Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

hard top to convert frame

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2010, 11:24 AM

hard top to convert frame

I looked in several manuals and couldn't find if a convert frame will bolt to a hardtop body. apples to apples as far as year both are same year and brand
be it a olds to olds or pontiac to pontiac buick to buick?
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:32 AM

Yes, as far as A-bodies go, a vert frame is the same as a 2 door frame of the same year, the vert frame just has boxing sections welded into both sides to make the frame more rigid for a vert because the lack of strength with no metal roof. Hardtop frames are much easier and cheaper, why would you want to put a vert frame under a hardtop as it is redundant.
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Havent you ever just said do you think that would work? The convert frame should be stiffer and he hold a body together better too?
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:29 PM

I have installed convertible frames into a few of the cars that I have owned,for that reason,to help stiffen it up.
Pontiac actually offered the option for the GTO,called the heavy duty frame,but it was simply a boxed frame(convertible),under a hardtop.
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
Havent you ever just said do you think that would work? The convert frame should be stiffer and he hold a body together better too?
Yes, I understand and agree but the vert frames are much more rare, hard to find, and worth quite a bit more than a hardtop frame. I just sold a nice hardtop frame with vert boxing sections from a wrecked vert frame to a guy because he could not find a nice original vert frame that was in his price range. If I wanted to box my hardtop frame to make it stiffer, I would do it differently than the factory did it and make it even stronger. My Dad just had a 70 Monte Carlo made into a convertible and the way the guy boxed he frame is much stronger than the factory boxing. Yes, it is not original looking, but neither is a vert Monte or a vert frame under a hardtop so originality really does not matter. Also, unless you are doing a frame off, boxing your existing frame means you do not have to pull your frame to put another one in.

Pic of Monte boxed frame:
Old October 17th, 2010, 01:40 PM

Olds option F35, heavy duty frame, $12.53 in 1966. Offered other years also.
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:23 PM

what is a convert frame go for in comparison to a hard top.
Old October 17th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

what is a convert frame go for in comparison to a hard top.
About $1000 more, based on Carlisle ASKING prices. Yes, I know asking prices are relatively meaningless, but it's the only data point I have.
Old October 17th, 2010, 04:35 PM

carlisle is a large show??
Old October 17th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

carlisle is a large show??
http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:56 PM

I advertised one last winter that was pretty nice,but had some light pitting in some areas.I had it blasted,epoxy-primed,and urethane coated. I listed it for $1500.00,and it sold the first day.I've seen them go for less,but I've seen them go for more.
Old November 6th, 2011, 09:40 AM

Hi, I just signed up yesterday. I was wondering if boxing a hardtop frame is worth it for a street car? Mild 455, I'd like to get a 5speed and posi. I'd rather have a handler, but a pass down the 1/4 is fun too. I only ask because I have my frame off, ready for paint. Should I attempt this while apart, or is it overkill and not a wise use of time?
Old November 6th, 2011, 09:50 AM

yes if you have it out and time would check out v 8 tv they did a frame also can brace up upper and lower mounts and look for other weak spots.
Old November 6th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

The convertible frame is not simply boxed with flat plates like a street rod frame. The boxing sections are formed "C" sections that are varying width and taper to properly fit the outer frame rails and still clear the floor. Without a donor convertible frame, this is not practical.

And sorry, but the modified frame shown under the convertible Monte above is NOT stiffer than the stock convertible frame. Whoever designed this is NOT a mechanical engineer. Removing the roof requires increasing bending and torsional stiffness. Bending stiffness comes primarily from the top and bottom flanges of the frame rail, not the sides. Torsional stiffness comes from making the channel a box, and the larger the box, the better. The photo above does neither (but it DOES significantly increase stiffness from a side impact - so long as the impact is at the frame rail).
Old November 6th, 2011, 04:48 PM

http://www.tntraceshop.com/photogall...s/180300-2.jpg
Old November 6th, 2011, 04:50 PM

http://www.tntraceshop.com/photogall...s/180300-2.jpg I have also seen welded supports to the upper control arms also not finding them easy
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:45 PM

When I install the convertible boxed sections,I also add some gussets & other bracing to other parts of the rear frame,to help stiffen it up as well.It's much easier when the body is off,and you can work over it.However,you do need to have an understanding as to where the body sits,to make sure it all clears when finished.