70-72 cutlass factory gauges

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2012, 07:35 PM

70-72 cutlass factory gauges

Update, I found a rallye pac set up at the nationals this weekend!

I am looking for an original set of factory gauges for a 70 to 72 cutlass in nice fully working condition. Not interested in the tach, i just need the gauges only. Hopefully someone has just the gauges sitting aside somewhere. If you can help me send pics and price. Thanks for you help as always!

Greg

Last edited by w31man; July 7th, 2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: found parts
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Registered Luser

Are you talking speedo and the combo fuel gague with idiot lights? Is your car a floor shift auto or column shift auto or stick?
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:56 PM

factory gauges

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Are you talking speedo and the combo fuel gague with idiot lights? Is your car a floor shift auto or column shift auto or stick?
Only looking for the gauge that has the gas, oil pressure and temp on it. No idiot lights. Also dont need the speedometer.

Thanks Greg
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So you're looking for the left side of the rallye pac set?
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:35 AM

factory gauges

Originally Posted by Allan R
So you're looking for the left side of the rallye pac set?
Yes thats what im looking for
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:55 AM

you will likely have to get a complete set and sell the tach. the tach is much easier to find by itself than the gauges.
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Was thinking the same thing. One other thought on this. The Buick Sklark gage package looks very similar to the Olds rallye pac one. Have you thought of one of those? I don't know what your plans for this car are, so consider this just trying to get a feel for the project....

If you buy new, the best price on repro rallye pac is Parts Place. Don't know what their reliability is, but like Eric said, you can always sell the half you don't need. I lucked out several years ago and bought the part you're looking for on epay. All told ($$,taxes, shipping, customs) it ended up costing me around 300.00 I'm not sure I would do that again, but I was in the same boat as you - only needed the left half.
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
you will likely have to get a complete set and sell the tach. the tach is much easier to find by itself than the gauges.
Yes i thought about that but if someome wants the tach they prob want the gauges too. I will listen to all offers i guess and see what i kind of responce i get.

Greg
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:28 AM

factory gauges

No luck so far on finding just the rallye pack gauges, I do have someone that wants a factory tach now so if anyone has a complete rally pac set up for a 70-72 cutlass for sale please email me with all thats included along with price and pictures.

Thanks Greg
Old June 18th, 2012, 11:46 PM

I have a spare left gauge but not rally. It only has gas gauge and the two dummy lights. Let me know if your interested.... not a rally but they are original
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:35 PM

factory gauges

Originally Posted by FAZ442
I have a spare left gauge but not rally. It only has gas gauge and the two dummy lights. Let me know if your interested.... not a rally but they are original
Thanks but that what i have now, im trying to upgrade!
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:07 PM

Might as well get the entire rally pack in your car
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:43 PM

factory gauges

Might as well get the entire rally pack in your car
Well i did say in a prior post i would buy a complete set up. This is going in a 72 cutlass 4 door. Id like to make sure the engines doing fine but with a 350 2 bl not too concerned im going to over rev it haha.

Greg
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:36 PM

Great point.. have you considered small mechanical gauges under the dash?
I'm not a big fan of them but they are more reliable and cheaper. I have a rally pack in my car and also have a mechanical temp gauge under the dash.
Can never be too safe.

Just my .02
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:41 PM

I may have access to this but it will probably cost around $350-375 plus shipping. If you are interested, let me know and I'll see if it is still available.
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
I may have access to this but it will probably cost around $350-375 plus shipping. If you are interested, let me know and I'll see if it is still available.
I am still interested, is that for just the one side or both tach and gauges?
Let me know, pictures would be great also

Thanks Greg
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:02 PM

Great point.. have you considered small mechanical gauges under the dash?
I'm not a big fan of them but they are more reliable and cheaper. I have a rally pack in my car and also have a mechanical temp gauge under the dash.
Can never be too safe.

Just my .02
Yes i have concidered that i like things to look stock so i thought about hiding a couple behind the ashtray door will prob do that if i have no luck on the rallye pack

Greg
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:25 PM

The price is for only the gauges, no speedo, no tach. The last set of gauges I bought (with the tach), was in '99 and was $600. The gauge that was offered to me was very nice and worthy of a show car. I'll see what I can find out within the next couple of days.
Old June 20th, 2012, 04:14 PM

I'm sorry, made the call today and it was already gone........for $150!!!!!! I'm sorry I could not help out, but don't get discouraged. Try to be diligent, yet considerate and patient and the part will find you. Good luck!
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:42 PM

factory gauges

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
I'm sorry, made the call today and it was already gone........for $150!!!!!! I'm sorry I could not help out, but don't get discouraged. Try to be diligent, yet considerate and patient and the part will find you. Good luck!
Oh thats a shame what a great price too! Yes usually if you keep your eyes and ears open you can find almost anything. This sight helps alot too!

Thanks for trying to help!

Greg
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:25 PM

Don't believe everyone that says you'll have to buy both. I bought my tach and gauge a la cart and they came available within 3 or 4 months of each other. I paid $225 for one and $200 for the other. They're out there, if you're not in a rush you'll find it.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What Mike said. That's how I got my gages too. Dang I paid more tho.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:44 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

gauges

Sorry you missed out on that deal . Question I have is the speedo part of the rallye pac... specific to it or any difference in other speedo gauge or can one use just a regular speedo with the two rallye pack gauges. Also does anyone sell a repro wiring harness adapter for a change over.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:53 PM

The speedo isn't specific to the rallye pac it's specific to the shifter type (column shift vs floor shift)

Last edited by allyolds68; June 20th, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:54 PM

Factory gauges

Originally Posted by lunaboy
Sorry you missed out on that deal . Question I have is the speedo part of the rallye pac... specific to it or any difference in other speedo gauge or can one use just a regular speedo with the two rallye pack gauges. Also does anyone sell a repro wiring harness adapter for a change over.
The speedometer was the same on either the rallye pack or or the idiot lights. I believe you could get a speedminder speedometer but that was a seperate option.

Greg
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:04 PM

You said that you wanted to stay with a factory look. That's what I had in mind when I developed the gauge and stereo housings I build. The housing is based on the 8 track tape player housing and mounts exactly the same way so you don't have to drill any non factory holes.
Here's a link to an old ad I have posted here on the site. I can even build one that can combine a stereo and gauges if you'd like.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-housings.html

Be glad to help if I can,
Randy
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:06 AM

I used a rally gauge pod from a 73 442 in my 70 conv. until I found the correct one. You will have to fabricate a small bracket to make it work. If i remember correctly the wiring is the same as 70-72 rally gauges.

Don W
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:39 PM

factory gauges

Originally Posted by W70442
You said that you wanted to stay with a factory look. That's what I had in mind when I developed the gauge and stereo housings I build. The housing is based on the 8 track tape player housing and mounts exactly the same way so you don't have to drill any non factory holes.
Here's a link to an old ad I have posted here on the site. I can even build one that can combine a stereo and gauges if you'd like.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-housings.html

Be glad to help if I can,
Randy
Randy

I have seen your product and i am very impressed with it..its a great idea but not the look im looking for in a 4 door though. Thanks for your responce!
Greg
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:41 PM

Factory gauges

Originally Posted by Mr Shifty Sidney
I used a rally gauge pod from a 73 442 in my 70 conv. until I found the correct one. You will have to fabricate a small bracket to make it work. If i remember correctly the wiring is the same as 70-72 rally gauges.

Don W
Thanks Don!
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:12 PM

70-72 cutlass rallye pack

Still looking for a 70-72 cutlass rallye pack set-up. Looking for as complete of set up as i can get. Please respond with price and pictures, Have stuff to trade if that interests you at all too

Thanks Greg
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:35 AM

I'm also looking for a rally pack for my 72 convertible...

600 bucks for a set of 3 gauges is a lot of money though. Does anyone know of the same setup but an off brand or maybe a set of 3 gauges that will fit the three openings and have all of the same information(oil temp, oil pressure etc)?
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:54 AM

Beside changing the sending units, what changes have to be made to the wiring harness to do a conversion from idiot lights to gauges? Or does it require a new wiring harness?
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:05 AM

On the connector that plugs into the back of the gauge, a few of the wires will have to be rearranged. If I get time I will take a picture of a rally pac gauge connector.

Don W
Old August 8th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by GreekDog
I'm also looking for a rally pack for my 72 convertible...

600 bucks for a set of 3 gauges is a lot of money though. Does anyone know of the same setup but an off brand or maybe a set of 3 gauges that will fit the three openings and have all of the same information(oil temp, oil pressure etc)?
You can buy the rallye pac gages from other vendors. They have quartz clock movements. From what I've heard about them, they don't illuminate as well at night as OEM without modifying the interior of the case to match OEM color standards.
Parts place sells just the gages for 429.00

Actually 600.00 for OEM gages that may need some help is ball park. If they're in good shape they could be priced even higher. The same gages are sold by Year One (615.00) and OPGI (642.00). You would still need to get the harnesses and fittings to make them work.

Originally Posted by brown7373
Beside changing the sending units, what changes have to be made to the wiring harness to do a conversion from idiot lights to gauges? Or does it require a new wiring harness?
GM actually made a connector to plug into the existing harness and converts for the Rallye pac. I have one if you want to see what it looks like. In the meantime, here is a link to Rob's conversion he did on his rallye pac gage. The info is on page 12-2 of the CSM (right side of color sheet) https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post206963
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:54 AM

Installing the left rally guage only requires repinning the wiring harness.No adapter.The same black plug is used.they just had a different order of the wire arrangement.I have a section of a rally harness that I use to reconfigure a harness that was not originally from a rally pac.
If you look at the back of the standard guage,and then the rally pac guage,you will see the pins are not in the same order or configuration,and that is why the wires from the dash harness need to be rearranged in the plug.

As for the repop guages,they are nice,and should work fine,but for a concours resto,they do not have the same appearance as the originals.As with everything reproduction,they had to do something to set them apart from the originals.
Old August 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
Installing the left rally guage only requires repinning the wiring harness.No adapter.The same black plug is used.they just had a different order of the wire arrangement.
Well, I can't argue that repinning the wires would do the trick (no pun intended). However, GM DID have a connector that converted the regular harness for rallye gages. I know because I have one and if you follow the CSM conversion of pinning you'll see this is a direct plug and play. In addition - this one is for the 72 rallye pac that had the 'fasten seat belts' on the dash pad; that's what that long double pink/black connector is for. From comparing the cars I've taken wiring out of (70-72) it doesn't appear that anything special was done to ensure a 'rallye pac' harness was installed, when it was as simple as plugging in an adapter. Now I would be really curious to see the under dash wiring of a non molested 70-72 rallye pac wiring to see if this theory can be proven for all of those years.

Have a look:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2439.jpg (55.1 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2440.JPG (73.7 KB, 198 views)
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Joe, I'd love to know the answer if you could look it up. If you have a W31 that would be for 70 only, not 71/72. I looked up the W31 option for 70 and surprisingly there is no mention of U21 being included - so it must have been an option for that too.

I'm more curious than anything about how this adapter came to be - was it a 71/72 only thing? My curiosity is more aimed at the 'standardization' of the main body harness - I just can't see GM in the day having a 'special' harness for rallye pac cars. This one I know for sure is a later (after Jan 72) production because of the seat belt wiring. I did look that up in the 72 AM and there is a pigtail in the main harness for that connector. (I think they call it a Fisher connection)
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:05 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Allan look at page 100 in the Sullivan Resto book and it shows U21 as an option to check off for the W31 in 1970.
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:35 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Bottom portion is for W-31, middle is for W-30 and top portion is for 442 from the 1970 brochure

Old August 9th, 2012, 05:42 PM

My 70 W-31 does not have that adapter either..

Quick Reply: 70-72 cutlass factory gauges