Alternator Harness Clip

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2019, 08:38 PM

Alternator Harness Clip

Need the wiring harness clip for a 1970 Cutlass that attaches to the stud on the back of the alternator. Need two of these clips.
Old July 15th, 2019, 10:56 AM

Bumping this back up... The aftermarket vendors show they have this clip, but it's the same part they all sell for the firewall wire clip that attaches to the heater box. These aren't the same clips - though if someone had an original we could see, maybe the reproduction could be modified somehow? I'm struggling to find a pic of this clip that holds the alternator wires to the alternator itself - not the "S" clip that attaches to the engine bracketry.
Old July 15th, 2019, 07:21 PM

I've been dealing with the same thing....figured it probably wasn't correct but went ahead and ordered what Inline Tube called the alternator clip in their catalog. Sure enough....they sent the clips for the heater blower motor wire and even the label on the clear plastic bag said it was for the heater blower wire.

These are LARGER than the alt clip (if the alt clip ever existed) and won't work IMO.

I am beginning to think they may have used a plastic "loop"/strap on that R side small stud on the back of the alternator to hold the wire. I have seen that method used on some old original alts.

I am working on getting some "loop" straps in the "correct" size since I've yet to see the other style for an alternator. Yes, the not-so-great drawing in the '70 Assembly Manual shows something that sort of looks like the heater blower wire clip...but it would have to be a smaller version of it. NOTE: The PN's for the heater blower clip and alt wire clip in the Assembly Manual are DIFFERENT.
Old July 16th, 2019, 03:24 AM

Patton, we're on the exact same page. Maybe no one else has noticed this piece is missing from the catalogs? Or that it's different from the firewall part? If you come up with something, certainly let anthonyP and me know, and we'll be first in line. I haven't been able to even find a picture of the clip - and I wasn't paying enough attention at Lansing this year to look for these.
Old July 16th, 2019, 04:34 AM

After seeing this thread, I looked at some old alternators I have and one had the clip. Sadly when I handled the clip about 3/8 of an inch broke off of the end. It was either very brittle or already cracked. If anyone wants a picture of what is left I will post it.
Old July 16th, 2019, 05:29 AM

Could you post picture of clip in question?
Old July 16th, 2019, 05:58 AM

Stellar, if you have a pic you could share, that would be awesome. Thank you!
Old July 16th, 2019, 06:23 AM

wire clip

clip It is plastic

Old July 16th, 2019, 06:25 AM

I will see if I can find anymore sometime this week
Old July 16th, 2019, 06:28 AM

Stellar, THANK YOU. It looks like Patton is correct in that this is just a loop strap rather than the piece shown in the assembly manual. And I’m sure after all these years, most are broken. VERY helpful
Old July 16th, 2019, 08:22 AM

OK - Thank you very much Stellar!! That is the same thing I've seen on a couple alts I've had here. I'm going to order some of those "loop"/straps and see what they look like. I'll have them in a week or so. Easy enough to throw in a padded envelope.
Old July 18th, 2019, 08:37 AM

Is this the correct clip to secure the harness for an externally regulated alternator?
Old July 18th, 2019, 09:24 AM

Can't tell if it is or not. It also looks like the clip that holds the heater blower motor wire onto the firewall box stud (along the top of the heater blower box). That is "the problem" here.....the Assembly Manual shows that SOMETHING is used to hold the alt wiring to the back of the alt case but the drawing isn't real defined and the PN for the part is different from the PN for the heater blower motor wire clip. EDIT/ADD: Sorry, I went back and looked at the Assembly Manual drawing (Section 12, Page 166) and I mis-stated it above. The drawing of the clip is fairly clear and it appears to be another version (smaller stud size?) of the heater blower motor wire clip. Still....I don't recall ever seeing one on an alternator but who knows??

Have you tried slipping the "clip" you show onto the smaller stud sticking out of the back of the alternator?? (assuming you have the clip you posted the pic of)

I may have mentioned it earlier....the STUD that the heater blower motor clip slips onto is a 1/4" size. The stud for the wire attachment on the back of the alt is MUCH smaller.....it's a #10 screw size.

I have loop/strap "clips" on the way and will see how they fit, look, etc once they get here in a few days. As mentioned before, I've had alts here with the loop/strap style things on the back of the alt but don't recall ever seeing one with this "heater blower motor wire" style clip.

Again, THE PN's ARE DIFFERENT for the two parts in the Assembly Manual so that MEANS SOMETHING and to me, it means if there WAS a "heater blower motor style" clip made/used for the alt wires it MUST HAVE HAD A SMALLER HOLE where it slipped onto the stud on the alt.

Last edited by 70Post; July 18th, 2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old July 18th, 2019, 03:34 PM

alt harness clip

Here it is. Sorry, but this is the best I can do until I find a good one. I used a piece of black tape to attach the part that broke.
Old July 18th, 2019, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
Can't tell if it is or not. It also looks like the clip that holds the heater blower motor wire onto the firewall box stud (along the top of the heater blower box). That is "the problem" here.....the Assembly Manual shows that SOMETHING is used to hold the alt wiring to the back of the alt case but the drawing isn't real defined and the PN for the part is different from the PN for the heater blower motor wire clip. EDIT/ADD: Sorry, I went back and looked at the Assembly Manual drawing (Section 12, Page 166) and I mis-stated it above. The drawing of the clip is fairly clear and it appears to be another version (smaller stud size?) of the heater blower motor wire clip. Still....I don't recall ever seeing one on an alternator but who knows??

Have you tried slipping the "clip" you show onto the smaller stud sticking out of the back of the alternator?? (assuming you have the clip you posted the pic of)

I may have mentioned it earlier....the STUD that the heater blower motor clip slips onto is a 1/4" size. The stud for the wire attachment on the back of the alt is MUCH smaller.....it's a #10 screw size.

I have loop/strap "clips" on the way and will see how they fit, look, etc once they get here in a few days. As mentioned before, I've had alts here with the loop/strap style things on the back of the alt but don't recall ever seeing one with this "heater blower motor wire" style clip.

Again, THE PN's ARE DIFFERENT for the two parts in the Assembly Manual so that MEANS SOMETHING and to me, it means if there WAS a "heater blower motor style" clip made/used for the alt wires it MUST HAVE HAD A SMALLER HOLE where it slipped onto the stud on the alt.
My brother bought the alternator harness clip sold by In Line Tube, but the hole was way too large for the alternator stud. Probably would work for the heater fan harness on the firewall. The one in the picture fit much better, but it was a little loose due to the hole being worn after all these years. It has a 'trough' that holds the harness, not a loop as seen on the clip in the other photo. Hopefully someone with an original set-up can provide a photo of the [externally regulated] alternator's factory harness clip.
Old July 18th, 2019, 04:43 PM

That was it
Old July 18th, 2019, 06:00 PM

stellar, do you think the piece you have would have had a matching end with a hole that completed the loop under a nut and washer? Or do you think it's a single hole / formed loop that just "hooks" the wires in place? My gut says it's a full piece and the end of yours is missing, but it was still formed into a specific shape when new, like a lower case "b". I would guess the metal loops you can buy that are black plastic dipped would be close to the right piece, but an all plastic one would be correct. I'm seeing anthonyP's piece as well and hope that someone else has seen or heard of this one, since it does seem to match what you see in the manual. It needs to hold two wires, not one, so you would think the clip area would be bigger than the firewall piece.
Old July 18th, 2019, 06:12 PM

Check out the pic in post #5 - not the correct year, but showing what we're looking for

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nstall-136958/
Old July 18th, 2019, 06:18 PM

From what I remember your gut is correct. I'll see if I can find another one. It is all plastic. I probably have about a hundred more alternators that I can take a look at maybe this weekend.
Old July 18th, 2019, 06:25 PM

clip

I went back out to the garage to look at the alternator it came off of and found this other broken piece stuck to the bottom of the nut that held it on. So there you have it.
Old July 18th, 2019, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by stellar
I went back out to the garage to look at the alternator it came off of and found this other broken piece stuck to the bottom of the nut that held it on. So there you have it.
Awesome! That tells the whole story - thank you
Old July 18th, 2019, 07:40 PM

AnthonyP -The reason the ILT "clip" doesn't fit is b/c they are selling the WRONG PART, claiming it's for the alt wires. It's not...it's for the heater blower wire.

I'm sticking with the more "traditional" loop/strap type setup as shown by Stellar. I have a couple used ones as well...one broken and one intact.

I have two different sizes on the way....black in color as that's what mine appear to be. This may be a case where the pre-70 or pre-69 cars used a loop/strap (as shown in Stellars' pics) and then they changed to the mini-version of the heater blower motor wire clip....who knows??

Also AnthonyP.....Stellar's pics show a traditional loop type strap.....what he shows does not have some missing part with a separate wire retaining channel. His are completely different from what you show.

I'll have new loop/straps in a few days....got some in today but they're not the correct size so I ordered more.
Old August 9th, 2019, 02:35 PM

Is someone still in need of this clip?
Old August 11th, 2019, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by tsgutlass
Do you still have one? I have a couple new pieces that I'm going to use, but it never hurts to have an original part. Let me know what you would like for yours.

Bob
Old August 12th, 2019, 06:11 PM

I sent a message but no response received yet.
Old August 12th, 2019, 06:40 PM

I sent a message but no response received yet.
Old August 12th, 2019, 08:06 PM

I have new "loop"/straps in black but I have yet to see one of the "mini" heater blower motor wire clip versions like the drawing in the Assembly Manual shows.