Looking for 1970 Missouri license plates

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2010, 10:28 AM

Looking for 1970 Missouri license plates

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about putting some historical license plates on my car and wanted to reach out to this network. I've already set up an automatic search on eBay.

Anyone have a lead or willing to sell: 1970 Missouri license plate(s)? Minimal rust is a requirement, and i'd prefer a pair but might settle for a single plate. They are white with black trim and lettering. see example

Thanks
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:33 AM

I got mine from this place nice people.

http://www.classicdreamcars.com/licenseplates.html

Good luck
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
I got mine from this place nice people.

http://www.classicdreamcars.com/licenseplates.html

Good luck
Thanks for lead. I called and unfortunately they only have a few out of state plates on hand and Missouri wasn't one of them. If I lived in Florida that outfit is the place to check out. Thanks again.
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM

try ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1970-Mis...efaultDomain_0
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:56 PM

That license plate you show a photo of is for sale on ebay right now, and the guy wants $50 for it!!! He's nuts! It's not in that good a shape, and there's only one.

There's another for sale on there right now for a more reasonable $10 for a single plate.

Here's some good photos of Missouri license plates since 1969.

http://www.15q.net/mo.html
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
There's another for sale on there right now for a more reasonable $10 for a single plate.

Here's some good photos of Missouri license plates since 1969.

http://www.15q.net/mo.html
That auction is on my watchlist, but the seller won't budge from the $6 shipping fee. I'm kinda ticked off as I could easily drive over and pick up in person. I also asked for media or 1st class shipping and I haven't heard back yet.
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by stlbluesbrother
That auction is on my watchlist, but the seller won't budge from the $6 shipping fee.
Unfortunate.

I also asked for media or 1st class shipping and I haven't heard back yet.
I think you're wasting your time on these. Anything above 12 ounces (3/4 of a pound) can't go 1st class and would have to go Priority Mail. I'm guessing a single license plate weighs more than 12 oz., and I'm certain a pair would.

I doubt you could send a license plate media mail, either. MM is limited to printed matter, CDs, and tapes. A piece of metal would probably not qualify.

You could try for Parcel Post, but the cost would probably be not much less than Priority, and PP can take a while while Priority gets it to you in a couple of days.

You might want to just suck it up and pay the $6.95 shipping. It's not THAT bad, and you'll enjoy having the plate.

Of course, you have to win the auction first, and there's already one bid on it. Who knows how high you'd have to go to actually win it (unless that's your bid).
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:10 PM

Unfortunate.

I think you're wasting your time on these. Anything above 12 ounces (3/4 of a pound) can't go 1st class and would have to go Priority Mail. I'm guessing a single license plate weighs more than 12 oz., and I'm certain a pair would.

I doubt you could send a license plate media mail, either. MM is limited to printed matter, CDs, and tapes. A piece of metal would probably not qualify.

You could try for Parcel Post, but the cost would probably be not much less than Priority, and PP can take a while while Priority gets it to you in a couple of days.

You might want to just suck it up and pay the $6.95 shipping. It's not THAT bad, and you'll enjoy having the plate.

Of course, you have to win the auction first, and there's already one bid on it. Who knows how high you'd have to go to actually win it (unless that's your bid).
That is not my bid and I won't be bidding as I had an ace up my sleeve. Due to the inflexibility of the eBay seller, I went ahead and purchased a license plate for the exact same date - AUG 1970 from chucksplates.com. Chuck was only asking $5.99 plus $4.00 shipping. And the plate has less rust. I would have preferred to buy locally, but in the end I'll have a nicer plate for less money, but have to wait about 4 days (no biggie).

Despite this purchase, I'd still be open for other 1970 Missouri license plates. I can put the extra(s) on the garage wall and save for another car
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM

I went ahead and purchased a license plate for the exact same date - AUG 1970 from chucksplates.com. Chuck was only asking $5.99 plus $4.00 shipping. And the plate has less rust.
Good deal.

I'd still be open for other 1970 Missouri license plates. I can put the extra(s) on the garage wall and save for another car
But this means your next car would have to be a '70. You should buy the car first, THEN buy the plate!
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:28 PM

But this means your next car would have to be a '70. You should buy the car first, THEN buy the plate!
1970 is my favorite year for automobiles. And I hope to own a burnished gold 1970 442 convertible someday
Old August 13th, 2010, 10:55 PM

1970 is my favorite year for automobiles. And I hope to own a burnished gold 1970 442 convertible someday
Burnished gold is the color of my W-31, good choice in colors! My Dad has literally thousands of plates and has several out of state tags but I do not know if he has any 1970 MO tags but I will check and let you know.
Old August 14th, 2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by orange442
Burnished gold is the color of my W-31, good choice in colors! My Dad has literally thousands of plates and has several out of state tags but I do not know if he has any 1970 MO tags but I will check and let you know.
Back in high school one kid's dad picked him up on occassion in a gold 442 convertible. It had the black hood stripes and sounded like a boat - I was hooked!

I checked your profile but didn't see an album. You should upload some pictures of your collection I see some cool cars listed in your signature.

Finally, thanks for checking for a MO license plate for me!