Wanted....P/S, ALT brackets, and pulleys

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2011, 02:10 PM

Wanted....P/S, ALT brackets, and pulleys

Ok guys, no P/S is BS. I thought it was cool to start with, but it just sucks. The last straw was when my buddy hands me the keys to his 67 Chevelle and tells me to take it for a spin. Wow, what a difference in feel and comfort level & ability in tight parking lots.

What I need is...... well everything for my 455.

What I have now is a Mondello alternator bracket set-up (AB-499) with the 2 groove water pump and crank aluminum pulleys (2250-5089). I do not have the alternator pulley. I replaced it with a deeper groove smaller diameter pulley that allows for better charging at closer to idle speeds. If you have the parts that I need and you are interested in these parts, let me know.

What I want is restorable pieces that will look nice when blasted and painted. I will need all of the brackets, bolts, spacers, and pulleys. If it makes a difference I would like non A/C pulleys. I don't like the look of extra unused pulley grooves.

Also lead me in the right direction for a replacement P/S box. My manual box was sent out and overhauled if anyone has an interest in it.

Thanks guys
2011-11-13143742.jpg
2011-11-13143656.jpg
Old November 13th, 2011, 02:38 PM

I've got everything you need, but I'm out in Oregon. Shipping would add quite a bit to the price. I know there's a member in Florida with lots of spare parts, I'm drawing a blank on his name though. You might surf the parts wanted section as he's replied to several request in the last few weeks. Eightupman hasn't posted much lately, but he's in your state or the one just to your south!

Then not as close but you might try jensenracing77 and oldspackrat. J-(Chicago) has parts too, but I'm not sure he'd have the complete setup.

I've got a couple project cars with manual steering, including a 1965 442. I don't have popeye forarms and have been thinking about which way to go myself. All original or add the comforts for a daily driver. That plus power disc brakes are kinda nice to have.
Old November 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM

I think I may have just found someone local, but if he falls through if you have EVERYTHING, like the spacers, bolts, alt brackets, pulleys, it would probably end up costing less to ship it together than to pay shipping from several different members all over the US. If you think you do we can get on the phone and go over it all. Thanks man, I'll let you know.

I think one factor that adds to the lack of fun w/o P/S is the locker in the rear end. Tight parking lots suck lol.

Last edited by Bill in NC; November 13th, 2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old November 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Send a PM to F-85 He should have the whole shebang.
I only have the power steering pump, pulley, and PS brackets from a 67'.
Old November 13th, 2011, 05:04 PM
L69

i got all 70-72 stuff I am in ct
Old November 13th, 2011, 07:17 PM

I have everything,and I would be interested in your manual box.
Old November 16th, 2011, 05:45 PM

Guys, thank you for the responses so far. I am trying to figure out which style I can use right now to make sure I get the right style set-up. I thought this would be a little easier lol
Apparently it's a little tight on a 65 near the steering box when using the 68'+ pump bracket set-up???
Water pump shaft lengths??
Braces that run to the intake??
Old November 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM

What is the length of the snout on the water pump,from the gasket surface to the pulley flange? You can use the AC style alternator brackets that mount on the driver's side,or the non-AC brackets that mount on the passenger side.The 68-72 style power steering assemblies can have a single-groove or 2-groove pulley.
It looks like you have the Mondello alternator bracket on there now.I was able to mount that bracket on the passenger side,by drilling one different hole in the bracket.I will try posting some pictures.All you should need is the power steering box,and the power steering pump,which I have,if you can't find down there.It also looks like you have the long-snout water pump,like the AC/heavy-duty cool applications.Same one I run,and I also have those aluminum pulleys.
Old November 16th, 2011, 07:22 PM

That is great info Brian! Changing the Mondello Alt brackets to the passenger side sounds good. Do you know if the 68-72 style P/S pump and brackets will clear the steering box (64-67 chassis) and would the single groove pulley line up with the first groove on the Mondello pulleys?

Alot of questions I know.....but I'm learning

Thanks for the help.
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:26 AM

Yes,the power steering pump assembly will clear the earlier chassis,and the single-groove pulley should line up with one of the grooves on the water pump & crank.The alternator will take the other.I have the alternator up against the cylinder head,about the thickness of a nickel,for a gap.With the power steering,you might need to do one of 2 things.Either space the alternator farther out,to take the outer groove,or get a 2-groove power steering pulley,and use the outer groove on that,with the outer water & crank grooves.If I remember correctly,the single-groove power steering pump pulley uses the most inboard set of grooves.Regardless,it can be done.I've done it before with other cars.

alternatorbrackets001-1.jpg

alternatorbrackets005-1.jpg

alternatorbrackets006-1.jpg

alternatorbrackets009.jpg

Last edited by 507OLDS; November 17th, 2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old November 20th, 2011, 05:53 PM

Picked up some parts today guys. Thank you all for the help and offers!
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:06 AM

I am in Chatham Co, NC and have a 65 parts car + a 455 or 2 with every bracket still on them + the 65 has the PS pump you need.
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:15 PM

Question

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Send a PM to F-85 He should have the whole shebang.
I only have the power steering pump, pulley, and PS brackets from a 67'.
Hey J-(Chicago),
I'm interested in your power steering pump...actually only need the pulley, part # stamped on front, either 384678 JM or 391061 JP will work. Does your pulley have either of these numbers? If so and still available, let's talk price? Know I'm responding to an old post, but please let me know either way when you get a chance...appreciate any help.