MSD Atomic EFI Throttle Body Injection

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2019, 03:03 PM

MSD Atomic EFI Throttle Body Injection

Has anyone installed this on their ride, and was it worth it vs the Holley sniper set up vs carb
Old February 8th, 2019, 09:25 PM

I have a buddy who installed it on a very stock 1985 Chevy truck with a 350 with only headers and an Edelbrock performer intake on it.

He likes the system, and after I helped him on some issues, he got it running very nicely and getting better mileage and better throttle response than the stock quadrajet.

His mild-stock engine pulls 19 inches of vacuum at idle at 600rpm smoothly.

I have heard good things about the Holley, but I don't have any personal knowledge of them.

What type of engine are you thinking about adding EFI to?

Are you looking for better performance, better mileage, coolness factor, something to play with, etc?
Old February 9th, 2019, 05:32 AM

Really just like the idea of reliability easy starting, not really concerned about fuel mileage and it is cool.
the only concern. I don't like the idea of the rubber line but I am sure I could use the hard line or run hard line.
I like the look of the sniper Quadrajet but do like the Msd since it doesn't need a return line.
Old February 9th, 2019, 09:57 PM

You didn't mention if your engine is stock or modified, but you are right, you will gain reliability, easy starting, and they are cool.

Steel/stainless steel hardline is a good idea if you have to run fuel that contains any ethanol, as the only rubber/flex line that will hold up very long to fuels that contain ethanol is the Earl's vapor guard line. It is a nice idea to run hardline for the majority of your car, and only run flexible vapor guard line where you need access to things like the tank and from the frame to the throttle body.

Yes, you can run a Pulse width modulated fuel pump with the MSD system so you don't have to run a return line.
Old February 10th, 2019, 06:40 AM

I am wondering Is the stock steel line from the tank large enough to use, and could the pump be mounted closer to the front
Old February 10th, 2019, 07:10 AM

You could utilize the stock steel line if you replace all the points where it has rubber soft hose with vapor guard.

as for the pump, you are best off to get an in-tank setup and new fuel tank from tanks inc.

these high pressure turbine fuel pumps do not self prime and need to be submerged in fuel or gravity fed fuel all the time or they will burn up.

you might also look at the fitech or Edelbrock remote fuel reservoir system that has a fuel pump mounted in it if you don’t want to get into a new fuel tank and rear mounted pump
Old February 10th, 2019, 01:00 PM

Don’t use the FITech reservoir, too many issues.
I’ve had an external pump on my car for 15 years. It’s mounted low enough that it’s primed all the time. No issues ever.
Old February 10th, 2019, 02:14 PM

I just found the holly intank sending/fuel pump I really like the thought of this setup just swap the old for a new all in one,
and I like the Quadrajet style sniper series from Holley
Old February 10th, 2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mcolabella
I just found the holly intank sending/fuel pump I really like the thought of this setup just swap the old for a new all in one,
and I like the Quadrajet style sniper series from Holley
If you decide to go that way let me know, I may be able to help.
Old February 10th, 2019, 06:19 PM

Was wondering about putting the pump in and running a regulator so I can still run a carb, and be ready for when I can afford the throttle body itself