Timing tab/pointer for 72 350

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2010, 06:27 AM

Timing tab/pointer for 72 350

I'm in the process of rebuilding the 350 in my 72 cutlass. I'm at the point now of cleaning and painting all the bolt on pieces and have decided that my timing tab/pointer is just to pitted and crappy looking to go back on my motor. Even with paint it still looks like crap. Also, my timing chain cover looks pretty pitted and I'm concerned that it wont seal properly to the water pump etc. I reaching out to the group to see if anyone has a timing tab and or a timing chain cover that's in decent shape that I could purchase. Far (very far) from a show car but still taking some pride in making it look nice . If you can help me out please PM me or just reply through the thread.

On a different note I met a guy last fall who has an original OAI hood, and air cleaner assembly and I think the other parts that would go with it for a 71/72 cutlass (I know it would fit my 72 but not sure what years that would cross to) stored in his shed. I know he's willing to sell it but not sure how much.
He has a ton of Olds parts.
He also had a complete 71/72 black interior with new upohlstry on the bucket seats. He had the dash, center console (AT) seats, door panels, steering column and the 4 spoke wheel! Not sure if he still has it (saw it last fall) but would be happy to stop by his place if anyone is interested in either the hood or the interior and see if they are still available. My recollection is that he wanted to sell both the hood and air cleaner assembly together and the entire interior together. Let me know and I'll try to get some pictures and prices.

Thanks

Mike
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:21 AM

i'll take a look...

Mike I'll take a look, I may have an extra one, got to see what shape it's in.
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:23 AM

Btw

it'll be from a 69 motor I believe they are the same
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:01 AM

Thanks Eddie

I appreciate you taking the time to look.

Mike
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM

I suggest painting the timing tab black, detailing the timing marks with white paint, and putting a white mark on the harmonic balancer. I did this on my 455 and it is much easier to see under the timing light. I guess it isn't original but it should have been done that way.
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:01 AM

Olds64,

I did paint the timing tab black and it's so pitted and rotted that it still looks like crap. Timing marks are long gone! I did do what you suggested by painting the timing mark on the balancer white. Was always using a piece of chalk and figured I might as well make it permanent. I even went as far to paint the balancer black. Figured it would be easier to see the white mark on the black vs. the shinny gold.
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM

That is a bummer that the original timing tab is so far gone. Good luck finding another one. At least it shouldn't be too expensive for such a small part. If you can't find an OE one then maybe you could buy a chrome one from Summit or Jegs. I imagine Mr. Gasket makes one.
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM

They all seem to be for the "other gm" cars
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:51 PM

no problem mike...

I'll no in a little bit, once I do my honey do's and get into the shop, they are available new though, this is from pace for about 10 bucks, albeit it is plastic? that is original? mine are metal.( like the pic at the bottom )
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=185995

this one is metal from the parts place 18 bucks
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:08 PM

The metal one looks like it, I wasn't able to find them. I saw the plastic one but wanted to stick with metal. But the plastic one would reduce my front end weight by .5 oz., that might just be the performance gain I need! Well I guess the metal one would work fine. Now I just need to find a timing cover tha's not all pitted.

Thanks for the lead on the timing tab.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:07 AM

still looking...

Mike I am still looking, looked through the garage last night didn't find it, couple more places to check.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:44 AM

thanks for touching base. I can buy the timing tab you found for me online. I guess I would still be looking for a decent timing cover. Don't knock yourself out looking for it, if your like me it could be anywhere! I have one other resource, I found one online last night for $69 http://dickmillerracing.com/store/page19.html . I was hoping to spend a little less than that but if you were planing on asking around that price I can go with the new one, but again if you have one and would like the cash I would be happy to get it from you. Rather send the money to an Olds brother !

Let me know what you would like to do.

thanks,

Mike
Old April 23rd, 2010, 05:47 AM

Mike I know I didn't have an extra timing cover and couldn't find the pointer??? sorry man. I did try