455 Intake test, Performer vs RPM vs Victor

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2024, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fpcopo
You’ve got some good information and have made some interesting points in this thread. On the EFI thread, did it really help make your case to tell the guy he got screwed and should ask for his money back and his intake is scrap? Whether it is or not is not important. Why make him feel bad? What good does it do anybody? Anyhow, I would like to see a picture of the stock intake you posted from end on so you can actually see the angle the injector boss is bored.
uh, it’s actually very important,,that’s my whole point on this. going through all the trouble and expense to pay someone to convert an intake wrong, is bad to start with. if you’re gonna do it, do it right..you’re paying either way.

I didn’t make anyone feel bad..if they do, that’s on them. It’s words on a screen.

I’ll post the pics you want in the EFI thread
Old May 17th, 2024, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
Another thing that can fool EGT readings is cam overlap. A very narrow overlap can dump unburnt fuel out the ex valve and show a low EGT, even though the engine may make more power.
But it would do it for ALL cyls not just one or two.
Old May 17th, 2024, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
But they do show an imbalance in distribution, just like it says.
Ill try to grab a pic of the EGT’s on all three intakes.
And how are you doing finding proof that injection pointed at the valve is good for power? Good luck with that because you won’t find a thing.
Duttweiller said it..I posted that in the EFI thread.

the intercept angle is crucial…he says less than 45deg. These olds intakes are way more than that. Have you even measured them after you sent them out for someone else to convert them.

Old May 17th, 2024, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
But it would do it for ALL cyls not just one or two.
not really..unless you knew the afr before a cam swap that had a narrower lsa, and had the egt’s before and after..you would be guessing

a narrower lsa does screw around with the intake manifold reversion, which can affect the distribution per cylinder…it’s not a guaranteed even up or down on all EGT’s

Old May 21st, 2024, 06:34 AM

I get why you used the performer, performer RPM. What I don't get is using a victor in this test for obvious reasons it doesn't really work good till after the RPM above your test parameters . Thanks for posting Mark.
Old May 21st, 2024, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
I get why you used the performer, performer RPM. What I don't get is using a victor in this test for obvious reasons it doesn't really work good till after the RPM above your test parameters . Thanks for posting Mark.
Taking only the motor into consideration, not the TQ converter or gears in the vehicle, this engine should have done very well with the Victor if the AFR was right….but it wasn’t.

you’re basing your opinion on bogus data. it’s there for you to see. would you install any intake on your own vehicle and not tune it for best AFR/power?

Old May 21st, 2024, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
Taking only the motor into consideration, not the TQ converter or gears in the vehicle, this engine should have done very well with the Victor if the AFR was right….but it wasn’t.

you’re basing your opinion on bogus data. it’s there for you to see. would you install any intake on your own vehicle and not tune it for best AFR/power?
Short answer! No 🤣 I have to go talk to my shrink now because I am crazy for even answering you! Medic where's my meds!🤣🤣
Old May 21st, 2024, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Short answer! No 🤣 I have to go talk to my shrink now because I am crazy for even answering you! Medic where's my meds!🤣🤣
I’m proud of you.
Old May 21st, 2024, 08:28 PM

Mark and OP,
Many thanks for A/B data. Great stuff! We’ve all wanted to run these tests to confirm which parts are best for our application(s), but few of us have the time, equipment, training & resources to do it.

Our detractor may have a point, but you did the work. Like the difference between the movie director and the movie critic: one puts their stuff out there, one critiques. Ocean of difference.

I run Edelbrock Performer manifolds on my street-driven big Oldses. They rarely see any use above 4,000 RPM. Not a criticism, but as a street driver, I’m much more interested in 750-3,000 RPM, than say, 4000 and above. The way I use my old cars, a Performer has been right on target and lighter than what Olds built.

Again, not criticism, but I suspect it takes engines running hard above 3,000 RPM until you see big differences in combinations, or in this case, manifolds. So you’re right to focus on the upper RPM range.

For anyone watching, if you can’t sleep and get MotorTrend TV, check out Engine Masters for similar kinds of controlled A/B testing. Illuminating at least in direction if not perfect on testing every time.

I was in an analytical role for many decades, there’s always a critic. They’re often correct, or near-target with criticism. But it’s crazy rare when they’ve done the work as well. Anyone doing these kinds of tests uses benchmarks, explicitly declares them, as well as assumptions and lets the data show. When I see that, I trust. So thanks.

Chris