Fuel filters for use with Electric Fuel Pumps

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Ben

Fuel filters for use with Electric Fuel Pumps

Posting this in the racing section since i figure there will be a higher percentage of folks running electric pumps.

My goal for this week is to mount & plumb my electric fuel pump.
I know where I'm going to mount it, but I need to figure out the filter situation.

I understand that you need to run a fuel filter before the pump to keep junk from getting into it.

a friend of mine gave me a Fram canister style setup he had on his shelf- 5micron filtering. However I've done some reading and it seems the general consensus is these need real good filtering before them and 5 micron probably isn't even close.

So now I'm looking at this inline 100micron filter http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-12316

Anybody have any thoughts before IO pull the trigger? i don't really know much about this filtering stuff, but would like to just do it once.

BTW... I also have a summit 10micron filter right before the carb (used to be in front of the mechanical fuel pump)

Thanks-
Ben

BTW- this is feeding my 455, Holly Red street pump
Old July 29th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Ben

ok- i was put straight by a couple of my friends...
apparently i had it backwards (seems obvious now) the larger micron number the larger the particles... so the 5 micron filter is considerably better as far as particle catching...
In addition, the straight through style do not have as much surface area, and can get clogged easier vs a larger style.

So i'll be sticking with the larger fram- so this was essentially a really dumb but useful (to me at least) lesson. :-)
Old July 29th, 2013, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
ok- i was put straight by a couple of my friends...
apparently i had it backwards (seems obvious now) the larger micron number the larger the particles... so the 5 micron filter is considerably better as far as particle catching...
In addition, the straight through style do not have as much surface area, and can get clogged easier vs a larger style.

So i'll be sticking with the larger fram- so this was essentially a really dumb but useful (to me at least) lesson. :-)

I've been using the Fram canister filter for over 20 yrs on my junk
between tank and pump and never had a problem.
Old July 30th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Ben

Thanks Rob- I'm going for it.

Question- what kind of tank do you have, and where/how do you have your pump mounted?

I have a stock non-sumped tank- thinking about mounting in front of the tank, hang it from a bracket from the trunk floor(rubber isolated of course)

any thoughts?
Old July 30th, 2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Thanks Rob- I'm going for it.

Question- what kind of tank do you have, and where/how do you have your pump mounted?

I have a stock non-sumped tank- thinking about mounting in front of the tank, hang it from a bracket from the trunk floor(rubber isolated of course)

any thoughts?
stock tank / stock lines out of tank have filter attached to floor pan against back side if back seat - with a 180* loop braided line to the pump
which is mounted on trunk side of floor pan over rear end then line back to the stock line going up to front .. so it really is almost doing a big
360* circle to keep the bends minimal and allow the flow. had to wrap
one side with alum foil to keep from heat soaking though as routed about
1" away from tailpipe when it goes over the axle on dr. side.