Fuel line sizing

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2018, 02:30 PM

Fuel line sizing

While the frame is bare I figure now would be a good time to run brake and fuel lines. The frame has been boxed but the old fuel line (using as a pattern) seems to lie all right.

Engine is a 455 with a Holley Street Avenger 870, aluminum intake & heads. I have a new Tanks Inc tank with a Walbro in-tank electric fuel pump (255 lph) that will run to an Aeromotive carb regulator.

Here is where I have conflicting information: Tanks state to use a -6AN line and return from tank to regulator, Aeromotive states to use a -10AN feed line with a -8AN return.

Do I need lines that big? I was hoping to use new factory style steel lines and then just modify the ends at the tank and regulator. If I have to go big I would probably run hoses for feed and return.
Old May 5th, 2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by rpinnt
While the frame is bare I figure now would be a good time to run brake and fuel lines. The frame has been boxed but the old fuel line (using as a pattern) seems to lie all right.

Engine is a 455 with a Holley Street Avenger 870, aluminum intake & heads. I have a new Tanks Inc tank with a Walbro in-tank electric fuel pump (255 lph) that will run to an Aeromotive carb regulator.

Here is where I have conflicting information: Tanks state to use a -6AN line and return from tank to regulator, Aeromotive states to use a -10AN feed line with a -8AN return.

Do I need lines that big? I was hoping to use new factory style steel lines and then just modify the ends at the tank and regulator. If I have to go big I would probably run hoses for feed and return.
On a return line it usually needs to be the same size or one size smaller than the feed line. Never use any tiny vapor factory lines for this. The size of the line depends on the fuel consumed/max horsepower flow needed, and the pressure of the pump used times the diameter of the line, to give you the flow/power it can feed.

Another way is just to use the 3/8 line and keep an eye on the fuel pressure at the carb/injection, which you really need to do anyway once running at first.