General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Original License Plates Found!!!

Old March 25th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Ben

Original License Plates Found!!!

Sweet!!!
When i bought the car in january, the owner said he had the original plates, but after looking he found original plates for just about ever other car their family had owned over the years, but not the olds's.

Anwyay, I got an e-mail from him yesterday letting me know that he had found them!

Now I get to try and fight with the DMV to let me run them.
Washington State allows you to run year of MFG plates if it is registered as a collector car... But the problem is, Washington ran the same plates from 1963-1966 A plate that said "WASH 63" On it. In 1966 they swichted to a new style with the full word "WASHINGTON" on it. They kept using the WASH63 plates until they were used up- so some countys started using the new plates immediately, others didn't start the new plate until 67. My car was bought new in a pretty populated county so it got the new style plate, with ABI as the letter codes.

Fast forward to today- the DMV's classic plate chart only shows the WASH 63 plate as correct for 1966... Though i have found internet references to others having to fight to get their correct plates allowed.

So I will have to jump through some hoops to register it. Hopefully won't be too painful since i have access to both previous owners, and the 1984 title that i have that lists the original plate on it.
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM

That's awesome! Having anything original for these old cars is nice but the original plate is just COOL! I got the original CA tag with my 72 but I'm in NC so no way I can run it legally...but, I live in a small, rural town and nobody cares so I run the orig tag around town. Did you also get some original paperwork?
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by scott_442
That's awesome! Having anything original for these old cars is nice but the original plate is just COOL! I got the original CA tag with my 72 but I'm in NC so no way I can run it legally...but, I live in a small, rural town and nobody cares so I run the orig tag around town. Did you also get some original paperwork?
You'll have to go over and read my first post in the newbie forums... i'm too lazy to retype it all, but yeah, my car only had two previous owners, i bought from the 2nd. Tracked down the original owner a few weeks ago and he sent me a pic of the car when it was brand new (photos in that thread)

edit... adding URL to my newbie post:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-66-owner.html

Last edited by RAMBOW; March 25th, 2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added url
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Randy C.

I'm in Olympia and I registered my '68 442 using the plates my dad had issued to it when he moved here in 1971. I also found a pair of WA plates at a swap meet that end in "442" that are clearly a late '70s issue, but I had no problem registering them with my '69 442. In either case, it was $45 and I was out the door with no problems. It's a nice feature for collector cars here because that's the last money you spend for plates - no new tags each year, no new plates every 7 years, no more money out of your wallet at all. Oregon does the same thing, except that they will do it when a car is 25 years old - a car has to be 30 years old in WA to do it. You shouldn't have any problems using those plates with your '66. Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1968Olds442front.jpg (44.2 KB, 5 views)
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

Sweet ride!! I have the original Ca black and yellow plates for my '66. It even has the dealer frames, it came from a dealer only 20 miles away, Century Olds in Van Nuys. Built in Fremont. Always a local car!! A friend in Texas has the same frames on his '67 442 and a friend out here has them on his '65 Cutlass. I believe I'm the 3rd or 4th owner. DMV fought me but I got 'em. I've had '66 Olds in one style or another for over 20 years.

Last edited by 66 Olznut; March 25th, 2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Registered

I have the original CA plates and paperwork, second owner. Mine was delivered in January 1971 to Burch Olds in Alahambra, have the dealer plate frame too. Ohio has had the year of manufacture plate option for at least 20 years, get hysterical plates then send in a photcopy of YOM plate/s to register. You only need the front, otherwise you have to have both here on regular cars. I see those prison made vanity plate copies of the old Ohio plates and guys use them with no problems, never get hassled. Everybody knows they didn't have vanity plates back then but a lot of car guys are also cops. I know a bunch and have the trusty FOP cards they give me just in case. I keep a card, my license and a $50 all sandwiched together in my wallet.
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Trying to remember member

Ohio has the "year of manufacture" plate registration, and I really like that.
I was lucky enough to get XX-442 plates for all three of my 442s. They all came from the same guy, too. You can see them on my webpage: http://wmachines.shubes.net
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Captain of my ship

plates

Here in Nova Scotia we only have to run 1 plate on the rear , that is where I have the antique plate and on the front I have a 1969 plate that I am going to use. Maybe they will let you get away with that over there in Washington. My mother was born in Tacoma , anywhere near you?
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:11 PM
car guy

Thats a sweet find
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Past Administrator

Excellent, I am happy for you. I tried for a while to get 1946 Missouri plates but finally gave up. To have the actual exact plates that were assigned to your car is just plain cool.
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Ben

Sweeeeeeeeet...
DSC00002.jpg

DMV didn't hassle me at all... just showed them the 1984 title copy that i had that showed the number and they did it.