Wanted: Socket and bulbs for 72 Cutlass convt step courtesy light

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2016, 07:51 AM

Wanted: Socket and bulbs for 72 Cutlass convt step courtesy light

All,

Looking for replacement bulbs and a socket for a step courtesy light on my 72 Cutlass Supreme. Issue is the Chinese-made replacements have a lip where the metal meets the bulb that blocks the bulb from being twisted to lock into place. Looking for the older-style bulbs without that lip and a replacement socket if that turns out to be the real issue.

Thanks,

Jim
Old September 3rd, 2016, 11:24 AM

I have all that stuff but will be out of town for a day or two & can't get pix till I get back. If someone has it before me, feel free.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 01:50 PM

Scott,

It can wait. One of those small jobs that aren't critical but annoy you until you get it fixed. Might as well throw in the latest discovery -- one of the backup lights, the one on the passenger side, has a rusty socket/assembly -- bulb is frozen in place, as is the top lens screw. Looks like water got in through the cracked lens and rusted the assembly. I'm assuming the smart thing is to replace the whole unit -- already have the replacement lens and gasket. Update on set screws -- got them, many thanks. And the *****. Am having to improvise a bit since nobody has hex wrenches small enough to drive the set screws. I'm going to try a small screw driver from a repair kit for eyeglasses. If that fails, I'll have to try an electronics store, I guess.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 03:35 PM

I'll put those parts on the list also. It is 1/16" Allen wrench. Any local parts store or harbour freight( Shipwreck tools) should have them for cheap.