Swapping new bench on old bench tracks?

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Swapping new bench on old bench tracks?

Hello all! I really love having a good old bench seat in my car but it is worn so badly that the coils are poking up into the air. I considered swapping to buckets but I would really prefer to stick with a bench in this car for now. I know that with Gm buckets, many times you can swap seats from another car onto the pre-existing tracks (such as being able to put say, Cavalier, Grand Am, or in my case 4th gen Trans Am seats on my 3rd gen IROC-Z tracks). My question is, does this apply to GM full bench seats (not 60/400 as well in at least some cases? I ask because my local U-Pull-It has dozens of cloth and leather bench seats in GM trucks, SUVS, and LeSabres, Luminas etc. If I could pick up one of these seats and just bolt it onto my existing bench tracks that would be great! (or be able to bolt those tracks on the existing floor studs). If anyone can shed some light on this possibility that would be great. Thanks for any help guys! -John C.
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Ben

The answer is no.

No modern bench from a truck or any car will "match" your factory install point.
its possible you may get close, but highly unlikely it will fit the original install points.

Now if you get a bech seat from any other 66-72 Gm A-body, then yes, they will bolt right to your tracks.

If you like your bench seat, why not take it out of the car, strip it down, fix the broken springs and recover it?

Its not that hard to do.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM

Where are you located? I have a bench that I pulled from my 71 Cutlass.