New Edelbrock Heads

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2021 | 07:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 69OldZman
There is a press release today and a thread started about Edelbrock closing the headquarters. I wonder how that will affect the new oldsmobile head release. Mark, have you heard?
Way ahead of you.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...cility-152566/

This appears to be nothing more than a parent company consolidation effort to increase profits.
Edelbrock is owned by Evanston, Ill.-based Industrial Opportunity Partners...
In February 2020, Industrial Opportunity Partners acquired COMP Performance Group, whose automotive brands include COMP Cams, TCI Automotive, FAST, ZEX and Inglese.
Acquisitions like this don't ever make financial sense unless the owner plans to consolidate operations, shut facilities, and lay off people. Blame the parent company.
Old January 29th, 2021 | 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Grayghost
This sounds D.O.A.
You must not have tried to order anything this past year... for my big block mopar project... head gaskets = 8 weeks, +.001 bearings = 5 months (luckily found a set on the shelf), custom pistons minimum lead time of 8 weeks...

Regarding the intake port location... Everybody likes griping about the port location, and that's a legit concern for a race engine, but just look at the market. Aside from the engine, there are two types of people - those that want to run a stock hood and those that don't. With the BBO configuration, there's not much you can fit under a stock hood, especially with an air cleaner. There are people out there putting a stock W30 intake on the Edelbrock heads so they can use a stock air cleaner, and even want the heads to have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump.
Old January 29th, 2021 | 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
You must not have tried to order anything this past year... for my big block mopar project... head gaskets = 8 weeks, +.001 bearings = 5 months (luckily found a set on the shelf), custom pistons minimum lead time of 8 weeks...

Regarding the intake port location... Everybody likes griping about the port location, and that's a legit concern for a race engine, but just look at the market. Aside from the engine, there are two types of people - those that want to run a stock hood and those that don't. With the BBO configuration, there's not much you can fit under a stock hood, especially with an air cleaner. There are people out there putting a stock W30 intake on the Edelbrock heads so they can use a stock air cleaner, and even want the heads to have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump.
An investment company owns them.
Yes covid messed everything up. but, the writing is on the wall, Even If they decide to cast them, the photo's and basic specs listed, The copy cat brand, will also re engineer their part, and sadly most everyone will buy the cheaper brand, just like they have for years. The info about these heads sould NOT have been made public till castings were made and ready to ship. To limit the copy cat brand from offering the same basic thing without the R&D cost. Any delay, only gives the copy cat more time to get the changes into their part.
The investment parent co. isn't going to help matters. I doubt the foundry in cali. will be casting much of anything, low volume
Old January 29th, 2021 | 03:00 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Procomp already basically copied the first gen Edelbrock head so I highly doubt if they will do a version of the improved head. As long as the Edelbrock heads appear within the next year, we should all be good with our builds. As said, everything is at a snail's pace, including machine shops. I still haven't heard from mine, probably won't for a couple more weeks. Thanks for the heads up on the custom pistons Luke, now I know what to expect.
Old January 29th, 2021 | 06:00 PM

An investment company owns them.
...and they tried being a publicly traded company for a while. Unfortunately, an investment company (or a large aftermarket company acting like one) owns just about every performance manufacturer now. IOP/Comp Performance Group, Race Winning Brands, Holley....
Old January 30th, 2021 | 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
...and they tried being a publicly traded company for a while. Unfortunately, an investment company (or a large aftermarket company acting like one) owns just about every performance manufacturer now. IOP/Comp Performance Group, Race Winning Brands, Holley....
AND other than Edelbrook, where is everything made since these investment co.s started buying them all up?
Look I like nothing more than ,them to cast the new heads, for me it be the SBO ones.
but the virus, and timing of the movement within the parent company, isn't looking good.
I hope I am 100% wrong, I would like nothing more.
Old January 30th, 2021 | 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Thanks for the heads up on the custom pistons Luke, now I know what to expect.
I get Racetecs in about 3-4 weeks.
Old January 30th, 2021 | 04:10 PM

Old January 31st, 2021 | 01:15 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I get Racetecs in about 3-4 weeks.
I am in no rush Mark, we will talk once I get the block back. I like the Mahle ring pack and their design in general but you are the expert.
Old January 31st, 2021 | 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Yeah I know exactly who screwed you out of $$$$$. He rears his ugly head on FB and gets called out sometimes for it too. I'm getting out of cars because of age and having a foot amputated due to a severe infection. I'm doing well up and walking tho. This deal with the new heads makes me want to do something but just can't make myself. Good Luck
Dang, Sorry about your foot. Is this Mike from ROP? I hope you recover well. I've had both my hips replaced from the steroids I was given throughout my Leukemia/ Stem Cell treatment, left one finally blew getting out of the Olds right before Norwalk 2008. Second one in 2009. They made one of my legs one inch longer, but I have no pain in my hips anymore. 17cm of titanium in each femur... I can still snow ski. I have to drop one ski to slalom now. Left hip socket shot some severe paint up my leg last time I tried a deep water start on a slalom ski. Still above ground! 21 years since my Stem Cell Transplant. I'm just happy to be alive at this point...
Old January 31st, 2021 | 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by propjoe
Dang, Sorry about your foot. Is this Mike from ROP? I hope you recover well. I've had both my hips replaced from the steroids I was given throughout my Leukemia/ Stem Cell treatment, left one finally blew getting out of the Olds right before Norwalk 2008. Second one in 2009. They made one of my legs one inch longer, but I have no pain in my hips anymore. 17cm of titanium in each femur... I can still snow ski. I have to drop one ski to slalom now. Left hip socket shot some severe paint up my leg last time I tried a deep water start on a slalom ski. Still above ground! 21 years since my Stem Cell Transplant. I'm just happy to be alive at this point...
Yes Joe,it's me from the old ROP which I no longer frequent. I'm doing very well,got a prosthesis and getting around great. I am very glad to hear you're doing better and I know what it's like to have health issues. Thanks for the thoughts.

Mike Richards
Old February 2nd, 2021 | 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Yes Joe,it's me from the old ROP which I no longer frequent. I'm doing very well,got a prosthesis and getting around great. I am very glad to hear you're doing better and I know what it's like to have health issues. Thanks for the thoughts.

Mike Richards
Man Mike I am sorry you had health issues . I am glad to hear you are getting around. Joe stay off those snow ski's remember Bono ! Take care of yourself #1 guys.
Old February 2nd, 2021 | 08:06 AM

Heads / heads we need these new Edelbrock heads.
Old February 2nd, 2021 | 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Man Mike I am sorry you had health issues . I am glad to hear you are getting around. Joe stay off those snow ski's remember Bono ! Take care of yourself #1 guys.
Thanks Neely,hope you're doing well.

Mike
Old February 7th, 2021 | 10:11 AM

Congrats mark !!
Old February 7th, 2021 | 07:04 PM

so when do the new heads officially come out??
Old February 8th, 2021 | 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by pettrix
So when do the new heads officially come out??
May-June for the big block version, small block version should be shortly thereafter.
Old February 10th, 2021 | 10:05 AM

May-June for the big block version, small block version should be shortly thereafter.
Summit claims online March release?
Old February 10th, 2021 | 10:29 AM

Summit claims online March release?
Summit and Jegs will both take your money, but they have no idea when they will actually be available.

I was told by Edelbrock over a month ago first April, then May for starting production.

I wonder if Edelbrock is just gauging interest at this point?

Pat
Old February 10th, 2021 | 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by fasteddy
I wonder if Edelbrock is just gauging interest at this point?

Pat
Nope, they’re a done deal. Remember 3 years in the making. I’m confident they’re coming.
Old February 11th, 2021 | 01:15 AM

Nope, they’re a done deal. Remember 3 years in the making. I’m confident they’re coming.

Well fall of 2021 is a long time away.
Maybe by winter they will have the small block castings done.

Old February 11th, 2021 | 04:42 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The World isn't exactly in a normal place, be thankful Edelbrock didn't cancel these all together. They could have paid Mark for his time and told him we are exploring other options at this time. They didn't, let's cross our fingers the vaccine works, life gets back to normal and these get made in a timely manner.
Old February 11th, 2021 | 04:54 AM

The World isn't exactly in a normal place, be thankful Edelbrock didn't cancel these all together. They could have paid Mark for his time and told him we are exploring other options at this time. They didn't, let's cross our fingers the vaccine works, life gets back to normal and these get made in a timely manner.
^^^^^^ I couldn’t have said it better myself.
Old February 11th, 2021 | 10:56 AM

Will you be able to shave down the new 350 heads?
Old February 11th, 2021 | 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 72GrnCS
Will you be able to shave down the new 350 heads?
Yep, decks are .600 thick.
Old February 12th, 2021 | 02:37 AM

I am going to assume, they are not still in the stone age. and anything they design or re design is done on a computer.
Most people that did some or all their work on a computer still worked in 2020 at home on a computer.
I know ,right!
I am hoping it happens sooner than later and there are no issues with the first batch of casting.
Maybe it is just me, But I would have thought ,the parts already in production that the big box speed parts vendors have tons of on the shelf/pallet could wait, and any new item would be put on the hot burner.
The foundries must be pouring much more than just parts for Edelbrook, If I would have to guess, the speed parts get done when and if there is a down time. If that is in fact the case, with cali lock downs much of the 2020, it might be a much longer wait, As I would think the foundry is backed up with work that goes to the front of the line while the speed brand gets pushed back.
If they are 6-8 months of behind in work orders at the foundry , I don't see it till winter if then.
I get it ,They "think" the big block heads will sell far better than the small block ones, so they are going to do those first, Problem there is the cars that 10 years ago might have landed on, are now worth a lot more now. Go price a 79-81 Pontiac t/a with a 403.
I don't see many hot rodding those now that they are worth some real coin. I could be wrong but I think that ship sailed .
Anyways before I write a book.
Old February 12th, 2021 | 05:52 AM

You’re wrong on a lot of fronts. But what really amazes me is how this has gone so negative, simply amazing.
Beingin CA they were shut down for awhile. Add to that they’re moving people and facilities halfway across the country. And the big block version came out first because it was more like the original, 77cc chamber and so on.
You guys can think what you want but I can tell you this with confidence, if these don’t sell, don’t bitch, cuz the chance of us getting anywhere close to this in the future will be gone.
Note 403 TA’s were made from 77-79, not 79-81.
Thanks.

Last edited by cutlassefi; February 12th, 2021 at 05:56 AM.
Old February 12th, 2021 | 08:20 AM

You’re wrong on a lot of fronts. But what really amazes me is how this has gone so negative, simply amazing.
Beingin CA they were shut down for awhile. Add to that they’re moving people and facilities halfway across the country. And the big block version came out first because it was more like the original, 77cc chamber and so on.
You guys can think what you want but I can tell you this with confidence, if these don’t sell, don’t bitch, cuz the chance of us getting anywhere close to this in the future will be gone.
Note 403 TA’s were made from 77-79, not 79-81.
Thanks.
My point is the 403 powered t/a's are pulling big money. A lot of owners that ten years ago when they did not bring this type cash would have no problem mod'n them. Now many will pause. You can call it whatever you want. Reality is that those cars now pull big money. and the closer to stock they are, the more they pull. There are tons of vehicles with Olds 350's, 307's. that are not in that gaining in value like the late 2nd gen ta is. Those are the vehicle owners that will be more likely to not worry about harming the value by putting non stock parts on their vehicle. Sorry , this is the reality of this hobby. When a vehicle starts drawing more money, the owners are less likely to do anything that affect that, Most of them don't drive them hard now with the 200 ish hp .
AGAIN I hope they sell every one they cast. I just think that most of the big block guys that were going to put alum heads on already did. I don't see the guy with a 403 full sized car or 455 full sized powered car putting aftermarket heads on their vehicle. The mid sized cars with a 455 before '72 are moving up in value and the pony cars are fast.
The guy with a '70 cutlass that was a350 2 barrel car, is more likely to hop it up as the value of keeping it bone stock is not there.
Same with the '73 and up guys with a olds 350 or later 307.
My fear is the big block heads don't do that well out the gate, as the vehicle worth is growing at a pace that leaving it stock makes more sense ,than building up the car to make it faster but killing it's value. Stopping the small block heads before they even get poured.
I have not put alum heads on my olds because of the issues with doing so on a small block. THe news of a small block designed head was welcome news. BUT. the hobby being what it is and most folks worrying about resale value and watching what is happening to select vehicles that are powered by the bbo. I think I would have done the head for the group that has not had anything first.
No one looking for more power is dropping a windowed mains 403 in , I had one, and I sold it. I had a t/a with it and had to put 2 in it because it was not designed for tons of power, Admittedly I killed them with a shot in the arm. I will build the 350.
I am not Edelbrook, but I would have gone after the market that doesn't have anything , over hoping those that already put Edelbrook alum heads on are willing to upgrade from what they have. It will need to make a big enough difference in power to swap the earlier set for a re engineered set. I don't see many driven hard anymore, at least around me. They mostly cruise in them. So that extra power might be a hard sell. Last fall I took a friends car out for a drive with him, the secondaries would not open, he has had the car for 5 years. What was the problem. lack of use, he never drove it hard enough for them to open. So unless he needs the bench racing bragging rights of telling others that his 403 powered t/a has Edelbrook alum heads, It is moot. As he doesn't use the power it has now. Most now are cruised around , not beat on. Most that do get breathed on, seem to drop a LS under hood.
This is what I see, take it for what it is worth. I am not trying to be a Debbie downer. but reality is ,what it is.
Sadly fact is Edelbrook would sell more cast alum oldsmobile script chevy ls valve covers than olds heads. Step out side the all olds shows and more and more are dropping in that engine over rebuilding the olds. I want to avoid that, and an alum head with a fast burn chamber that does not block the fuel pump being mounted is just the ticket. But again if the bbo sets don't sell, they might not bother with the sbo . I hope I am 100% wrong.
Maybe they will offer the bbo heads that are cnc'd to the raised port set up. and a matching intake.
If they are hoping the buyer is going to buy the heads, then spend 2000 and up on having a head guy do it, then have to build an intake to match. That is a tiny group, that will go that far.

Last edited by Grayghost; February 12th, 2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old February 12th, 2021 | 08:42 AM

Boy we all oughta be glad you weren't in charge of this project. What a Debbie downer you are.
Personally I think you’re wrong about most of the points in your post. For example, I have a very good friend that had a 78 TA with a 455 Olds in it. He bought it for 9k with the 455. Painted it and sold it overseas for 33k.
Please do us a favor and save the doom and gloom for another thread. We have enough of that already.
Old February 12th, 2021 | 08:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

I have no personal insight into the reality here, but as an outside observer, it's painfully obvious that the same people who were convinced that E-brock's headquarters move was a sure sign that they were closing shop and moving everything to China are the ones also convinced here that these heads are a hoax and will never be built.

OH.

MY.

GAWD.

Clearly Eeyore is your spirit animal.

Old February 12th, 2021 | 08:49 AM
Gary

The foundries must be pouring much more than just parts for Edelbrook (sic), If I would have to guess, the speed parts get done when and if there is a down time.
The foundry is owned and operated by Edelbrock. Yes, they do pour parts for other companies, but they are in charge of schedule and they can keep the published time line for their heads.

My fear is the big block heads don't do that well out the gate, as the vehicle worth is growing at a pace that leaving it stock makes more sense ,than building up the car to make it faster but killing it's (sic) value.
That is possible; however, look at the example of the C2 Corvette. Those cars are iconic. The owners are famously obsessed with minutia. They generally sell for higher prices than Cuttlii. In spite of that, there have been many updated and restomodded examples coming across the auction stages at very high prices... prices similar to unmodified examples. I see a growing trend toward making older cars more powerful, better handling, and more comfortable--more modern. The Edelbrock heads for Olds fit into that trend.

Last edited by VC455; February 12th, 2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old February 12th, 2021 | 09:57 AM

Boy we all oughta be glad you weren't in charge of this project. What a Debbie downer you are.
Personally I think you’re wrong about most of the points in your post. For example, I have a very good friend that had a 78 TA with a 455 Olds in it. He bought it for 9k with the 455. Painted it and sold it overseas for 33k.
Please do us a favor and save the doom and gloom for another thread. We have enough of that already.
A few facts for you.
I already have the funds put aside for,
new pistons and engine short block rebuild,
new heads and intake.
Maybe I am the only guy looking forward of these sbo heads coming to market.
Who knows, I do know, that you seem to take issue with those that want them available. but have seen this movie before.
only to wait and wait and wait.
The lack of any info on their web site is odd.
I was flat out told they have no plans on an intake with injector bungs for the sbo. Again with them having a multi port efi system, that seems again odd. 2019 at trade shows they flat out stated no plans on heads for a sbo as there was not enough of a demand.
This seems odd, if the time line you posted in this thread is correct, they already be on the drawing board.

Last edited by Grayghost; February 12th, 2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old February 12th, 2021 | 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I have no personal insight into the reality here, but as an outside observer, it's painfully obvious that the same people who were convinced that E-brock's headquarters move was a sure sign that they were closing shop and moving everything to China are the ones also convinced here that these heads are a hoax and will never be built.

OH.

MY.

GAWD.

Clearly Eeyore is your spirit animal.

I lol’d at that.....

personally, I don’t have a spirit animal, but I do have a support animal.

A Chicken.

Yes, A Chicken.

a four-piece meal, extra crispy with a biscuit......
Old February 12th, 2021 | 11:08 AM

As a saying I heard, "Some Olds guys have big fu%*%*$ mouths, but small fu&*#^& wallets"

We should celebrate anytime a company wants to produce something for a shutdown and slowly dissipating car make like Oldsmobile. Instead, some people just bitch and moan.

Purists, like Oldsmobile cars, are slowly going away as the years pass. The younger generation wants more power, better components, etc. and aftermarket companies like Edelbrock are the ones producing it. Take joy in that. If our hobby is to survive, it requires the younger generation to take over, and for aftermarket companies to produce parts for the cars.

Last edited by pettrix; February 12th, 2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old February 12th, 2021 | 11:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

As a saying I heard, "Some Olds guys have big fu%*%*$ mouths, but small fu&*#^& wallets"
I'm pretty sure that applies to most participants in Internet automotive forums.
Old February 12th, 2021 | 11:32 AM

Holy smokes

My grandmother always said if you ain’t got nothing good to say....... some people with their comments here need to take that advice! What’s the point with all the negativity and doubt? If you don’t believe it’s happening then move on! If you have everything ready for a rebuild well then hurry up and wait on the new castings or go have some built there are other options vs bitching about a manufacturers timeline want something faster go have it built there is that option you know! As far as me, thank you Mark for bringing another product to the market for our oldsmobiles, anybody else here bitching doing that?nope they’re not that’s right! Whenever these do come available i hope I can get a set I’d like both a small block set and a big block set I don’t even have a big block but want to build one in the future, there are still a lot of Oldsmobile’s out there and people who don’t want to do an ls swap! I hope they sell like hotcakes and hope they’re available when I’m ready. If not I hope it was because such high demand!
Old February 12th, 2021 | 01:19 PM

Wow, there is a lot going on here on this thread.

My two cents...

The new Edelbrock SBO heads are made for customers like me, a guy that wants bolt-on performance without breaking the bank. When it comes time to rebuild by 68 350 that came from the factory with 9:1 compression and #5 heads, I want to try to do as much as I can myself to keep costs down, but I intend to leave the heads to an expert. Every expert I talked to in DFW has suggested that it would cost more to rework the heads (clean and CC the bowls, increase the valve size, new valves and springs, light port work) than it would cost to buy Edelbrock heads.

These new heads look like they would be perfect right out of the box for a flat-top piston rebuild to achieve around 9.5 to 1 compression (unlike the 77CC current version), and when paired with a nice roller cam and Performer RPM intake should make a great street engine, again while not costing a fortune.

Great work, Mark! I am excited to see how these perform once they are available.
Old February 12th, 2021 | 01:26 PM

Myself I couldn’t be happier the news of the new sb heads that are coming. I was considering a 455 build for obvious reasons. With my th200r4 trans and a 10 bolt that I have now. I am now looking forward to rebuilding to a heathy rocket. Rather Than having all that awesome BB torque, tarring up my current drivetrain. For the first time in 50+ years we have the opportunity of the great flowing aluminum heads. Along with the compression issue getting fixed. I can’t wait to see how some of the 350 rockets are going to build out.

Last edited by 72GrnCS; February 13th, 2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old February 12th, 2021 | 01:45 PM

A few facts for you.
I already have the funds put aside for,
new pistons and engine short block rebuild,
new heads and intake.
Maybe I am the only guy looking forward of these sbo heads coming to market.
Who knows, I do know, that you seem to take issue with those that want them available. but have seen this movie before.
only to wait and wait and wait.
The lack of any info on their web site is odd.
I was flat out told they have no plans on an intake with injector bungs for the sbo. Again with them having a multi port efi system, that seems again odd. 2019 at trade shows they flat out stated no plans on heads for a sbo as there was not enough of a demand.
This seems odd, if the time line you posted in this thread is correct, they already be on the drawing board.
Let me further clarify a few things. I can promise you there were more than a few at Edelbrock that had no idea these were in the works.
Next, different depts don’t always talk to each other as they should.
And lastly, I’m glad you’re planning on buying them. But your comments suggested otherwise. Please tell us what MAJOR company promised something and didn’t deliver. I’m not talking Brad Wise here, or Terry Fritsch. I’m talking a major company that didn’t deliver on a promise for a new product. Well?
I’m going to blow my own horn here. I approached them with the notion that they had nothing to sell to the 125,000+ 403 TA owners when it came to top end packages. That got their attention. They thought a 403 was a big block. It’s about approach and education. So even if a fraction buy these heads, that’s thousands more than they would’ve sold before.
And maybe, just maybe if these go well it’ll spark further part changes, ie EFI ready manifolds. However you gotta start somewhere.
Man I never thought I’d have to defend a project like this, Christ almighty.

Last edited by cutlassefi; February 12th, 2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old February 12th, 2021 | 02:25 PM
Gary

...maybe if these go well it’ll spark..EFI ready manifolds.
You mean like that pretty E'brock you made for me?

Quick Reply: New Edelbrock Heads