delta88 converteble rear bench speaker

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2011 | 11:36 AM

delta88 converteble rear bench speaker

i'm seeking a original speaker to fit the rear bench of a 1969 confertable delta 88.

Old April 17th, 2011 | 01:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Some suggestions

I found one on ebay at this link: http://cgi.ebay.ca/1965-65-Oldsmobil...item415824cd0a

Don't know if it's what you need, but I'm under the impression that the rear seat grilles would be the same for 98 and 88's. If you don't mind grilles that don't have the 'rocket' emblem, the same grilles were used in the Chev, Buick and Pontiac. Only thing is I believe they all had their own center emblems.

Anyway, maybe one of the guys on this site might be able to hook you up with what you are looking for for less than the ebay one.

I'm not sure, maybe someone else can answer this.
Would the rear seat speaker grill be pretty much the same from 65-69? If that was the case you might be able to expand your search to those years, and also include the Toronado rear seat speaker grill?
Good luck on your search and project.
Old April 17th, 2011 | 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by D Appeldorn
i'm seeking a original speaker to fit the rear bench of a 1969 confertable delta 88.
Are you looking for the speaker itself, or the grille in front of it? What Allan R has found is the grille. If what you need is the actual speaker behind it, I wouldn't try to get an original as the cone would be dried out after 40+ years.

I replaced the rear speaker in my '67 Delta 88, which is in the same location as yours, with a modern replacement of the same size. I bought it at a local automotive audio shop.
Old April 17th, 2011 | 01:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Are you looking for the speaker itself, or the grille in front of it? What Allan R has found is the grille. If what you need is the actual speaker behind it, I wouldn't try to get an original as the cone would be dried out after 40+ years.

I replaced the rear speaker in my '67 Delta 88, which is in the same location as yours, with a modern replacement of the same size. I bought it at a local automotive audio shop.
Good point Jaunty.
Only thing I would point out, since I'm not sure if D Appeldorn knows is that if he is keeping the original radio, I believe the speaker replacement needs to be 10 ohm rated.

D Appeldorn: Sorry if my post contained the wrong information. I know there are plenty of replacement speakers you can get for your car. Just be careful doing the R&R so you don't need to end up buying the speaker grille
Old April 17th, 2011 | 10:50 PM

Could you tell me what type of speaker?

I did not have the original one, bought a speaker but did not fit.
The cones on the back of the speaker are often to big.
Old April 18th, 2011 | 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by D Appeldorn
The cones on the back of the speaker are often to big.
You mean the magnet?
Old April 18th, 2011 | 08:49 AM

jep,

first i did fit 2 small ones, and later 1 bigger.
But it does not fit nice becouse of the magnet are bigger.
And could not find one that fits correct and not need to grind or cut the backplate of the seat.
Old April 18th, 2011 | 09:14 AM

What is the actual speaker size? My guess would be 6x9.
Did it look like the bottom one in this picture?

If so, they are still out there but getting harder to find in good shape...

If factory correctness is not important, Pyle makes some low-profile ones that might fit.
Old April 18th, 2011 | 11:17 AM

I looked at the rear speaker in my '67 Delta 88 just now over lunch. It is a 6-inch by 9-inch oval speaker. It should be possible to find a modern replacement of the same size. The holes for attaching the speaker to the grille might not be in exactly the same place on the replacement, but a little ingenuity should allow you to come up with a way to attach it.

I don't know if the '69 Deltas were still using the same size speaker, but whatever size it was, I'm certain it would have been one of the standard oval sizes.

What I actually did in my particular situation was a bit more involved. It's almost two years, so I'd forgotten until I took a look, but I had some 4-inch round speakers sitting on the shelf, and rather than buy something new, I just cut a thin piece of plywood to fit over the speaker opening in the grille and cut a 4-inch round hole in the plywood to mount the speaker to. Then I mounted the plywood to the grille. It was very simple, and you see none of it because it's behind the grille. I did the same thing for the front speaker under the dash, and I have an aftermarket stereo radio in the car with the front speaker as the left speaker and the rear as the right. Not a perfect arrangement, but I didn't want to be cutting into the doors or kick panels or anything to mount new speakers. It sounds fine, and the look of the speakers is completely stock.
Old April 18th, 2011 | 12:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If you are looking for OEM, I have several of the 6X9 speakers in very good condition. They have not been tested, but I have no reason to believe they would not work. They have no rust or corrosion, and look pretty much like they just came out of the factory. This is the same speaker that was mass produced by GM AC Delco for the factory radios way up into the 80's. There is still a fairly good selection of them up here to choose from. They should be a direct fit for the hole spacing you have in your car. (They look like the one that Rob posted - lower speakers in his pic)

If you want pics, LMK and I'll send you some. Part number is 7937455 - 10 ohm speaker. I know that shipping to Netherlands is expensive, but have no idea how much. If you are interested I can pre-package it and find out how much the postage will be from Canada Post. LMK. I would sell the speaker for $15.00 Canadian + shipping. No charge for packing.

If you decide to go with new, that's ok too.
Old April 18th, 2011 | 12:45 PM
Ben

i think the convertibes with that center speaker had a 4x7 or something. It is not a conventional 6x9 speaker- however a modern 6" coaxial speaker would fit fine and have decent sound- might even be able to fit 2 of those in there.