Let’s talk oil pans

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2023, 02:59 PM

Let’s talk oil pans

Hopefully in the next few weeks my son and I will be installing the engine in Project Olds-Camino. Since none of the machines at work want to run tonight, I’m letting my mind wonder.

The engine currently has a Toronado oil pan. I recall reading in Bill Travatos book the Toro pan really kills power, I assume because the pan hugs the crank or due to the sump to clear the FWD driveshaft.

I have an old Moroso 8 quart oil pan that I unfortunately smashed in the sump after carelessly positioning a floor jack under the car. I had that pan on the car almost 20 years, put the jack under the car countless times for maintenance or other needs, and never damaged the pan. Until a few years ago. I tried for 2 days to get that pan out with the engine installed, I finally gave up and pulled the engine. I straightened the pan, I think it could be repaired with a much better welder than myself.

The consequences of letting my mind wonder: I had a brainstorm. What if someone carefully cut the bottom of a factory pan, cut the sump (much closer to the top of the sump) out of another matching factory pan, and carefully welded the 2 together so the “customized” sump is now the same depth as a Toronado pan? That would theoretically give you the Toronado oil capacity, with the same power potential as the factory pan.

As I mentioned, my mind is wondering. Stock Toro pan? Fix the Moroso pan and buy the matching pump/pickup? Custom pan? Or find a newspaper to read until the electricians get the machines going?
Old December 1st, 2023, 05:19 PM
Duh

The Toro pan can kill some HP due to a volume of oil getting stuck in the front of the pan especially on a Dyno. Oil gets trapped due to the small clearance hump for the front drive shaft. If you remove this hump, problem solved. Picture is a Toro pan modified with a small piece of exhaust pipe. The engine it was used on was a 3.6 stroke small block with small block heads making close to 500 HP.

Old December 2nd, 2023, 04:44 AM

MAW use the Moroso pan since you removed the engine.
Old December 2nd, 2023, 06:41 AM

Get a Canton
Old December 2nd, 2023, 10:55 AM

I use a modified Toro pan with the hump removed, bigger sump, front and rear baffles in the sump.
Old December 16th, 2023, 08:00 AM

Are you aware of this pan?

https://www.thorntonmusclecars.com/p...e-plus-oil-pan
Old December 16th, 2023, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by shiftbyear
I am. And by the time you buy that with their pickup, you’re about 85% to a Canton, which is a waaaay better pan.
Old December 17th, 2023, 07:29 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Matt, going back to your first post, yes combining the two sumps to make it deeper is very doable. I would see how much deeper to make the sump so that it is no deeper than the bottom of the cross member. Alternatively, modifying a Toro pan to drain the forward portion as shown in post #2 and adding in a baffle similar to the factory big block pan works fine for the street and occasional drag race; or fix the Moroso pan!
Old December 17th, 2023, 02:30 PM
Duh

FYI. The Toro pan has no baffle over the sump as the baffle/shield is mounted directly to the engine.
Old December 17th, 2023, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by shiftbyear
I like the concept stock looking 1 1/4 quart more capacity, Mark said he had fitment issues with the one he had, so the question is are they all like that or was it a one off?
Old December 19th, 2023, 08:49 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Duh, FYI. The Toro pan has no baffle over the sump as the baffle/shield is mounted directly to the engine. That is exactly why I weld in a baffle in the forward part of the sump similar to that found in stock big block Olds oil pans when using on a non-Tornado motor!
Old December 19th, 2023, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
I like the concept stock looking 1 1/4 quart more capacity, Mark said he had fitment issues with the one he had, so the question is are they all like that or was it a one off?
What fitment issues would that be? I was considering ordering one.
Old December 19th, 2023, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by dragline
You will have to talk to Mark cutlassefi he is the one that said it took some finessing.
I personalty have no experience with the pan. I just think it is great for those looking for stock appearing 1.25 quarts is a nice addition to pan capacity. You might want to try Facebook for more feed back.
Old December 20th, 2023, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by dragline
I bought 3, 2 didn’t fit well at all. I had to put the bolts in one side, then pry the pan to get the bolt holes to line up on the other side.
i called Thornton and they offered to fix it “if it leaks later on”. So, I’m supposed to put in the car, then HOPE it doesn’t leak later on. I don’t think so.
They’re made in China (they admitted they’re made “overseas”) and kind of expensive for what you’re getting. Again, as mentioned just spend a few more bucks and get a Canton or similar. Waaaaaay better product, and made here.
Old December 22nd, 2023, 12:43 PM

Milodon stock pan?

I used a Milodon stock replacement pan 30765 it holds 5 qts in the pan and you have one more in the filter just like a toro 6 qts looks stock doesn’t hang down etc personally if you have had no issues with the Moroso go with the repaired item that said I’m not racing or anything just wanted a little more oil
Old December 22nd, 2023, 12:47 PM

Btw

Fit fine no issues whatsoever
Old January 2nd, 2024, 02:24 AM

Stock pan modified for extra Qt.

Old January 2nd, 2024, 04:30 AM

Modified 7qt Milodon 30305 to fit Halo without cutting caps.

Old January 2nd, 2024, 04:59 AM

Very nice work !!