Fraud w a r n i n g !!!

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2017, 03:30 PM
57 Holiday Coupe

Fraud w a r n i n g !!!

WARNING......I just "purchased" a front and back windshield from a total dirtbag in California, going by the name of DJ. He gave his full name as Dario Narell from Hayward Ca. He was so full of bull _ _ _ t, that I can't believe he talked me into wiring him payment (had to be from Walmart) before shipping. He sounded so convincing, that I did. What a mistake.

The glass never came, and now he has disconnected his phone. $500 down the drain.

DON'T BE FOOLED BY DJ !!

Buster Hoffmaster
512/627-4870
Old August 21st, 2017, 04:01 PM

Sorry to hear something like that. Always feel free to question this forum about dealing with someone you don't know. They may know something. You also might wan't to deal thru PayPal or credit card which will allow you some protection.
Wayne

Last edited by 35tac; August 21st, 2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old August 21st, 2017, 04:25 PM

So sorry to here that. I can't stand these situations and sure wish I could catch some of these people. On another note, sometimes you can google the phone number and will see fraud associated with the number. For sure not a catch all but sometimes will at least prove it is a bad number.
Old August 21st, 2017, 04:54 PM
Olds Fever

Did you send payment to an actual street address or a PO Box? If a PO Box, that could have been a red flag and hard to track... If a street address, maybe he can be tracked down by law enforcement under some sort of mail fraud charge...
Old August 21st, 2017, 05:06 PM
57 Holiday Coupe

Originally Posted by 35tac
Sorry to hear something like that. Always feel free to question this forum about dealing with someone you don't know. They may know something. You also might wan't to deal thru PayPal or credit card which will allow you some protection.
Wayne
Thanks. When talking to another "car guy" for over an hour one gets a pretty good idea of character and knowledge....at least I think I have that ability. He had all the glass dimensions and knew all about what clips and trim I needed. But boy was I wrong. I was completely conned.

There were also a number of "red flags" that should have caused me to call bull***** such as.......no computer, no bank account, and a cell phone that did not take pictures. (really...??). Payment was to him at a street address (required by Walmart). He only would accept payment from Walmart.

So, call me foolish, but I REALLY did need that glass, so I took a chance. No more chances on parts for my project !!!
Old August 21st, 2017, 05:09 PM
57 Holiday Coupe

Originally Posted by Bee Saint Louis
Sorry to hear that. There is a guy here outside of Dallas, TX in Newark, TX that may be able to help you. He has lots of glass. Check CL Dallas. Good luck
Thanks, but I already checked with CL, and they do not have the glass I am looking for.

However, another group member has connected with me, and apparently has just what I need. I hope this deal turns out to be real. I sure would hate to post another sob story ;<))

Buster46
Old August 21st, 2017, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Did you send payment to an actual street address or a PO Box? If a PO Box, that could have been a red flag and hard to track... If a street address, maybe he can be tracked down by law enforcement under some sort of mail fraud charge...
A couple of issues here. Mail doesn't have to go to a street address for it to be subject to the mail laws. PO boxes are also legitimate addresses (they're at the post office!). What matters is, was the U.S. mail system used to perpetrate the fraud?

I would say in this case no, because the money was wired to the seller, rather than mailed. That's probably why the seller wanted the money sent by wire. (Why it had to involve Walmart makes no sense.) The mail system is not involved, therefore he can't be accused of mail fraud, and the post office stays out of it.
Old August 21st, 2017, 09:34 PM

What glass are you needing ? I know Hayward real well maybe give out the address and I could check it out some day.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 06:11 AM

Bummer.

I hope you find the glass you need.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 06:34 AM
57 Holiday Coupe

Originally Posted by jaunty75
A couple of issues here. Mail doesn't have to go to a street address for it to be subject to the mail laws. PO boxes are also legitimate addresses (they're at the post office!). What matters is, was the U.S. mail system used to perpetrate the fraud?

I would say in this case I could not claim mail fraud because the money was wired to the seller. That's probably why the seller wanted the money sent by wire. (Why it had to involve Walmart makes no sense.) The mail system is not involved, therefore he can't be accused of mail fraud, and the post office stays out of it.
Unfortunately, the whole thing was well orchestrated to avoid prosecution. Many red flags that should have made be back off. Live and learn, although I am getting a bit old to still be learning such basic cautions. ;<((
Old August 22nd, 2017, 07:18 AM

There can't be too many Dario Narell's in the Oakland area. This is the only one I found

Dario C Narell
1326 Santa Fe Ave, Berkley, CA 94702-1047

Last edited by allyolds68; August 22nd, 2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 09:46 AM
57 Holiday Coupe

Originally Posted by allyolds68
There can't be too many Dario Narell's in the Oakland area. This is the only one I found

Dario C Narell
1326 Santa Fe Ave, Berkley, CA 94702-1047

Yes, I think that is him. He gave me a different address, but I will check out this one. Thanks for the help. So, even if I have the address, I live in Texas. I am not going to fly or drive to CA and knock on his door and ask for my money back. And as far as the police, all I have as evidence is the receipt from Walmart showing him as the recipient.....no "sales agreement" or purchase order.

But I am going to call the Hayward police today and also the local District Attorney's office to at least report him.

I am sure he is aware that there is a $$ threshold that makes serious prosecution hard to justify.

Thanks again.

Buster46
Old August 22nd, 2017, 05:58 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I would say in this case no, because the money was wired to the seller, rather than mailed. .
You are correct... I Read right past the "wiring" part, I kept thinking money order...
Old September 1st, 2017, 04:58 PM

Angry Fraud character

I too went through the whole scenario just as you did Walmart and all , except I did not send him any money. But he did know everything about the parts I wanted, fast talker. Same area in California. And I talked to a guy in PA that got burned for 600 dollars by this crook. So he is still out there and will continue until he is caught I imagine, it's a sickness
Old September 2nd, 2017, 05:22 AM

2 things, you should put this in the feedback section more people will see it there and you should get some pine tar & a new bat. Certain people only understand certain things.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 06:39 AM
72 Olds CS

Where are you guys gating in contact w this character? On this site? If yes what is his username
Old September 11th, 2017, 10:15 AM

Just had a guy call me from SF CA today, saw my wanted add for dash pad, said a friend told him about my ad. Talked for an hour, very knowledgeable about Olds. Had everything I needed for my Delmont (his dad used to restore them) and more all NOS. Cant take pictures, no internet, etc
Going by name Stevon Williams, anyone here know him?
Sounds like same deal as above.

Last edited by jsworkstd; September 11th, 2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old September 11th, 2017, 11:26 AM
delete

Originally Posted by jsworkstd
Just had a guy call me from SF CA today, saw my wanted add for dash pad, said a friend told him about my ad. Talked for an hour, very knowledgeable about Olds. Had everything I needed for my Delmont (his dad used to restore them) and more all NOS. Cant take pictures, no internet, etc
Going by name Stevon Williams, anyone here know him?
Sounds like same deal as above.
Sounds very similar. I wouldn't do business that way.
Old September 11th, 2017, 11:48 AM

Sounds familiar here too. Used to be a guy North of Dallas that had a resto shop. He was very knowledgeable on anything Olds. Sold a bill of goods when he had a chance. Would take your car, store it, never work on it and when you went back to take it home because it was never worked on, would charge a huge storage bill and you were lucky if there were any parts left of any value. Would file a mechanics lien, and take your car. He finally got caught and spent some time in prison. Left Texas and last I heard was in California. Hope its not the same person.