General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oklahoma car shop investigated for possible VIN fraud

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2010, 05:12 AM

Oklahoma car shop investigated for possible VIN fraud

Bought a Shelby Mustang lately?

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/article...for-VIN-fraud/
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Registered

Lame Horse

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I was just about to buy one , thanks for the heads up.

"OSBI special agent Gary Perkinson told The Oklahoman that employees were cooperating with the investigation and said they did remove VIN plates but did not know it was illegal."

The judge always told me "Ignorance is no excuse".

When the investigators walked in and asked them to see the cars they probably said "What's a Mustang??"..."What's a car???".

"The Oklahoman has reported that several cars from Classic Recreations of Yukon were seized last Thursday, July 8, after Yukon Police and Oklahoma Highway Patrol officers stopped a car pulling a trailer owned by the company loaded with two junk Mustangs the day before."

How could they tell??
Aren't they all junk??
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:46 AM

OSBI special agent Gary Perkinson told The Oklahoman that employees were cooperating with the investigation and said they did remove VIN plates but did not know it was illegal. Perkinson also noted that VIN plates from junked cars were found on at least two of the new Dynacorn bodies at the shop.
He didn't know my ***.

They were in business to sell fraudulent cars. This is why I think Barrett Jackson has ruined the hobby IMHO.
You have more and more shops getting busted for cloning original cars with salvage titled VIN tags and reselling
them as "Original" high performance RARE cars. There was a Shelby restoration shop in Texas that got
busted too in 2009 or 2008 and shut down.

I'll never buy anything other then a clone for this reason. Too many scam shops out there looking to do
questionable acts for maximum profit. In the end, you're just buying a car.....it doesn't matter WHERE or WHEN
it was built. Some get crazy over that kind of stuff but I think it's a ripoff personally.

I think Carroll Shelby authorized them to do it also judging by this threads info.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind.../58560-busted/
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista

"The Oklahoman has reported that several cars from Classic Recreations of Yukon were seized last Thursday, July 8, after Yukon Police and Oklahoma Highway Patrol officers stopped a car pulling a trailer owned by the company loaded with two junk Mustangs the day before."

How could they tell??
Aren't they all junk??
ROTFLMAO

Blue, you slay me. They don't call 'em "Ruststangs" fer nutt'in.
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
He didn't know my ***.

They were in business to sell fraudulent cars.
Amen!

Interestingly it is NOT illegal under federal law to remove and reattach VIN tags if "reasonably necessary for repair". It is VERY illegal to do so with intent to commit fraud, however.
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
The judge always told me "Ignorance is no excuse".
Really? "Always?" How often ARE you in front of a judge?

I, too, learned that ignorance of the law is no excuse, but I learned it from my 5th grade teacher!
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:43 AM

Well, you have to wonder, with Dynacorn building all of these bodies, where were the vin tags coming from to register and put these cars on the street. Is replacing the entire body a restoration? I don't think so.
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:33 AM

On the Mustangs I owned, the VIN was stamped into the sheetmetal on the left front wheel well. Couldn't get removed without a torch or a grinding wheel. These were 65 and 66's. Don't know when ford went to the tag in the windshield or in the door post.
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well, you have to wonder, with Dynacorn building all of these bodies, where were the vin tags coming from to register and put these cars on the street. Is replacing the entire body a restoration? I don't think so.
No, it is not restoration. You will hear countless arguments that it is, with all kinds of absurd justifications. But notice that is *always* being promoted by someone that has something to gain financially by doing so.

Try "selling" that concept to anybody in any other antique arena. You and your lame justifications would get laughed right out of town. For instance, just ask any expert in antique furniture what happens to the value of a valuable piece if you just *refinish* it.
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:36 PM

they were chopping cars if they were towing in 2 junk mustangs the day b4!!!!!!!! think about it!! they buy 2 junk mustangs for 1000 a piece than they steal 2 shelbys or shelby clones and switch the vins!! and poof they got 2 shelbys for a few thousand!!

when i was 18-19 i bought a very clean 68 cougar xr7 it was a out of state car when i tried 2 register it here there was a porblem with the paperwork i couldnt get CA plates or pink, i bought a junker cougar from a recycle yard and switch the vin tag in the door and bondoed the 1 on the drivers fender i got plates and drove it for a year or so than traded it 2 my cousin for a 72 cutlass s, he still has it and drives it, i knew it was wrong back than but i didnt know how wrong i just wanted my plates, i gave the junk cougar back 2 the recycle yard and they crushed it for recycle
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Interesting story.
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Interesting story.
dont get me wrong the car wasnt stolen it was just impossiable 2 get the paperwork, i tried and tried the CA dmv had me send out registerd letters asking for noterized pink slip and i never got responces, it was a AZ car and the pink had 2 be noterized 2 be released, after months of tring i gave up and bought the CA shell 2 switch the parts from the AZ car onto the CA car and ended up just switch vins because the salvage yard said they would crush the other car for free, i should of done the work but i was young
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM

from classic recreations site.........

The Shelby G.T.500CR is sure to raise your pulse with its 545 horsepower and the reliablity of a fuel injected car. Each Shelby G.T.500CR is hand built at our facility located in Oklahoma. Modern amenities include authentic Shelby Performance Parts, rack and pinion steering, race inspired suspension, oversized disc brakes, and more. We start with an original 1967 or 1968 Mustang Fastback and perform a complete restoration including media blasting, sheet metal replacement and show winning paint and body. Each authentic Shelby G.T.500CR will be listed in the Shelby Worlwide Registry.

they aren't lying. they start with a 67 or 68 mustang fastback, and replace sheet metal. well, if it's cheaper to replace the whole body than it is to repair the original, i'd be swapping the vin numbers too. what's the difference if i replace all of the sheet metal in my garge by myself using reproduction parts, or buy a reproduction body that's already done? they're also not passing the cars off as original shelbys, hence the company name of classic recreations. going by what all they do to the cars (drivetrain, suspension, brakes, etc.), there isn't much original parts on them anyway. so why should the body be any different?

i just don't see the problem. either that or i don't really care.........
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by scr8p
from classic recreations site.........

The Shelby G.T.500CR is sure to raise your pulse with its 545 horsepower and the reliablity of a fuel injected car. Each Shelby G.T.500CR is hand built at our facility located in Oklahoma. Modern amenities include authentic Shelby Performance Parts, rack and pinion steering, race inspired suspension, oversized disc brakes, and more. We start with an original 1967 or 1968 Mustang Fastback and perform a complete restoration including media blasting, sheet metal replacement and show winning paint and body. Each authentic Shelby G.T.500CR will be listed in the Shelby Worlwide Registry.

they aren't lying. they start with a 67 or 68 mustang fastback, and replace sheet metal. well, if it's cheaper to replace the whole body than it is to repair the original, i'd be swapping the vin numbers too. what's the difference if i replace all of the sheet metal in my garge by myself using reproduction parts, or buy a reproduction body that's already done? they're also not passing the cars off as original shelbys, hence the company name of classic recreations. going by what all they do to the cars (drivetrain, suspension, brakes, etc.), there isn't much original parts on them anyway. so why should the body be any different?
i just don't see the problem. either that or i don't really care.........
Okay, so you don't get it.
It is *not* the car that had the VIN tag. Period. Doesn't matter what you do. So why use the old VIN tag?
Using that logic, it makes as much sense to use a VIN tag from an old Plymouth. Who cares, right?
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM

no, i think i'd care enough to have a plymouth tag on a plymouth.

switching vin tags around on cars doesn't bother me. for instance.......

i have a 55 chevy belair 4dr. sedan. a rock solid car with 35,000 original miles. my whole goal from the day that i bought the car was to convert it to a 2dr., simply because the price of decent 2dr. rollers are rediculous, and i got the 4dr. for next to nothing. so, i went out on a 6 year search for the perfect 2dr donor body to do the conversion. one that wasn't worth fixing, but with the areas that i needed in decent shape. the one i found has the vin plate and the title. do you really thing i'm gonna leave the 4dr. vin tag on there when i make it a 2dr.? i don't think so.