Black Dash Parts

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2010, 07:01 PM

Black Dash Parts

I am looking for a black dash for a 1970 442? If you have such a part that you are looking to sell please send me a note/message. Thanks.
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:05 PM

The complete dash?? (ie dashpad and plastic bezel/housing that the guages, radio, etc mount into)....or just the dashpad??
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:28 PM

Whatever u have have.....I am mostly interested in the dashpad alone, but if someone has the whole thing available I am open to offers.
Old September 1st, 2010, 05:23 AM

I moved your request to the parts wanted section for better exposure.
Old September 1st, 2010, 03:14 PM

Oh, OK thanks.....I should have thought of that myself.
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:52 PM

I have a black dashpad here. If you are looking for a perfect one, this one may not be for you. Overall, it's pretty nice but I'll describe the "defect":

The "Bad":

>The pad is from a '70 car....the '70 cars didn't use the push-in barbed nylon "stick pins" that were used after '70 to hold on the bright dashbead moulding. They were just glued on in 1970.

It's apparent that at some point someone tried to reglue the dashbead moulding onto the dash at some point in its life. Probably with Superglue.

So..there was a little bit of Superglue coating over the dash just below the area covered by the dashbead moulding...maybe it dripped down a bit whenever someone attempted this repair.

I was able to slowly "pick" away this excess glue but the graining on the dashpad has some variation in these spots. Some areas came out a bit smoother and a slightly more pronounced in others.

I can post detailed pics if you have interest showing what I mean. The largest "area" of this look is probably 2" x 1/4" or less. There are 1 or 2 other small spots of the same thing.

The Good:

>Dash, overall, started out VERY CLEAN...not one crack, dent, etc in the surface.

>The raised area around the headlight pull is also nice...sometimes these things get dented or warped from being "knee-d" (I think) by owners with long legs (or something...who knows? but I see it on the headlight pull area on a lot of dashes).

>I scrubbed the complete dash a few times and shot it with a good adhesion promoter and then SEM Landau Black to give it a "new" look. The reason for this is that on an original dashpad (especially black), while they may look great, once you get one out in the sun you really start seeing all the minor rubs and dull spots that inevitably occur on the original finish over the years. You see this on a clean, dry original pad....after all the ArmorAll type stuff that hides these defects somewhat is removed.

>This pad was also black originally so no color changes with the SEM respray.

>The area over the guages doesn't exhibit a lot of "sag" like some of these get over the years. Is it perfectly shaped like an original?? Probably not after this many years but at the same time it's not one that you look at and say "boy, that one is really sagging over the guages"

>All mounting points, studs, etc on the back in the hard plastic are intact, in good shape and have never been broken, etc.

If you want pics I can send them or post them tomorrow or the next day. You may want one that has a perfect grain/texture surface over every inch of the pad but I'll throw this one out there.

Besides, maybe someone else will have interest if you don't.

If someone besides the author of this thread has interest in this PLEASE DON'T POST HERE...IT'S HIS THREAD. You can PM me if you want pics, etc.

This is an extra I have had for years and I'm not going to need it on my cars as the pads are fine in them.

Is your car AC or Non-AC?? This is a bare pad but I may have some extra Non-AC end vents and the center filler plate for this one around here.

Thanks

Last edited by 70Post; September 1st, 2010 at 09:57 PM.