General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help, gangsta lean

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2017 | 06:14 PM

Help, gangsta lean

Looking for everyone's thoughts on what might be the main culprit that is causing my 442 to lean towards the driver's side. Measurements from the ground to the top of the wheel opening:

FL 26 1/2" - FR 27 3/8"
RL 26 7/8" - RR 27 3/8"

Springs?
Old November 1st, 2017 | 06:18 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

How old are the springs and does the car only have a driver in it most of the time?
Old November 1st, 2017 | 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
How old are the springs and does the car only have a driver in it most of the time?
Possibly original springs. For the past year, solo driving. Previous owners, who knows?
Old November 1st, 2017 | 08:15 PM
72 Olds CS

see if it measures the same difference to the frame if yes its springs if no could be body mounts rotted or sacked rubber mounts to body
Old November 1st, 2017 | 10:10 PM
wait.... what....

Mine is doing the exact same thing. I have new springs, new body mounts. I was thinking that I might have tightened up the control arms too tight before I had any weight on the suspension. I’m waiting till I have all the glass and interior back in the car, and then I’ll loosen off the control arm bolts, and torque them with the weight on them.
Old November 2nd, 2017 | 06:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

First thing is don't measure to the wheel opening. That surface can be anywhere and is not controlled relative to the frame. The factory ride height settings are measured to the bottom flat surface on the rockers, outboard of the pinchweld, as shown in the Chassis Service Manual.

Obviously you have a sagging spring or improperly installed spring problem, but get the correct measurements first.
Old November 2nd, 2017 | 09:18 AM

Stupid question - Are you sure your garage floor is level? Mine slopes the same direction yours is leaning (there is a drain in the middle).
Old November 2nd, 2017 | 11:10 AM
Cory

Same lean on my 72. Installed new springs front and rear. Checked bushings and found no play in suspension.

Discovered a crack at the left underside junction of front crossmember and frame which caused the frame to sag about 1/2". That created a 1" rise at the right rear. (measurements were corners of frame to floor)
Old November 2nd, 2017 | 11:24 AM

Mine was also leaning to one side. Unrelated, I took it to the body shop for its regular 20 year re-spray. The owners 80+ year old father walked around the car and said “bent frame”. A few minutes on the frame machine and all was well.
Old November 2nd, 2017 | 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
First thing is don't measure to the wheel opening. That surface can be anywhere and is not controlled relative to the frame. The factory ride height settings are measured to the bottom flat surface on the rockers, outboard of the pinchweld, as shown in the Chassis Service Manual.

Obviously you have a sagging spring or improperly installed spring problem, but get the correct measurements first.
Good point, thank you. Springs are the prime suspect. Do you have any recommended sources? My car is far past bringing it to original, so aftermarket springs are a consideration.
Old November 2nd, 2017 | 05:57 PM

On a long shot, but check to see if the spring is sitting in the front lower control arm the correct way. It might just have to be spun slightly to cradle correctly. It does however seem the rear is the issue, but it's worth a look.

On another note: I know most guys are fond of the 68'ts but that is the best, non women, rear view out there. It was a toss up between a 69 & a 71 when I started looking for another Cutlass. I like the aluminium grills on the 71 Supreme as well but nothing beats that rear shot in the car world.
Old November 2nd, 2017 | 09:06 PM

I'm partial to the 67's ***, but the 68's honkers.

I can't recall, are the rear springs the same, or opposite wound? If they are the same, and he is cheap, swapping them might help, but it's the same work to replace them anyway.