New Edelbrock Heads

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2021 | 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
That’s only one part of it. But that’s ok, you just told me how little you really know about cam tech. Have a nice day as well.
Our builds run and have run 8000rpm for 500 miles plus. since the mid 70's.
So. yup have no clue.
Carry on.
Old February 23rd, 2021 | 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Grayghost
So. yup have no clue.
Carry on.
You can buy a cam from anybody. That doesn’t automatically mean you know the ins and outs of cam tech, sorry.
Old February 23rd, 2021 | 04:27 PM

So. yup have no clue.
Carry on.
Do those have a "5 axis" valve job?
Old February 24th, 2021 | 02:19 AM

Nothing like a good head thread in the winter!!!

How many people are actually running a Torq Storm, 3? I've seen 2, and they were on the same car!
Old February 24th, 2021 | 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
Do those have a "5 axis" valve job?
No.
Old February 24th, 2021 | 07:02 AM

Question

No.
I'm just having some fun with you, looks like your quite busy with the "the tuner". Speaking of the tuner, I'm looking forward to some 455 dyno tests on the new dyno, interested in seeing how they compare to Matt Scranton's dyno facility.
Old February 24th, 2021 | 11:21 AM
Gary

..I'm looking forward to some 455 dyno tests on the new dyno...
We all are as well.

But we try not to get after him about it. Mark's been through a difficult situation and he'll let us know when the tests get moving.
Old February 24th, 2021 | 09:55 PM

VORTECPRO
Mark how much flow do you typically pick after one of your precision high performance vale jobs? What does that look like in terms of HP/TQ increase?
Old February 25th, 2021 | 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
VORTECPRO
Mark how much flow do you typically pick after one of your precision high performance vale jobs? What does that look like in terms of HP/TQ increase?
I guess that would depend on the head and the valve job on the head. On a BBC you can make some low to mid lift flow gains with the valve job and back cuts on the intake valve, maybe around 10 cfm @ 28 inches. Typically on a street engine build I would take the .400 lift flow number @ 28 inches and X 2 for HP potential, not exact but should give you some idea. Example : 270 CFM @ 28 inches @ .400 lift = 540 HP. I always expect an engine to see no more than .85 of the actual lift while running @ RPM. Example: .810 X .85 = .688

Last edited by VORTECPRO; February 25th, 2021 at 05:56 AM.
Old February 25th, 2021 | 06:38 AM

I guess that would depend on the head and the valve job on the head. On a BBC you can make some low to mid lift flow gains with the valve job and back cuts on the intake valve, maybe around 10 cfm @ 28 inches. Typically on a street engine build I would take the .400 lift flow number @ 28 inches and X 2 for HP potential, not exact but should give you some idea. Example : 270 CFM @ 28 inches @ .400 lift = 540 HP. I always expect an engine to see no more than .85 of the actual lift while running @ RPM. Example: .810 X .85 = .688

Thanks Mark

Very informative post as usual.
Old February 25th, 2021 | 07:37 AM

The first part of the post was unnecessary, enough of the BBC comparisons. Take it somewhere else.
Thank you.

Last edited by cutlassefi; February 25th, 2021 at 07:39 AM.
Old February 25th, 2021 | 08:08 AM

I'm just having some fun with you, looks like your quite busy with the "the tuner". Speaking of the tuner, I'm looking forward to some 455 dyno tests on the new dyno, interested in seeing how they compare to Matt Scranton's dyno facility.
VORTECPRO Mark how much flow do you typically pick after one of your precision high performance vale jobs? What does that look like in terms of HP/TQ increase?
Thanks Mark Very informative post as usual.
Did you guys ever consider exchanging email addresses ? Here you are cluttering up another thread with impertinent banter thats not related to the topic. This thread wasn't intended to be "message board" for BS.
Thank you.

Old February 25th, 2021 | 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by oldster ralph
did you guys ever consider exchanging email addresses ? Here you are cluttering up another thread with impertinent banter thats not related to the topic. This thread wasn't intended to be "message board" for bs.
Thank you.
x2
Old February 25th, 2021 | 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Did you guys ever consider exchanging email addresses ? Here you are cluttering up another thread with impertinent banter thats not related to the topic. This thread wasn't intended to be "message board" for BS.
Thank you.
Absolutely. It's become a cluster and it's a competition to see who's the smartest.
Old February 25th, 2021 | 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Absolutely. It's become a cluster and it's a competition to see who's the smartest.
I would correct you, I'm not in competition with anyone.
Old February 25th, 2021 | 05:46 PM

The first part of the post was unnecessary, enough of the BBC comparisons. Take it somewhere else.
Thank you.

I would imagine the above information would apply to a Oldsmobile. So heres an example: Duh's A body that ran 11.5-11.6 @ 3700 pounds, from his own posts, with a 213 CFM flow @ .400 lift from his Edelbrock heads, so lets look at the numbers:

@ 28 inches 213 CFM @ .400 lift X 2 = 426 HP

1320/114=11.57 ET
114.4 MPH @ 3700 pounds = 426.85 HP

Personally I think I posted information people could use on this forum.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; February 26th, 2021 at 08:10 AM.
Old February 25th, 2021 | 06:00 PM

Thank you.
No I won't. An education wouldn't hurt you one bit........................I just responded to the question asked.
Old February 25th, 2021 | 06:12 PM

Thank you.

My question relates to all cylinder heads and potential gains one might see with a quality performance valve job.
I could email Mark and ask him directly but this board is about sharing information. I learn from questions others post and I hope others learn from questions I post.
The reason I asked Mark directly is because he is the most qualified to answer the question !!!
Have a nice day

Last edited by Bernhard; February 25th, 2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old February 25th, 2021 | 06:52 PM

Old February 25th, 2021 | 07:31 PM

I would correct you, I'm not in competition with anyone.
Did I mention your name?
Old February 26th, 2021 | 04:45 AM

I would imagine the above information would apply to a Oldsmobile. So heres an example: Duh's A body that ran 11.5-11.6 @ 3700 pounds, from his own posts, with a 213 CFM flow @ .400 lift from his Edelbrock heads, so lets look at the numbers:
1320/114=11.57 ET
114 MPH @ 3700 pounds = 422 HP
Bernard asked about head flow before and after your valve job in terms of HP/TQ. I’m not saying it can’t be informative but of course you put it into drag race mode. If you’re going to go in that direction then take it somewhere else and start your own post, both of you.

Last edited by cutlassefi; February 26th, 2021 at 04:50 AM.
Old February 26th, 2021 | 05:20 AM

Thats the only mode I know. Is your health all right? Will we be seeing any more Olds dyno tests in the future, is the dyno up and running? I hope everything is good with you. I had to completely overhaul my dyno over the last two weeks, not fun.
Old February 26th, 2021 | 10:30 AM
Duh

Sensitive 🐓🍭 😅😂😅😂
Old February 26th, 2021 | 05:29 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by Duh
Sensitive 🐓🍭 😅😂😅😂
No not at all, I never run to moderators. Anyway here was my reply: EFI is an engine guy as you are a racer, I don't wish bad health on either of you, Carry on.............

You might want to invest in a speak and spell.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; February 26th, 2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old February 26th, 2021 | 07:29 PM
Gary

Yes, you have done that.

However, some posts appear taunting in a passive-aggressive way.

That type of posting may be normal on ROP, but the CO audience wants information not drama.
Old March 12th, 2021 | 06:32 PM

Talked to my guy at Edelbrock, unfortunately we’re looking at July now, sorry.
But I’ll stick with my original statement, it’ll be worth it and something the Olds community needs no matter what.
Thanks Gentlemen.
Old March 13th, 2021 | 06:42 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

But I’ll stick with my original statement, it’ll be worth it and something the Olds community needs no matter what.
Thanks Gentlemen.
For small block and big block?
Old March 13th, 2021 | 11:56 AM

Thanks Gentlemen.
Did they say why the delays?
Old March 13th, 2021 | 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by skyhigh
For small block and big block?
Both. They were delayed in moving their machine shop.
Old March 17th, 2021 | 01:50 PM

Thank You very much. I emailed Edelbrock several times over the past few years and asked them to make a specific SBO cyl. head. The BBO head is just not right for SBO. I'm very happy. I did say I would buy the first 2 sets. I don't know when they are going to be available for purchase but I am VERY happy. Thank You for all your hard work towards making this happen. Will it work with a 7111 Intake? I hope Edelbrock makes an air gap SBO intake for these heads. And Edelbrock PLEASE when you make an SBO intake for these heads The holes that are NPT for the brass fittings ONLY the one for the brake vacuum fitting is 1/4 NPT. The rest are 1/8 NPT. And please correct the casting for the A/C bracket mounting hole on the right-hand front of the intake. The hole is at least a 1/4 inch off. But Thank You Edelbrock for keeping us Oldsmobile lovers in mind. Thanks and take care.
Old March 17th, 2021 | 01:59 PM

They should work with no problems.
Old March 17th, 2021 | 06:20 PM

Yes 7111 will work fine. I’ll have one on my mule when I Dyno test the new sb head. I thought I’d have that done already but just been swamped with info and build requests. I try to answer everything that comes thru my email.
Old March 18th, 2021 | 04:18 AM

1320/114=11.57 ET
114.4 MPH @ 3700 pounds = 426.85 HP

But this is a sales pitch ad for a product thread. and you're killing the o/p vibe.
I would like to see a back to back test of the old untouched edel big block olds heads and then the untouched new set.
same engine, same dyno, same day with someone over looking it that is unbiased that will make sure there isn't any tuning b/s skewing the outcome. ( I.e. backing off the timing and or, junk a/f ratios then spot on a/f ratio and a perfect timing curve for the new set ) . This will be the most useful of out of the box ,bolted on. improvement numbers
None of that ," we change the pistons because the chamber allows more compression/etc etc." to skew the back to back test.
Sadly there wasn't any old small block olds edel. heads to compare the new ones too. but a back to back same day, same dyno, same engine test of a set of untouched old edel heads on a 350 olds and then the untouched new small block heads. again with an unbiased person to keep the testing honest without the timing and a/f games to skew the outcome.
This tell the buyer if the new heads are worth the upgrade from the older design. or not.
If the difference is 20-30hp at peak for the guy that isn't going to change pistons to make use of all the new chamber offers and a new cam. the guy that is going to unbox them, and bolt them on and go. Will know, not have to guess if the cost is worth it
Most guys will see more gains just with a day spent with a air/fuel gauge and tune the carb for what the engine wants, jets, pump shot, ramps, squirters, airbleeds etc if a holley, qjet it be a little different but same deal. tune the carb to what the engine wants.and a weight and spring set to recurve their distributor. And much cheaper to find that 20-30hp this way than a new set of heads and supporting parts.
Someone getting upset about the line of questions, point in one direction. I could be wrong. But going by what little specs are known . unless you are building the short block to make use of the new chamber. you will see little to no gains to swapping on the new news over the older ones. And most that are buying complete heads are just bolting them on top of an already build engine. The extra material to port them and or, re -engineer the ports after the fact (raise the ports) might be worth wild to the guys that are going to spend 3 grand on head work after buying them. I don't see many running olds power going that route. Maybe edelbrook is planing on later down the line selling raised port cnc heads and matching intake but are not talking about it, for fear of it putting buyers in a wait and see/hold pattern.
Either way. some one got butt hurt about the questions. I don't know if he thought everyone would just bow . and not ask questions.
I question the fact of all the material for this head working port raising re -engineering without options of rocker mounting, i.e. pedestal, or shaft . just stud mounting?
Anyone that spend the cash to re engineer and raise the ports will be looking at high rpm use and a stud rocker system isn't ideal. So. things are "odd" to say the least.

Last edited by Grayghost; March 18th, 2021 at 04:33 AM.
Old March 18th, 2021 | 05:42 AM

When people pay me to build a engine Olds or otherwise, their also paying me to develop the heads because they want power, I could utilize the chamber on the new head, but just the same I will be reworking the guides, valve job, ports, and surface, just the way it is. I leave the funnel port port matching to the other builders...................

Last edited by VORTECPRO; March 18th, 2021 at 05:44 AM.
Old March 18th, 2021 | 12:09 PM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

@Grayghost, don't forget with the new sb head you don't have to run an elec fuel pump either.
Old March 19th, 2021 | 06:47 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Problem is Edelbrock's last head was not bolt on for any SBO 350 and yield over 9 to 1 compression, unless stroked or on a 403. Mark is doing a completely fair comparison, the stock early SBO iron heads worked over. The Edelbrock heads have a slightly larger chamber than the iron heads, so if anything the Edelbrock head is at a disadvantage.
Old March 19th, 2021 | 12:33 PM

That's IF they ever ship.... a guy in Kansas is getting delay after delay with May being the earliest ship date so far.
Old March 19th, 2021 | 01:03 PM

Pope Julius II: “When will you make an end?”
Michelangelo: When I am finished!” When there ready there ready! Let them do their move and get the heads right! Or for you guys in a hurry to build, find an alternative.
Old March 19th, 2021 | 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by fleming442
That's IF they ever ship.... a guy in Kansas is getting delay after delay with May being the earliest ship date so far.
I just posted they’re probably not going to be ready until at least July, why is everyone so surprised when they post a delay moving it back to even just May. I guess I may as well just keep all the info to myself then.
Old March 19th, 2021 | 01:59 PM
Duh

I just posted they’re probably not going to be ready until at least July, why is everyone so surprised when they post a delay moving it back to even just May. I guess I may as well just keep all the info to myself then.
You should. Unless it involves a Pastrami sandwich.

Quick Reply: New Edelbrock Heads