2017, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by RocketRonnie
ttt
What happened to everyone. Did I get shunned. Sour??
Old October 31st, 2017, 06:25 PM
same but different

Hi Ronnie. Its the internet, don't take any thing too seriously.
The packard clipper is a nice body style. Fits right in with the other makes of 1955. I didn't know what it is until I looked up images of them.

I like the idea of a 425. I would get a th400 to mate to it. Installing a four speed can be lot more work. For instance you would need to have the crank machined for a pilot bushing. That means the crank has to come out. Pedals and proper Z bar etc. makes the automatic much easier to install with all things considered.

I know the older Olds rears were popular with hot rodders in their day. They did have a good reputation. As far swapping goes I don't have much knowledge in that department. Once you find a baseline for rear widths in the clipper now, might make it easier from a starting point. Maybe a station wagon rearend would work? I'm just guessing. Start by measuring backing plate to backing plate and understanding weather its leaf sprung or coil spring mounted. The mounts will have to be redone or moved.

I have a swap meet junkyard manual someone put together, but it lists nothing going back quite that far, no mention of packards or studes, or that generation.
Old October 31st, 2017, 06:27 PM

You post is sorta all over the place but an answer or two.... the 425 trans were the 4spd Muncie long tail, 3 speed Dearborn (I think) and Turbo 400 and the Toro front wheel drive Turbo. The RWD Turbo 400 is of the long tail shaft variety. So too would be the standard trans as the 425 was only available in the larger B body and FWD Toro. Most 425s, 99% were mated to and auto trans so the crank would need t be drilled for a stick pilot bearing if going that route. As for Olds rears they gained a reputation in later 50's...1957 era as being pretty strong. The 10 bolt and 12 bolt cover rears in the 60's were ok but not the greatest for strength.
Old October 31st, 2017, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
You post is sorta all over the place but an answer or two.... the 425 trans were the 4spd Muncie long tail, 3 speed Dearborn (I think) and Turbo 400 and the Toro front wheel drive Turbo. The RWD Turbo 400 is of the long tail shaft variety. So too would be the standard trans as the 425 was only available in the larger B body and FWD Toro. Most 425s, 99% were mated to and auto trans so the crank would need t be drilled for a stick pilot bearing if going that route. As for Olds rears they gained a reputation in later 50's...1957 era as being pretty strong. The 10 bolt and 12 bolt cover rears in the 60's were ok but not the greatest for strength.
Thanks guys. I just found out the car is 12amp POSITIVE ground. I really don't want to run the Packard Engine and the twin ultramatic trans because they cost so much to do and parts are crazy to find. Any tips on converting to negative ground. Hear are some pictures of the Clipper

Old October 31st, 2017, 07:03 PM

Thanks guys. I just found out the car is 12amp POSITIVE ground. I really don't want to run the Packard Engine and the twin ultramatic trans because they cost so much to do and parts are crazy to find. Any tips on converting to negative ground. Hear are some pictures of the Clipper

Old October 31st, 2017, 07:26 PM
same but different

That car has all the styling hallmarks of its brothers and sisters of the era. Again, I had no idea what one of those looked like until an hour ago.

Looks pretty good in photos, but honestly there is a lot of work to do Ronnie.

As far as the postive ground issue, Lots of cars and models used this system back then. All I can do is to send you to google and you tube and search what others have done. Its been a long time since I've searched positive ground information. Its associated with six volt systems, thats about all I can remember.
Old October 31st, 2017, 07:32 PM

I think you mean 12 volt, positive ground. I like the body style on that car,you could use hydraulic throwout bearing,still need the crank done tho. have any pics of the engine bay?
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
I think you mean 12 volt, positive ground. I like the body style on that car,you could use hydraulic throwout bearing,still need the crank done tho. have any pics of the engine bay?
Old October 31st, 2017, 09:01 PM

I know it's gonna be an uphill climb.
Old October 31st, 2017, 10:02 PM

You might try a Toro front mount it might fit. But the rear your on your own.
I'm doing a 65 442 clone right now it's hard work.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 05:44 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Too bad on the Packard V8. Once you get rid of that hokey vacuum oil pump set up, it is a good motor. They actually adapt a second gen, our Olds 260-455 oil pump for them. Nothing wrong with a Ford Toploader manual. Is the motor seized? Egge makes pistons and has bearings I believe for the Packard V8. You will have measure and adapt around the Packard to make an Olds V8 and trans fit.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 05:56 AM

You sure you want to do this? The Packard crowd is pretty fanatical and Packard stuff goes for crazy money. Your car, do what you like.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by m371961
You sure you want to do this? The Packard crowd is pretty fanatical and Packard stuff goes for crazy money. Your car, do what you like.
car purist don't make me skip one beat.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Too bad on the Packard V8. Once you get rid of that hokey vacuum oil pump set up, it is a good motor. They actually adapt a second gen, our Olds 260-455 oil pump for them. Nothing wrong with a Ford Toploader manual. Is the motor seized? Egge makes pistons and has bearings I believe for the Packard V8. You will have measure and adapt around the Packard to make an Olds V8 and trans fit.
hey bud, what all needs to be done for the olds oil pump swap. Kinda of on the fence about the Packard v8. Part of me want to keep it.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 07:59 PM

Dude, you need to sell that thing to someone who will save it if you don't want to keep it original power. It's not cool to wreck a survivor that still has its original power.

Also, you could make mad money. If you don't want it, clean her up and sell her and then have enough dough to totally finance your next car. Hell, get that old V8 running (do it right, don't hurt it) and sell it for bigger money.
Old November 4th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Here you go. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...K99mzt7PyynEc_
Jack Vines on the Packard and Studebaker-Packard forums builds quite a few of these. I saw a $3995 price from him for a complete professional overhaul.
Old November 4th, 2017, 10:08 AM

Here you go. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...K99mzt7PyynEc_
Jack Vines on the Packard and Studebaker-Packard forums builds quite a few of these. I saw a $3995 price from him for a complete professional overhaul.
Thanks alot you always been good to me.
I'm gonna end up keeping the Packard Engine because it is a good engine in the end besides the oiling issue.

I'm now wanting to mate it with a th400 because it might me to torquey for a th350. I know they sell a adapter plate for 800. But I would like to have one fabricated at a local shop around where I live for cheaper.

Any suggestions on fabricating adapters for transmission.
Old November 4th, 2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Dude, you need to sell that thing to someone who will save it if you don't want to keep it original power. It's not cool to wreck a survivor that still has its original power.

Also, you could make mad money. If you don't want it, clean her up and sell her and then have enough dough to totally finance your next car. Hell, get that old V8 running (do it right, don't hurt it) and sell it for bigger money.
I'm keeping this sweet ride
Old November 4th, 2017, 02:53 PM

Then keep all of it.
Old November 5th, 2017, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Then keep all of it.
my car, my decision. I'm not run an inferior transmission just to "be cool" or accepted.
Old November 6th, 2017, 08:12 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Unfortunately the Twin Ultramatic in 55 wasn't as good as the 56 version. Supposedly they just don't like the 1-2 shift under power. It does have a lock up converter but still a 2 spd trans.
Old November 6th, 2017, 08:59 PM

Unfortunately the Twin Ultramatic in 55 wasn't as good as the 56 version. Supposedly they just don't like the 1-2 shift under power. It does have a lock up converter but still a 2 spd trans.
I've heard that, that's why I don't want the ultramatic trans. I'm still brainstorming how I can get a th400 on it. The Packard 352 pokes out in the rear like the olds 303.
Old November 7th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Contact one of the Studebaker-Packard clubs. It looks like the bellhousing will need cut on a TH400 and a piece welded on matching the Packard bolt pattern. They say the Twin Ultramatic unreliability was one of the many factors that helped kill the Packard Automobile. Plus making power is no issue, our factory heads don't flow what Packards did, they claim 270 cfm supposedly. Other than the wide block making headers an issue and the stupid vacuum oil pump set up, their V8 was a very good, heavy duty, big cubic possible design. I see they used the Rochester 4GC carb factory in 55.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; November 7th, 2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old November 8th, 2017, 06:31 PM

Contact one of the Studebaker-Packard clubs. It looks like the bellhousing will need cut on a TH400 and a piece welded on matching the Packard bolt pattern. They say the Twin Ultramatic unreliability was one of the many factors that helped kill the Packard Automobile. Plus making power is no issue, our factory heads don't flow what Packards did, they claim 270 cfm supposedly. Other than the wide block making headers an issue and the stupid vacuum oil pump set up, their V8 was a very good, heavy duty, big cubic possible design. I see they used the Rochester 4GC carb factory in 55.
thanks for the bellhousing tip that's a real help. All the Packard guys are wanting me to run the twin ultramatic but I can't find one logical reason .
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Oldsdruid

Twin Ultramatic is like Slim Jim in that you can't find anyone to service them, but I'd think SoCal would have an edge up since a lot of the Kustom guys keep original drivetrains. Traditional Rod and Kulture featured a bitchin 62 Electra last year that still had its Nailhead and Dynaflow.

It was a very advanced trans for its time but like a lot of 50s AT, it had issues. GM had issues with the newly introduced Controlled Coupling HydraMatic in 56 and you don't want to think about Twin Turbine Dynaflows.

And as rotten as those Twin and TripleTurbine Dynaflows were, they evolved into Turbo HydraMatic.

Even though you have a good start for a restoration, Clippers are low-rung Packards so build the car like you want it. It'll still turn heads.

And at least you're not thinking effin' belly-button like SBC or LS. I got tired of that mentality real quick.
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Twin Ultramatic is like Slim Jim in that you can't find anyone to service them, but I'd think SoCal would have an edge up since a lot of the Kustom guys keep original drivetrains. Traditional Rod and Kulture featured a bitchin 62 Electra last year that still had its Nailhead and Dynaflow.

It was a very advanced trans for its time but like a lot of 50s AT, it had issues. GM had issues with the newly introduced Controlled Coupling HydraMatic in 56 and you don't want to think about Twin Turbine Dynaflows.

And as rotten as those Twin and TripleTurbine Dynaflows were, they evolved into Turbo HydraMatic.

Even though you have a good start for a restoration, Clippers are low-rung Packards so build the car like you want it. It'll still turn heads.

And at least you're not thinking effin' belly-button like SBC or LS. I got tired of that mentality real quick.
thanks RocketRaider. Knowing it's a low rung Packard just makes my decision even easier. At the time of purchase I seen a 400 and a Caribbean 55/56 but the man wanted more than what I had. And I just got a 01 silverado so I guess I already got a 5.3 to mess with. I like carbs and that old school deep sound of a v8. Mpg is the least of my concern. Thanks alot for your post have a Good night
Old November 10th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The dual quad Caribbean is cool for sure, they are pricy restored. Supposedly a 440 Dodge intake is an easy swap on the Packard V8.
Old November 20th, 2017, 06:57 PM

The olds 425 ran from 66-69.
I'm looking at a 66 toronado.
What's the difference between a 39* and 45* degree cam?
Why is one better?
Will a front wheel drive engine have different exhaust manifolds? Will these manifolds need to be replaced if swapped into an Engine?
Old November 20th, 2017, 07:11 PM

Why is the 68 model so desirable
Old November 21st, 2017, 05:26 AM

Only the 66 and 67 Toro had the 425 and the cam angle is 39 degree for Toro engines. Early 68 Toros had the possibility of having a forged 455 crank which is desirable. All 68 thru 76 Toros had a 455. No 425's after 67.
Old November 21st, 2017, 05:04 PM

Only the 66 and 67 Toro had the 425 and the cam angle is 39 degree for Toro engines. Early 68 Toros had the possibility of having a forged 455 crank which is desirable. All 68 thru 76 Toros had a 455. No 425's after 67.

Thanks Oldsmaniac, I didn't know the 68' toronado had the 455. Is the 39degree cam angle inferior to the 45 degree angle. What's the whole deal on the "angle"..

So no aftermarket cams for the 39'...

Thanks alot.
Old November 21st, 2017, 05:33 PM

The cam angle difference is due to production and casting. Prob no difference in performance its just you must use the cam designed for the correct cam angle, can't switch them. Seems early production 330's and 425's had the 45 degree. In 67 most all V8's had the 39 degree. Toro 425's had larger lifters like the 66 and 67 400's which had the 39 degree. Bottom line is to get the correct cam for the block you have.