Looking for reasonably priced headers...

Old July 30th, 2018, 07:12 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 902
Looking for reasonably priced headers...

One of the things I intend to do in the not-too-distant future is install a new exhaust system on my 72 Cutlass Supreme. For those that don't know, it's equipped with a 455. It has a set of Hooker headers and what I believe is a Flowmaster exhaust system but the previous owner(s) used the typical tape and goop to patch leaks and cracks as they came along. So I'm looking for a reasonably priced set of headers that will hold up to the demands of the 455. I prefer ceramic coated but I realize they're probably out of my
reach pricewise. I'd like to get away with spending around 700 bucks from the whole system (I think it's t 2-1/2 inch) .

So does anyone have e a lead?
Thanks,
Dave
72455 is online now  
Old July 30th, 2018, 08:05 PM
  #2  
Full-time Taxpayer
 
Qwik71442's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 350
Originally Posted by 72455 View Post
One of the things I intend to do in the not-too-distant future is install a new exhaust system on my 72 Cutlass Supreme. For those that don't know, it's equipped with a 455. It has a set of Hooker headers and what I believe is a Flowmaster exhaust system but the previous owner(s) used the typical tape and goop to patch leaks and cracks as they came along. So I'm looking for a reasonably priced set of headers that will hold up to the demands of the 455. I prefer ceramic coated but I realize they're probably out of my
reach pricewise. I'd like to get away with spending around 700 bucks from the whole system (I think it's t 2-1/2 inch) .

So does anyone have e a lead?
Thanks,
Dave
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Long-Tube-S...-/183348543250
Qwik71442 is offline  
Old August 7th, 2018, 03:10 PM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 902
Thanks for the link. Apparently from doing some research it would appear that the frame rails are narrowwer on a Supreme than a regular Cutlass. If that's the case, I'll have to make some modifications, which I don't wanna do. Help!

Dave😀
72455 is online now  
Old August 7th, 2018, 03:17 PM
  #4  
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Poteau, Ok
Posts: 32,312
No they aren't, its misinformation that's been on there for decades. The frames are the same. I've never heard of those headers, I would recommend Heddman or Hooker for tried and true long tubes.
oldcutlass is online now  
Old August 7th, 2018, 03:39 PM
  #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 902
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
No they aren't, its misinformation that's been on there for decades. The frames are the same. I've never heard of those headers, I would recommend Heddman or Hooker for tried and true long tubes.
Whew! That's a relief😀

I'm new to the world of buying headers and I understand tube length and the like. What I need help with is deciding tube diameter and what is going to give me the best performance advantage. I have a Holley 670 Street Avenger and I know the engine has been worked, but what's been done I don't know. Or do I just "pick one" and hope for the best?
72455 is online now  
Old August 7th, 2018, 04:58 PM
  #6  
Registered User
 
OLDSter Ralph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: St. Paul Minnesota
Posts: 1,175
You will not have any choice in tube length. 1 7/8" should work. You'll get the benefits. I preferred Hookers "back in the day". There may be other good brands. Don't over think this.
..........Just my two cents worth
OLDSter Ralph is online now  
Old August 7th, 2018, 05:02 PM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 902
Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph View Post
You will not have any choice in tube length. 1 7/8" should work. You'll get the benefits. I preferred Hookers "back in the day". There may be other good brands. Don't over think this.
..........Just my two cents worth
Lol... don't wanna overthink it...just don't wanna go too cheap😀
72455 is online now  
Old August 7th, 2018, 06:45 PM
  #8  
71 & 72,now I want a 68
 
w-30dreamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 1,753
I know a guy that has been running those Black Horse headers on his 455 powered street Cutlass for a couple years now and he is very happy with the product and price.
w-30dreamin is offline  
Old August 8th, 2018, 04:51 AM
  #9  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Braceville, Ohio
Posts: 1,541
If you purchase these, please let us know how they fit. They "claim" they'll fit 1965-1974 Delta also. From my experience, no aftermarket headers will fit a 1965/1970 Delta without major "surgery." A-body/Cutlass should be perfected perfectly after all these decades, one would think. Jmo.
Kennybill is offline  
Old August 8th, 2018, 05:21 AM
  #10  
Moderator
 
oldcutlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Poteau, Ok
Posts: 32,312
I doubt they fit 65-67 Abody with an SBO
oldcutlass is online now  
Old August 8th, 2018, 06:07 AM
  #11  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Braceville, Ohio
Posts: 1,541
I haven't seen small block headers for a 1966/67 in a "few" decades.

these are suppose to fit the BB 1966/67. I'm considering getting a set.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1967...tlass-headers/
Kennybill is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2018, 05:53 AM
  #12  
Registered User
 
RocketV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mora, Sweden
Posts: 141
Originally Posted by Kennybill View Post
If you purchase these, please let us know how they fit. They "claim" they'll fit 1965-1974 Delta also. From my experience, no aftermarket headers will fit a 1965/1970 Delta without major "surgery." A-body/Cutlass should be perfected perfectly after all these decades, one would think. Jmo.
They look exactly like the eBay headers I have on my 65 Cutlass / 330. You have to make them fit - I wrote a review three years ago:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ss-review.html
RocketV8 is offline  
Old August 24th, 2018, 12:20 AM
  #13  
Registered User
 
rpinnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 195
cheap headers

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...5-headers.html

I bought them used just for the dyno pulls so my Hooker headers would not get discolored.
rpinnt is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
John (330 Jetfire)
Parts Wanted
5
April 27th, 2015 06:43 AM
droptopron
The Clubhouse
14
November 5th, 2011 10:16 PM
coltsneckbob
General Discussion
6
July 10th, 2011 09:10 PM
GOLD72OLDS
General Discussion
4
September 27th, 2007 11:40 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for reasonably priced headers...


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.