General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

original carpet 1970 442?

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2017 | 07:31 PM
Maintained

original carpet 1970 442?

was looking under the drivers sill plate tonight and found this tag. does anybody know if this is an aftermarket carpet maker or could it be the original carpet. car is low miles and mostly original. i can;t find any reference to this tag on the net. any help appreciated. thanks
Old July 4th, 2017 | 07:33 PM

That is original.

Also...notice the 1969 date code on the R side of the tag.
Old July 4th, 2017 | 07:38 PM
Maintained

Originally Posted by 70Post
That is original.

Also...notice the 1969 date code on the R side of the tag.
wow...that was quick. thank you
i was sure the carpet had been replaced, as most black carpets fade to purple over time, but this one is like new.
thanks again.
Old July 4th, 2017 | 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by scottv442
most black carpets fade to purple over time
Mine is heading towards grey/white due to the intense sun here in Phoenix.
Old July 4th, 2017 | 09:40 PM

I sprayed mine with Duplicolor Fabric paint and it looks great.
Old July 4th, 2017 | 10:45 PM

Sorry for change of subject, but is that your W-30 in the avatar? I do not recall ever seeing that color combination before on a 442, it is very unique and eye-catching.
Old July 4th, 2017 | 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by scottv442
wow...that was quick. thank you
i was sure the carpet had been replaced, as most black carpets fade to purple over time, but this one is like new.
thanks again.
No...most NEW carpets fade.....these old originals must have used some "better living through chemistry" chemicals in the dyes that don't get used any longer. Down here, the original black carpets fade to a brownish color (with heavier sun exposure) but the loops remain nice so they can be dyed.

I have the original black carpet in my '70 W30 and the color is pretty solid. The car didn't sit out in the sun for years and years so that likely accounts for some of the lack of fading but my bet is they utilized some chemicals in the dyes back then that are no longer used. Had an original owner '70 Buick Stage 1 here recently for quite some time and the original black carpet had definitely "browned out" a bit where it wasn't covered by the floor mats on the front half.
Old July 5th, 2017 | 05:48 AM
Maintained

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Sorry for change of subject, but is that your W-30 in the avatar? I do not recall ever seeing that color combination before on a 442, it is very unique and eye-catching.
Hey Anthony....yup thats the car.
Picked it up in May from the second owner.
Car is all original paint and stripes from the factory, but the front buckets were recovered, so I just assumed the carpet had been replaced since it was in excellent condition. Then last night I opened the dual gate cover to lube the thing and noticed old cig. buts and stuff inside, that shouldn't have been there if the carpet had been replaced.

The rallye red really pops in the sun.
Old July 5th, 2017 | 05:52 AM
Maintained

No...most NEW carpets fade.....these old originals must have used some "better living through chemistry" chemicals in the dyes that don't get used any longer. Down here, the original black carpets fade to a brownish color (with heavier sun exposure) but the loops remain nice so they can be dyed.

I have the original black carpet in my '70 W30 and the color is pretty solid. The car didn't sit out in the sun for years and years so that likely accounts for some of the lack of fading but my bet is they utilized some chemicals in the dyes back then that are no longer used. Had an original owner '70 Buick Stage 1 here recently for quite some time and the original black carpet had definitely "browned out" a bit where it wasn't covered by the floor mats on the front half.

Good to know.

In Alberta our roads are salted/chemically treated in winter and the chemicals usually get transferred to a cars carpet thru foot traffic. This and the sun in summer turns carpets to crap. The old carpets are definitely heavier than repos.
Old July 5th, 2017 | 06:47 AM

carpet

Vaughn

Notice the 1969 date code on the carpet tag. That carpet is original.

Like Randy I too dyed the carpet in my 1970 W31 & it really was an improvement.

Pull the back seat & look for a broadcast card attached to the seat spring base. That is where I found the cards for both my 1970 W-31 & my 1972 W-30.

Dave
Old July 5th, 2017 | 07:03 AM

Right...it's what Patton says here, it's only the "new" carpet that fades to purple. I've dyed old carpet with SEM and it comes back decent. ACC used to make better carpet, I used it in my 442 maybe 20 years ago and no fading. Recently, they seemed to have changed the dye and now the stuff goes purple fast, especially in 'verts. ACC management were in a plane crash some years ago, and all of them died (not dyed). Then the quality went straight down. Weird...but true...