General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

67 cutlass manual bench to power bench conversion

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2015, 08:05 PM

67 cutlass manual bench to power bench conversion

I'm putting a power bench seat in place of my manual bench in my 67 cutlass. I've got the brackets from opgi to weld in. I've got the tracks and everything mounted into my old seat from donor seat and width wise everything is identical. I'm getting 45 1/4" front and back width from center to center on seat and old mounting holes in floor pan. Now do I center the front bolt on new bracket over front holes in floor pan and square it up from there? Or are they offset forwards or back from old mounting holes. From just laying them down in floor pan, it looks like the front of the brackets should be mounted directly over the old front holes dead center. Just want to make sure because I couldn't find bracket location in fisher manual or chassis manual
Old May 5th, 2015, 08:09 PM

I just want to get these dang floors done! I've been working on them off and on for a month! I just gotta weld these braces in so I can primer, seam seal, and put the dynamat down. Should be smooth sailing after that.
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:22 PM

What's the story on the seat you removed?
Any chance it's an an arm rest seat?
If so, do you want to sell it?
What is your location?
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by 67442nut
What's the story on the seat you removed?
Any chance it's an an arm rest seat?
If so, do you want to sell it?
What is your location?
The seat I removed the set up from, was from a 72 4 door cutlass. It's a straight bench with the rigid back that doesn't fold down or anything. It was in pretty bad shape and is now at the dump. I did pull the head rests off in case someone wanted them. They were in pretty good shape.
Old May 7th, 2015, 03:10 AM

The front of the power set up mounts in the same place as the manual seat.
Old May 7th, 2015, 09:53 PM

So I tac welded the mounts from opgi in and set my seat in. The front of the seat looks like it's sitting up too high! There's only like 4 inches between the bottom of steering wheel and top of the seat. Could someone give me a measurement from floorboard to bottom of seat in lowest position. I'm wondering if the seat has some really thick cushioning on it or something. Everything lined up perfect and I centered the bolts on the front of the brackets over the center of front holes. It put the rear holes about 3" forward but it seems like it's not sitting right. Any help? Photos?
Old May 8th, 2015, 08:16 AM

ive pullled 20+ power bench seats out of 66-7 cars and have never seen "front" brackets they just mount in the manual bench spots..the only time ive seen front brackets is for a bucket seat

theres a pair of arrow head shaped brakets for the 2 rear mounts

post pics of the brackets you are talking about...ill post pics of factory brackets i cutout of a 67 GS
Old May 8th, 2015, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by marxjunk
ive pullled 20+ power bench seats out of 66-7 cars and have never seen "front" brackets they just mount in the manual bench spots..the only time ive seen front brackets is for a bucket seat

theres a pair of arrow head shaped brakets for the 2 rear mounts

post pics of the brackets you are talking about...ill post pics of factory brackets i cutout of a 67 GS
Ya I'm just going to cut the front half of the brackets off and bolt into the front holes. It's still only 5/8" difference in height. I'm wondering if I can just turn the sliders around so the taller part is in the back and use the whole bracket. I'm going to experiment!
Old May 8th, 2015, 03:54 PM

Before you cut anything, did you turn the power on and see where the seat was? Could be all the way up.
Old May 8th, 2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Before you cut anything, did you turn the power on and see where the seat was? Could be all the way up.
Ya thanks koda I sure did. It was in lowest position. The back of the seat can't go any lower. It sits about 1/2" above floor pan and goes back and forth great with no clearance issues. It just seems awfully close to the steering wheel. The seat was reupholstered. I'm wondering if they put really thick cushions. The upholstery isn't correct for sure. The seat tracks are from a 72 cutlass. Could it be possible that the front feet on the tracks could be taller than the 67 feet? The bottom of both seats were identical so I know the tracks are the same used in 67 but the feet may be taller in the front?
Old May 8th, 2015, 05:02 PM

Maybe power seats had to sit higher for clearance for the motor and trans assembly?
Old May 8th, 2015, 06:57 PM

Can you post some pictures and maybe measurements? I believe you should have more clearance than that. It would be nice to clarify what's wrong before you begin cutting things.

John