70-72 cutlass factory gauges

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2012, 06:06 PM

not even close to original, but I've been using these for a couple years. no mods to the factory dash,
Originally Posted by GreekDog
I'm also looking for a rally pack for my 72 convertible...

600 bucks for a set of 3 gauges is a lot of money though. Does anyone know of the same setup but an off brand or maybe a set of 3 gauges that will fit the three openings and have all of the same information(oil temp, oil pressure etc)?
DSCN0140.jpg
Old August 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Scot - I looked at P 100 like you said. Sure enough. BTW how did you get a color plate of that. The resto guide is in B&W. I'm not arguing that the rallye pac wasn't available, I was just surprised that it wasn't included as part of the W31 package - that's all.

Joe - I just went and looked at my 72. There is no adaptor on the harness. If it was included with the wiring harness for 72, I would question why Rob had to re-pin his connector to install rallye pac gages??

I did look at the parts manual and you're right about the harness descriptions. From that info, it would be safe to suggest that some cars did get different harnesses as they came through the line. Wonder where the adapter I have originated?
Old August 10th, 2012, 04:27 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Allan R
Scot - I looked at P 100 like you said. Sure enough. BTW how did you get a color plate of that. The resto guide is in B&W. I'm not arguing that the rallye pac wasn't available, I was just surprised that it wasn't included as part of the W31 package - that's all.
Allan I found the said page of '70 brochure on the world wide web Although I do have that brochure, I didn't want to scan it if I didn't have to. Even with the W-30 you can see that it still was just and option. And yes it is surprising, because those "idiot" lights usually don't come on until it's bad. I like to be able to see the water temp and oil pressure.
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:22 AM

I think that must be a 1972 item.None of my 70 or 71 rally pac cars have that adapter.They just have the wires in the specified arrangement.That might have even been an over-the-counter item,for someone who purchased a rally pac from the dealer.
Old August 10th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
I think that must be a 1972 item.None of my 70 or 71 rally pac cars have that adapter.They just have the wires in the specified arrangement.That might have even been an over-the-counter item,for someone who purchased a rally pac from the dealer.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's 72 exclusive because of the extra wires for the seatbelt pod on the dash. Interesting hypothesis that it may have come as part of a package from the dealer. Wish there was a way to find out. When I bought it the guy said it came from a 72 that was rallye pac equipped from the factory, and had the fasten seat belt pod on the dash pad. It's a curious thing....BUT, given the choice of having to re-pin my harness or use this adapter, it's pretty much a no brainer which way I'm leaning.

Thanks all for the input on this wiring piece.
Old August 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joesw31
The harness between a rally pack car and a non-rally pack car is different and that is why Rob had to re-pin his harness and cut a wire to keep the water temp. gauge from pegging upon start up. A true rally pack car does not peg the temp gauge.

To clarify the harness adapter it was more tha likely in the package when you ordered a rally pack replacement harness from the dealer back in the day.

If you going to convert your car, then, use the adapter that you have.
That's the plan! So I'm thinking that the adapter will also eliminate the possibility of pegging the temp gage - I have an OEM set of gages I purchased separately and it should go with this without any problems. I really do appreciate the time and effort you've given to help with this.