Looking For a Working POA Valve For 70 442

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2022, 06:23 AM

Looking For a Working POA Valve For 70 442

My POA Valve for my 70 442 is stuck wide open so the system does not cool properly (barely) I have tried one of the POA replacement tubes that change the system to a cycling clutch style but with the old "A6" compressor it really screws up drive-ability (surges) every time the clutch cycles . I have seen some "You Tube" videos of them being rebuilt or the other options are finding a verified working used one or rebuilding mine which looks simple enough other than I don't own a "TIG" welder and I don't know if soldering it back together will work. As always any input is appreciated.
Old July 8th, 2022, 06:30 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

Check Classic Auto Air https://www.classicautoair.com/

they may have what you need or can rebuild yours
Old July 8th, 2022, 06:40 AM

Thanks, I have. Roughly $300 to rebuild and I may end up going that route, just looking at options since I feel like I wasted money on the POA eliminator piece.
Old July 8th, 2022, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by sanded1
My POA Valve for my 70 442 is stuck wide open so the system does not cool properly (barely) I have tried one of the POA replacement tubes that change the system to a cycling clutch style but with the old "A6" compressor it really screws up drive-ability (surges) every time the clutch cycles . I have seen some "You Tube" videos of them being rebuilt or the other options are finding a verified working used one or rebuilding mine which looks simple enough other than I don't own a "TIG" welder and I don't know if soldering it back together will work. As always any input is appreciated.
They tig weld the POA valve body sections together after rebuild. I just removed my working POA valve, I’m replacing it with a billet POA valve, it converts ac system to cycling, but I’ve ran the Pro6Ten compressor for years, so no issues with cycling.
Old July 8th, 2022, 08:17 AM

I have an original POA valve from a '70 442 that was converted (for use w/134A)/rebuilt by Classic Auto Air in 2018. It was installed on the car and the system was charged, etc but there were other problems w/the system so the valve was immediately removed, put in a box and stored inside a house.

The finish on it isn't perfect....I think they take them apart and plate them w/zinc plating and it has some imperfections in the finish. It's NOT pitted, etc.

Maybe you could send this over to Classic Auto Air for testing/inspection or see what they say about checking it out to make sure everything's fine w/it.

I have the original receipt from them for the work. The cost back then was 246.99 (rebuild/conversion + R134A adapter). Let me know if you're converting to R134A or not.

I'll send you a PM w/price. A couple pics below.

Old July 9th, 2022, 12:30 PM
CutOvers Olds Parts Guys